PDA

View Full Version : rust in feul tank

ej03
12-08-2007, 08:14 AM
Hi all,
I think this has been covered before but I cant find the post.
I ve seen paint (oil based) used before but is the anything
else that can be used to seal the inside of a feul tank?
Thanks

Docktor
12-08-2007, 08:57 AM
This will amaze ya but its called fuel tank sealer.....About 80 bucks from most bike shops, Tis a 3 step stuff,think its phosphoric to etch, and a creamy goo stuff.Some say it works. I seen 1 gpz tank done years ago and the liner lifted after a bit but the dude doin it couldnt follow instructions to boil water.

Benz
12-08-2007, 11:41 AM
Plenty of approaches to this one, but it really depends on how bad the rust is.
Like Doc says the tank 'creme' sometimes lifts, if the prep is not spot on.I recently cleaned out a tank [GPX250} that had been "cremed", but not cleaned....what a fucken mess, the bike had no chance of running, with ugly lumps of shit floating about in the fuel, and other sections half clinging to the rusty metal. Took two days to clear out the crap.
I used diluted Gelcoat Cleaner [yep phosphuric acid] over a 24hour period of turning and shaking to remove most of the rust in my turboGeep tank. Afterwards the metal was a dull grey, but turned back to rust quickly. A repeat treatment, then WD40 swished around the heavily waterflushed tank has made the tank useable. A pinhole in the lower half was another result........but that's repaired now too, from the outside.....
Ascetic acid is another rust remover, used in commercial laundrys to keep rust tranferring to hospital sheets, from my understanding.
Rainex make a good rust remover, a mate of mine swears by his success with it in his ZL1000 tank. They would be all kawasaki tanks...........

ej03
12-08-2007, 12:05 PM
thanks guys the tank in question is an 85 gixer and its flaking inside (lack of use):D

Ashg
12-08-2007, 03:37 PM
http://www.ppc.au.com/coating_motorcycle.htm

I used this stuff the other day, it is awesome, but it must be prepared properly, it comes with all the stuff to do it, but the final sealer takes about 4 days to seal completely!
The guy at the paint shop said he did his car tank with it about 4 yeras ago and hasn't had a problem since.
About 70 bucks, there's a list of retailers on their website.

cutcat
12-08-2007, 06:59 PM
If its flaking, you have some serious rust. I would be putting my money towards another tank.