PDA

View Full Version : Attention "RAGE HEADLIGHT UNIT" owners

damo1
31-08-2007, 05:35 PM
I know theres a few of you lads out there with these units on your bikes so heres a question for you.

Ive just replaced the center two globes that were 12volt 20watt
with 12volt 50watt zenon globes that i found at bunnings for the magical price of $7.65 each.

Just wondering if anybody had tried these before they seem heaps brighter than the 20 watters as they should be and the actual reflector looks completly different than the standard ones to.

What does zenon actually mean????????

I know cars with zenon headlights have that real bright blue look to them but down lights[?] anybody know.

sheezymaneezy
31-08-2007, 06:22 PM
Xenon lights (HID), is referring to the type of gas used, as opposed to the traditional tungsten/halogen lights.
HID's also use a different lamp which produces more light as well.

BTW, bargain at that price!

sheezymaneezy
31-08-2007, 06:24 PM
BTW, because of how bright these are, you'll be blinding everyone (as you know already they're that bright). Automotive vehicles are required to have 'auto-leveling' kits. This is why you see cars and how when the hit a bump etc, the lights are only directed 'upwards' for a split second before being directed back down towards the ground again.

Docktor
31-08-2007, 06:31 PM
quote:Originally posted by sheezymaneezy

required to have 'auto-leveling' kits. This is why you see cars and how when the hit a bump etc, the lights are only directed 'upwards' for a split second before being directed back down towards the ground again.

Your on drugs

damo1
31-08-2007, 06:32 PM
Cheers sheezy there only my high beams mate so should be sweet;)

damo1
31-08-2007, 06:33 PM
quote:Originally posted by Docktor

required to have 'auto-leveling' kits. This is why you see cars and how when the hit a bump etc, the lights are only directed 'upwards' for a split second before being directed back down towards the ground again.

Your on drugs

[:0]this could get interesting:D

DaveK5
31-08-2007, 06:47 PM
Your on drugs
Mmmm..yes

Xenon is the gas..like halogen but better.

HID means high intensity discharge...ie. arc lighting, metal halide, just like the 240V ones used for industrial lighting
A 12V power supply steps up the juice to a high voltage (approx 300V I think) coupled with some electronics to maintain the arc and you have the brightest light possible.

scotty mac
31-08-2007, 07:03 PM
something els to look at is the size of the lil reflectors it determines the spread of the bream if you go to a lighting shop you can get narrow n spread beams.also i was running a high wattage in my ufo style light n it heated up that much it started to melted the plastic around the globe.

sheezymaneezy
31-08-2007, 07:36 PM

Your on drugs

Please tell me why people are defected with after market fitted Xenon lights. This is because no aftermarket HID system (to my knowledge, I sell HIDs) is DOT approved.

And why vehicles with HIDs stock all come out with auto leveler systems? Because they're so damn bright and are required to be used on public roads.

xjrjack01
31-08-2007, 09:40 PM

Your on drugs

Please tell me why people are defected with after market fitted Xenon lights. This is because no aftermarket HID system (to my knowledge, I sell HIDs) is DOT approved.

And why vehicles with HIDs stock all come out with auto leveler systems? Because they're so damn bright and are required to be used on public roads.

Probably cause they're so fugin' expensive to buy, makers of vehicles fell the need to justify the price with more gadgets like auto leveling head lights!

Docktor
31-08-2007, 09:58 PM
Then if the car or bike goes up a hill, i guess the headlights will point at the bumper bar? Coz the auto leveller will balance it to straight ? I fail to see how a auto leveller would work. It would have to be user conrolled ? Apart from that i had a sus around and they do exist, so I withdraw my accusaction of being on drugs, I cant find any info on how they work or handle hills and stuff, my thoughts are that they are a nasa secret or possibly 1 too many billys....

sheezymaneezy
31-08-2007, 10:01 PM
quote:Originally posted by xjrjack01
Probably cause they're so fugin' expensive to buy, makers of vehicles fell the need to justify the price with more gadgets like auto leveling head lights!

Maybe you should read up on the legalities of HIDs and the requirement of an auto leveling system. Vehicles only may use HID lights if they are fitted with them from the factory.

Simply put, aftermarket ones don't comply with ADR laws (as they don't have auto leveling and washers), and not only can you get defected, but can also void any insurance claim as they don't comply which is the major worry (although we ARE talking about streetfighters here [8D])

sheezymaneezy
31-08-2007, 10:06 PM

Then if the car or bike goes up a hill, i guess the headlights will point at the bumper bar? Coz the auto leveller will balance it to straight ? I fail to see how a auto leveller would work. It would have to be user conrolled ? Apart from that i had a sus around and they do exist, so I withdraw my accusaction of being on drugs, I cant find any info on how they work or handle hills and stuff, my thoughts are that they are a nasa secret or possibly 1 too many billys....

Here's a link that explains how they work. I didn't know how to explain it in my own words [:o)]

http://www.kenrockwell.com/bmw/540notxenon.htm

alfiestorm
31-08-2007, 11:28 PM
no no no and no you have all got it wrong the xenon or zenon is part of the codex by Hawkwind hence we have the xenon codex,

right ok pass me some more of the red ones they are wearing off
Oh yeah and if you want to go the way of gong you could have another cup of tea.

:):D

Jockney Rebel
01-09-2007, 04:10 AM
ALFIE I DIDNT KNOW U WERE A SPACE CADET ..MATE WE SUPPORTED THE 'SPIRIT OF THE AGE' DUDES IN 85 EVEN GOT MR CALVERT ON STAGE WITH US FOR A BIT[[sorry bout the caps ]