PDA

View Full Version : Battery draining in 5min while riding? '85 gixer

yellow750
11-08-2007, 04:36 PM
G'day all
Thought I'd fixed the problem by replacing corroded battery + lead to starter relay...
Bike started no worries... took it for a ride around the block and she was just about totally drained- had to push start her? I read about Foxy's problem, and I'm wondering if it could mean my starter relay has shit itself?

Cheers for any suggestions

cutcat
11-08-2007, 06:11 PM
Yella you need to see if the battery is completely drained. Short out your starter relay terminals to see if she will turn over. If it does then your relay is stuffed. If it doesn't turn over then its possible your battery is as flat as a tack, usually caused by a knackered alternator.

Gix11
12-08-2007, 11:16 AM
Battery problems usually raise their head in the winter mate. If it's going to be a dead battery this is the time of year you will discover it.

Benz
12-08-2007, 01:24 PM
Have you checked the startermotor terminal? On my slabby 11 the starter terminal was corroded, would start sometimes, but slowly got worse until I thought the starter itself was shorted internally.
Found the fault when I was about to change out the startermotor.
Always worth checking the main earthing straps too.....

yellow750
14-08-2007, 09:26 PM
Thanks for the replies.

The battery is a brand new Katana bat. I replaced a corroded wire going from the pos terminal to the relay. This helped heaps as far as getting the cranking power to turn the engine over for starting. The thing is, the brand new battery is draining in no time at all with the engine running, and obviously the headlights and the occasional indicator while riding.

Any idea how much a starter relay will set me back, 'cause I am thinking of just replacing mine and sort of going through a process of elimination until the bastard's good again?

Cheers again

Johnnie5
14-08-2007, 09:44 PM
hih

you have a prob of flat battery

reg/rect is what i would be looking at

head here http://www.electrosport.com/electrosport_fault_finding.html

get yourself a multimeter and start looking

alfiestorm
14-08-2007, 11:05 PM
do you have the plug for the drain that should stop it :D

Or when it is running put a multi meter across the battery terminals and what reading do you have ? less than 13 volts dc and yooz have a charge circuit problem which everything you have said so far is pointing towards.

shock horror I have two spare alternators in my garage and could be persuaded to part with one if needed in exchange for some money stuff.

alf