PDA

View Full Version : engineers report

moog
16-08-2007, 09:19 AM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/393191630428512.JPG

I've finnished it but i spoke to an engineer on the gold coast who said that putting an 1100 engine into a 750 chassis is more than a 20% increase so he can't do it, does anyone know an engineer who can sign it off ???:(

fimpBIKES
16-08-2007, 12:51 PM
what u mean he "cant do it"

sounds like a cop-out to me, the whole point of the engineer is for special cases EXACTLY like this?!?!?

exile
16-08-2007, 07:02 PM
Surely fitting the oilburner 11 would of been a better graft, being alot lighter with more poke ???

BTW nice carbertoooters fella ;)

sharky
16-08-2007, 07:53 PM
I thought it was dependant on the power increase not the cc size ?

ozkat
16-08-2007, 07:59 PM
Moog, that is absolutley bloody fantastic! And so many people said it cant be done. There is another one at Goodna that has had 30mm added to the top frame spar, but yours looks so fuckin good, WELL DONE. Im at Nerang and i want to see it in the flesh. PM me mate ill supply the beer.

ozzy1100
16-08-2007, 08:07 PM
shane the one at goodna wouldnt be mick the tyre mans bike would it ?

ozkat
16-08-2007, 08:14 PM
quote:Originally posted by ozzy1100

shane the one at goodna wouldnt be mick the tyre mans bike would it ?

Yeah its Micks ;)

moog
17-08-2007, 06:39 AM
-OZCAT, Cheers mate,
no problem we'll hook up, but first i need to track down a engineer so i can get it registered.(i'm in Elanora)
Some people just don't "get-it", maybe you need to have owned a good GSX...
This one won the street-bikes in the uk some years ago, 1260, lock-up, shifter, billet clutch, double row gear box brgs, etc,etc...
Maybe someone could put me in touch with Mick to see who signed his off?

ozzy1100
17-08-2007, 09:21 AM
top shelf oz
i love going and seeing mick he knows my uncle
but you see if you get out of there in a few hrs lol not likely
the bike you talking about needs a bit of work at moment (wouldnt mind his crs's tho)
still would have liked 2 see it when it ran the 1/4

nelpd96
17-08-2007, 05:16 PM
The writing states for the LA modification code that if the engine is over 20% increase in capacity it must be engineered under the LA2 code but this one is written for cars.

There are two separate Codes for motorbikes. The first is the LL7 code which deals primarily with seat capacity modifications and the locations of lights and shit like that.

Rims changes are covered under the LS code and fuel tank mods under the LM code.

In paragraph 4 of the LL7 code is states that you are able to fit engine, front and rear suspension, transmission, fuel tank and exhaust without the requirement to engineer the bike if the components were an option from that manufacturer and don't breach ADR's.

The other option that you have is to get it engineered under the LO7 code which is for individually constructed vehicles (motorbikes) and you can do what every you want but you have to prove compliance with the relevant ADR's.

Long winded I know but the bottom line is the bloke that you spoke to didn't know what he was talking about. I will email a copy of the motorbike relevant codes to Si when I get the chance and he can host them on the site so that everyone can have access.

It will also depend on what state you are in because as far as I know QLD has not changed over to the NCOP.

Cheers
Paul

fimpBIKES
19-08-2007, 06:56 PM
wait a sec....

does that mean that my forged wheels on the tiller should have an engineers cert??
why, cars dont do they?

chopaweeza
19-08-2007, 07:26 PM
What most guys fail to realise is that the states are sneaking in laws and selectively choosing not to enforce them. Us Chopper Builders are seeing it more & more. Especially in Qld. What happens is, they ignore the law for a while & either ignore it or don't enforce it and then a couple of years down the track they spring it on the usually unsuspecting road user. When the road user tries to fight it they find it near on impossible as it has been in place for years and no one has challenged it. But wait, it gets worse. When it becomes open knowledge the insurance companies start to go more thoroughly over your bike and if they find things like Fimps wheels which under the letter of the law have to be Engineered they have an excuse to refuse or reduce your claim. It's their way of forcing older or non standard bikes off the road. Either stand up for your rights to be treated fairly or loose those rights. With alot of these things the Streetfighters Krewe & the adhoc Federation of Chopper Clubs are in the same boat as we are all getting screwed by the same laws. But, then we are getting organised to stand against it.

fimpBIKES
19-08-2007, 08:20 PM
your fuckin kidding me right?

why the be-jingo's do i need an engineers certificate for aftermarket wheels!?!?!!

thats truly fucked, i was just gonna get my bike insured as a regular TLR with a set of wheels (mainly cos they would be friggin expensive to replace in a crash!)

i still dont see how its any different to a cars wheels!!!!!!
this really pissed on my sunday

chopaweeza
20-08-2007, 08:02 PM
As it stands you might just have to. The way it's heading it will be Type Approval in the next dozen years or so. But, understanding the laws is half the battle in keeping your bike on the road & legal . One disturbing snippet I heard last year was the case of a rider that fitted a set of aftermarket lights to his bike in Victoria. I only heard snippets but he was suing his insurer after he had a prank after dark and the insurer argued that fitting the non-ADR approved safety equipment(ie. lights) resulted in the accident . Lost track of it and if anyone knows how the bloke went I'd really like to know . But, you can see the comparison . Say you fit a set of non-OEM discs to your bike and you run up the back of a van . and fill in the rest. Insurers are there to make money , the various government sections are out to justify their pay checks and politicians are out to suck up to a sensational headline where they can find it. The system is stacked against you so you have to get smart and learn their rules. So you can break them & get away with it. Just my thoughts on the matter but something to think about none the less.

fimpBIKES
20-08-2007, 08:33 PM
well.... i am aware that LEGALLY all the "apparently" ADR approved headlights
(and i apologise about this stu, i have been keeping it on the low-low)
u can buy arent legal to fit on your bike

from what i have been told from RTA and the local engineer is that you need to have the MOUNTS for the lights signed off by an engineer (at an additional cos of $130 from memory)

but still, the wheels thing is shitting me
also cos non of the insurers i have talked to have knocked me back soley on the basis of my wheels

would be great to have them pull out of a claim over this!!

Jockney Rebel
20-08-2007, 08:48 PM
whoops......... my bikes up for rego soon

nelpd96
21-08-2007, 02:35 AM
Guys,
I have emailed a copy of the codes that I was talking about to Si and he will up load them to the sight as some stage I suppose. You will be able to have a look through it all and at least be informed of what is required.

Cheers
Paul
(Stink'n Engineer)

Phill
21-08-2007, 07:04 PM
I know with Trucks, parts must comply to OEM or equivalent standards otherwise they wont insure them. All the parts must have an Australian standard marked on them or they will not insure them. No questions and no right for action. No "foreign" cheapie imports, no unmarked parts.
Makes my job interesting but a shit load easier if one of the drivers stuffs up.
Phill