PDA

View Full Version : opinions on 250s?

pottsy
06-07-2006, 08:22 PM
[:I]Now I know its not what you guys are about, but as some of you are aware I’ve lost my licence (can ride again in December!) and it means another year off totting around restricted to 250cc or less.[xx(]
I'm always coming on here and constantly thinking about bikes but what do you guys like the look of the best. Because to get a new bike and possibly mod it to street fighter style over my enforced break. Bikes I’ve considered:
2 stoker like rgv or minto (but i don't really want to rebuild them every 15000k) wouldn’t street fighter either...
cbr fzr(ugly naked)
vtr (like these but what do you think?)
250bandit??
Or what else do you guys suggest?? Sorry for long post…
[:I]

devo
06-07-2006, 08:57 PM
Why don't you get a GSXR250, look good all fightered up I reckon
and they look pretty close to their larger relo's [8D]
Also heard they go a bit harder than the other 250 4 strokes
on the market.:D

TurboKat
06-07-2006, 09:05 PM
If you have to ride a 250, a 2 stroke is the only way to decent power, Suzy RGV, Yam TZR or RD LC, Kawa KR1S, or if you're serious, look for a Yamaha R1Z 250, V twin 2 stroke, Spondon lookalike tube frame, these things are import only & are just begging to be 'Fightered.
The screaming 4 cyl 250s are just fucking annoying (& so are most of the people who ride 'em.) [:0]

pottsy
06-07-2006, 09:11 PM
Gsxr250 are okay looking. How would I go putting on a custom sub frames on those little faired bikes (cbr etc?) I would like a bit of space between the wheel and the frame! Could you fit risers on these or have they cheaped out on them too much?

pottsy
06-07-2006, 09:14 PM
As to stokers... I’d be using it as a daily commuter so I’d need it too is reliable. Can modern two strokes be that? I’ll check out that bike you mentioned...

fimpBIKES
06-07-2006, 10:11 PM
i bought my 250bandit for $400 unrego'd last year
and i just re-rego'd it on monday

its a fucking pisser, its clapped out to hell but its fun as
like a little mini-bike
the thing is TINY (especially after pushing the katana around on the commute for the last few months!)

why not buy a cheap 250 and not fuck with it, they tend to sell for pretty much the same price u buy em for
and then it gives to 12months in the shed to work on your dream fighter til you get your license back unrestricted?? :D

pottsy
06-07-2006, 10:18 PM
I’ve already got a clapped out 250 (virago yeah yeah I know..)
Thing is I want a new bike with a bit more of a sporting edge to it. And I want to be riding my money not having it sit around in the shed. thanks for the advice though..

TurboKat
06-07-2006, 10:20 PM
It is a common fallacy that 2 strokes aren't reliable, they have a lot less moving parts than a 4 stroke = less to go wrong.
If you use a top quality full synthetic mixing oil (Motul, Silkoline, etc), premium fuel & decent plugs, you MAY have to replace the rings every 10K kms but seriously, anyone with NO mechanical knowledge can do it & it costs bugger all, it's a small price to pay for the level of performance you get in return.
There is nothing unreliable about a 2 stroke these days, get one & you'll never look back, everyone should own a 2 stroke at some stage in their lives.
In 1997, a mate of mine did a FULL State Championship season of Proddie racing & 6 or 8 club meetings as well on his RGV & apart from a couple of sets of plugs, he didn't have to touch the motor all season - not even new rings!

IMP-INC
10-07-2006, 02:54 AM
i reckon go the grxr250 or the vtr witha few engine mods there up, for 250 standards.. i owna spada bullet proof thing untill the motor blew, god damn no one told me they had gears, lmao

special-k
10-07-2006, 05:29 AM
Spada!

I had one with some streetfighter'd style added to it. Looked tough. They're not as quick as the 4cyl sportsbike style 250's but there's not a lot of difference in it. But when you're talking twofiddies power isn't high on the adgenda, lol

Tathagata
10-07-2006, 02:09 PM
Hmm, maybe I will consider a 2 stroker also. I get a kick out of running around on the VTR250, great little bike, but no power. I reckon I could like a little zip machine for a while :)

vtr420
11-07-2006, 04:46 PM
Vtr 250's are a fun bike and u wont be riding down the street with the bike screaming its head off with u not going anywhere eather ... and as i have said before if u just use it to communte around town go like +4/+7 in the rear u loss abit of top speed but ill beat any cbr 250 to 100 and it gives the rgvs a go to!!