PDA

View Full Version : From the daughter of a soldier

papa smurf
16-11-2007, 07:35 PM
>
> Had this emailed to me today & thought i'd share it.
>
>
>
>
>
>
> From the daughter of a soldier,
>
>
>
> Last week I was in Melbourne attending a conference. While I was in the
>
> airport, returning home, I heard several people behind me beginning to
>
> clap and cheer.
>
>
>
> I immediately turned around and witnessed one of the greatest acts Of
>
> patriotism I have ever seen.
>
>
>
> Moving through the terminal was a group of soldiers in their uniforms,
>
> as they began heading to their gate everyone (well almost everyone) was
>
> abruptly to their feet with their hands waving and cheering.
>
>
>
> When I saw the soldiers, probably 30-40 of them, being applauded And
>
> cheered for, it hit me.
>
>
>
> I'm not alone. I'm not the only red blooded Australian who still loves
>
> this country and supports our troops and their families.
>
>
>
> Of course I immediately stopped and began clapping for these young
>
> unsung heroes who are putting their lives on the line everyday for us so
>
> we can go to school, work, and enjoy our home without fear or reprisal.
>
>
>
>
>
> Just when I thought I could not be more proud of my country or of Our
>
> service men and women a young girl, not more than 6 or 7 years old, ran
>
> up to one of the male soldiers.
>
>
>
> He knelt down and said "hi," the little girl then asked him if he
>
> Would give something to her daddy for her.
>
>
>
> The young soldier didn't look any older than maybe 22 himself, said he
>
> would try and what did she want to give to her daddy.
>
>
>
> Suddenly the little girl grabbed the neck of this soldier, gave him
>
> the biggest hug she could muster and then kissed him on the cheek.
>
>
>
> The mother of the little girl, who said her daughters name was
>
> Courtney, told the young soldier that her husband was a Corporal and had
>
> been in Afghanistan for 5 months now.
>
>
>
> As the mum was explaining how much her daughter, Courtney, missed her
>
> father, the young soldier began to tear up.
>
>
>
> When this temporarily single mum was done explaining her situation,
>
> all of the soldiers huddled together for a brief second.
>
>
>
> Then one of the other servicemen pulled out a military looking
>
> walkie-talkie.
>
>
>
> They started playing with the device and talking back and forth on it.
>
>
>
>
>
> After about 10-15 seconds of this, the young soldier walked back over
>
> to Courtney, bent down and said this to her, "I spoke to your daddy and
>
> he told me to give this to you."
>
>
>
> He then hugged this little girl that he had just met and gave her a
>
> kiss on the cheek.
>
>
>
> He finished by saying "Your daddy told me to tell you that he loves
>
> you more than anything and he is coming home very soon."
>
>
>
> The mum at this point was crying almost uncontrollably and as the
>
> young soldier stood to his feet he saluted Courtney and her mum.
>
>
>
> I was standing no more than 6 feet away as this entire event unfolded.
>
>
>
>
>
> As the soldiers began to leave, heading towards their gate, people
>
> resumed their applause.
>
>
>
> As I stood there applauding and looked around, there were very few dry
>
> eyes, including my own.
>
>
>
> That young soldier in one last act of moment turned around and blew a
>
> kiss to Courtney with a tear rolling down his cheek.
>
>
>
> We need to remember everyday all of our soldiers and their families
>
> and thank God for them and their sacrifices.
>
>
>
> At the end of the day, it's good to be an Australian.
>
>
>
> RED FRIDAYS
>
>
>
> Very soon, you will see a great many people wearing Red every Friday.
>
>
>
>
>
> The reason?
>
>
>
> Australian's who support our troops used to be called the "silent
>
> majority". We are no longer silent, and are voicing our love for Country
>
> and home in record breaking numbers.
>
>
>
> We are not organized, boisterous or over-bearing.
>
>
>
> We get no liberal media coverage on TV, to reflect our message or our
>
> opinions.
>
>
>
> Many Australian's, like you, me and all our friends, simply want to
>
> recognize that the vast majority of Australia supports our troops.
>
>
>
> Our idea of showing solidarity and support for our troops with dignity
>
> and respect starts this Friday and continues each and every Friday until
>
> the troops all come home, sending a deafening message that every
>
> Australian who supports our men and women afar will wear something red.
>
>
>
>
>
> By word of mouth, press, TV -- let's make Australia on every Friday a
>
> sea of red much like a homecoming football team.
>
>
>
> If every one of us who loves this country will share this with
>
> acquaintances, co-workers, friends, and family, It will not be long
>
> before Australia is covered in RED and it will let our troops know the
>
> once "silent" majority is on their side more than ever, certainly more
>
> than the media lets on.
>
>
>
> The first thing a soldier says when asked "What can we do to make
>
> things better for you?" is..."We need your support and your prayers".
>
>
>
> Let's get the word out and lead with class and dignity, by example;
>
> and wear something red every Friday.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> IF YOU AGREE -- THEN SEND THIS ON
>
>
>
> IF YOU COULD NOT CARE LESS THEN HIT THE DELETE BUTTON.
>
>
>
> IT IS YOUR CHOICE.
>
>
>
> THEIR BLOOD RUNS RED---- SO WEAR RED!
>
>
>
> LEST WE FORGET
>
>

Seifer
16-11-2007, 07:40 PM
Bla Bla fukety bla, this email has no doubt been transformed into 6 differenct nationalities. When was the last time you saw anyone clap for anything at an Aussie airport let alone our troops.
http://www.redfridays.ca/emailstory.htm

ozkat
16-11-2007, 07:51 PM
Hey Seifer, who cares if its been transformed into 6 differenct nationalities. Its a great read. And the Aussie troops should be clapped at every airport, just think yourself fuckin lucky your not speaking Japanese these days. Think before you type Bla Bla fukety bla because thats what yours is.

Seifer
16-11-2007, 08:36 PM
As I said its unrealistic, I'm not saying its not true what it stands for, I'm just saying that we wouldnt see that kind of thing here in Australia, its how it is. People don't clap our troops. Don't get me wrong, I'm just not a fan of the need for made up stories to stimulate national pride. Especially something which could be translated into any language or nation, makes it kind of meaningless in that sense. The story could be easily be trasnalted to suite Pakistani or Iraqi values by simply changing a few city locations. Would it still have the same meaning then? If you want me to feel the pride which I already do thankyou very much, then tell me a real story about real Australian soldiers. Not a fairy tale.

Seifer
16-11-2007, 08:44 PM
You know what ozkat and papa, it was a tad insensitive of me to talk like that. My apologies, I just prefer real stories to what can be perceived as emotional proganda. I stand behind my troops and nation 100% and get the tears on Anzac day with the rest of us. We are Australians, our story shouldn't be able to be translated. Thanks for the post none the less. It was a nice sentiment whoever wrote it.

jakam04
16-11-2007, 08:45 PM
quote:Originally posted by Seifer

Bla Bla fukety bla, this email has no doubt been transformed into 6 differenct nationalities. When was the last time you saw anyone clap for anything at an Aussie airport let alone our troops.
http://www.redfridays.ca/emailstory.htm

Mate,

I agree with Ozkats sentiments in his reply to your post above. Even if this has been transferred through 6 nations etc, it still gives people a sense of hope and pride in hearing about such a selfless act. If and when I eventually serve overseas as a part of MY DUTY, I hold onto the hope that someone so selfless offers my family som sort of hope such as this to put their minds at rest.

One thing I have found during my numerous years in the Services is the sense of mateship. I can walk up to any serving member and start a conversation relating to service life or most other subjects etc and know that others show the same traits of Mateship, Comradery and Esprit de corps.

If you dont agree with things such as these... disregard it like you would if you had recieved it by an email and move on.

Jarrod

Seifer
16-11-2007, 08:46 PM
Agreed Jarrod, apologies.

ozkat
16-11-2007, 08:53 PM
Seifer Your ok. Pity there arnt more like you. There are a few of us on ASF who have served in the ADF, a few that still serve in the ADF, and hopefully a few that will. I look forward to having a beer with you.

jakam04
16-11-2007, 08:58 PM
quote:Originally posted by Seifer

Agreed Jarrod, apologies.

Tis cool mate. People have different views on things and it shows people your a bigger person to acknowledge you may have been wrong or may have hit a nerve etc and offer apologies etc. Everyone on this site and fucked up in one way or another... specially me, all is forgotten quickly on this forum when the beer/bourbin starts to flow... see you at AFR08

Jarrod

special-k
17-11-2007, 07:29 AM
Mate I'm proud to be an Aussie and proud of our troops. It should be the most respected job on the face of the planet. I'm in the UK at the moment and they done seem to give a flying fuck about their troops away fighting and defending and facing death every day. There's not a lot of patriot spirit for their troops here...

(ps: the story sounds very "american" if you ask me, lol)

GaNDaLF
17-11-2007, 08:17 AM
Sorry guys but its a fake it was on media watch the other nite it seems that this has been put up on those fuck tard politians web sites and it has even been used in the states, it is a fucking fake.

Seifer
17-11-2007, 09:32 AM
quote:Originally posted by GaNDaLF

Sorry guys but its a fake it was on media watch the other nite it seems that this has been put up on those fuck tard politians web sites and it has even been used in the states, it is a fucking fake.

Dude, read my posts, we have already established that.

GaNDaLF
17-11-2007, 09:53 AM
Yea relised that after, whateva still shit anyway..

Cruisecontrol
17-11-2007, 04:52 PM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/76082455557479.jpg

Jockney Rebel
17-11-2007, 04:58 PM
quote:Originally posted by special-k

Mate I'm proud to be an Aussie and proud of our troops. It should be the most respected job on the face of the planet. I'm in the UK at the moment and they done seem to give a flying fuck about their troops away fighting and defending and facing death every day. There's not a lot of patriot spirit for their troops here...

(ps: the story sounds very "american" if you ask me, lol)
i know what u mean mate my old man was in the scots guards for 20 odd yrs and im an ex army brat during the 70's and 80's we got shit about northern ireland and anywhere else we were posted
so called british people on at us about being imperialistic ,i feel privilidged to have 7 members of my immediate family who have served in the british armed forces in all the services
3 great uncles who spent 4 years as guests of imperial japan .
1 grandfather who helped liberate burma and defend the south pacific
2 uncles who served in korea ,
1 cousin who served in bosnia came back with 1 less limb tryin to save a mother and child
and last but not least my dads cousin who emigrated here joined the australian army and was killed by the americans in vietnam
Im proud to be part of this Commonwealth
like it says on me tool box......british by birth.....scottish by the grace of god ....australian by choice

Jockney Rebel
17-11-2007, 05:06 PM
...having said all that their aint a lot of support for anyones troops because we re all so desensitzed to the real horror of war, any war ..ask any soldier, any real soldier and theyll tell u the last thing they wanna do is go to war. people rely on them to do their duty much the same as we rely on nurses to work for peanuts , fireys to volunteer for duty, and cops to keep us safe but time ad again we find that the group who we put our trust in most and rely on to make descisions that affect all of us are the ones who let us down the most

feckin politicians

Cruisecontrol
17-11-2007, 06:21 PM
quote:Originally posted by frankenbiker

ask any soldier, any real soldier and theyll tell u the last thing they wanna do is go to war. people rely on them to do their duty much the same as we rely on nurses to work for peanuts , fireys to volunteer for duty, and cops to keep us safe

I disagree. I did my time in this country's Army and I could count the number of people that didn't want to see active duty on one hand.
The nurses, coppers and fireys do their job every day. The Defence Force is simply training for theirs until a war pops up. It is akin to going to Uni for the rest of your life and never actually getting a job.
You join up, you know the risks.

Jockney Rebel
17-11-2007, 08:40 PM
cruise i didnt mean to say they didnt wanna do their duty
all i meant was that no one in their right mind wants to kill people especially if theyve seen what its like up close

Slain
19-11-2007, 11:56 AM
the public hates the defence force, plain and simple.
some bases as soon as you are going off base after finishing work you must be in civi attire because the pblic reaction is not good to say the least.

appo
19-11-2007, 12:13 PM
At the end of the day our gov dont give 2 fucks about its staff,
You wont see me clapping ozzy troops!
we are fighting this war for america NOT australia! and our troops
get killed for america NOT australia

jakam04
19-11-2007, 12:21 PM
quote:Originally posted by appo

At the end of the day our gov dont give 2 fucks about its staff,
You wont see me clapping ozzy troops!
we are fighting this war for america NOT australia! and our troops
get killed for america NOT australia

So you wouldnt clap for our troops cause they are fighting for America?? Do you think they have a fucking choice? Its just like the vets that returned from Vietnam... how much crap did they endure when they were only following orders. The orders come from the politicians and heighrachy... The pollies and hobnobs wont be the ones you need to clap for as they are safely tucked away in their a/c office sucking brews and eating biscuits. Dont disrespect the troops for simply following orders.

Jarrod

appo
19-11-2007, 12:25 PM
they do have a choice jarrod!!! its called joing the forces.
theres no national service anymore!! you dont have to became AJ!.
Im not disrespecting anyone mate!! Its my choice who I look up too.

zx12argh
19-11-2007, 12:32 PM
My old man served as a section commander in Vietnam until he copped an m60 round in his back. he now suffers from PTSD and has recently developed bowel cancer likely from exposure to agent orange. He was a national serviceman and asked to go to Vietnam in defense of his country - regardless of whether or not it really was.

I makes my blood boil whenever I see any form of attack on our armed forces personnel. I will stand and applaud any group of Australians who rise to the defense of our country regardless of the cause. I'm proud of my old man and of the actions of our troops OS.

GaNDaLF
19-11-2007, 12:42 PM
Yeap I'm wid ya all the way appo its about choice and thats it.

appo
19-11-2007, 12:48 PM
it is about choice these days mate...
however it wasnt when blokes like ZX's old man were fighting...
now guys back then.... they were hero's, fighting because they were made too,
and doing it for nothing but honour... you didnt make big bucks back then like
now!!
sorry to hear that about your dad ZX... but yet another situation were our gov
didnt bother to protect their own!

zx12argh
19-11-2007, 01:15 PM
Thanks for your words appo but I have to disagree with you on a couple points. My father asked to go. Just because you were conscripted does not mean you had to go. My father actually had to persuade his parents to sign a permission form to let him go (he was under 21 at the time) - considering my grandparents and great grand parents had left Germany to get away from the wars after loosing most of their family this was not an easy thing for him to do.

Australian Troops are our global ambassadors and being in conflict is only half of what they do - just take a look at the reconstruction efforts after the tsunami and peace keeping efforts in our neighboring countries. Yes, they get sent to do jobs that are unpopular and its the average joe who sees this and quickly forget the other work they do.

I've never been in the forces so I dont see all sides to the story. But what I do know is that its mostly average blokes doing a hard job miles away from friends and family. Its attitudes like :

quote:
they do have a choice jarrod!!! its called joing the forces.
theres no national service anymore!! you dont have to became AJ!.
Im not disrespecting anyone mate!! Its my choice who I look up too.

that reflect the treatment of the Vietnam Vets when they came home. Dispassion and apathy can quickly turn to anger when the public start to become tired of hearing about ongoing wars that don't affect them. If the public aren't behind our troops then the government wont have any real motivation to support them after the fact. My old man is now being taken care of the government 35 years after the event and yeah its appreciated but support from day one would have saved the lives of vets who have died of related illnesses or suicide.

Gandalf, appo, I'm not trying to argue with you or change your opinion. Just stating my point of view which is no doubt differnent to yours.

GaNDaLF
19-11-2007, 02:11 PM
Zx I feel for you and your Dad, don't get me wrong I'm not saying that I have no compassion for returned forces, I just don't want to see any of our people getting killed or injured fighting for a cause that is little or no concern of ours, we could go on and on about this subject. I resent the fact that ppl will say that you are not patriotic if you have an opinion about such things as that bullshit email, first and formost we are not a nation of blind patriotic idiots like the states, we as a nation have a choice as to what wars we get involved in and I dont think the public of Australia would have condemed our men and women of the armed forces if they had refused to get involved in Iraq or afganistan. Also it is to easy for ppl to say that they represent our country so they should go, thats bullshit they have as much right to strike as anyone fuck me the cunts in parliment can't lock em all up. Now I don't want to start anything else in this thread, however when the bodies of the solders that died overseas just recently,were bought home the Vietnam vets right next door to where my business is didn't even have thier flag at half mast....is that respect? you know they couldn't even respect thier own....Now thats a shame we expect that from the cunts in canberra not from the ex-forces. I dont think that we had ever been threatend as a nation until we started involving ourselves in America's wars. We need to grow up and start making our own choices, we are supposed to be the friendliest nation in the world. (just my opinion!)

Cruisecontrol
19-11-2007, 03:16 PM
I never thought I would see limp-wristed PC wankers around these parts.

Thats the price of fame I guess...

appo
19-11-2007, 03:20 PM
I understand your point ZX.....

anyway, all the best for your old man mate!.

papa smurf
19-11-2007, 07:28 PM
Holly shit, didn't that stir up a hornets nest.[:I]
Sorry to hear about your dad ZX, all the best to him & your family from me & mine.
For the record i did NOT know that the email wasn't real although i should probably have thought about it a bit longer before posting.[8)]
I do however stand by & support whole heartedly our past & CURRENT members of the defence forces, i too lost familly in & because of war & my dad would roll over in his little urn at this argument.
I myself always intended to follow in his footsteps but unfortunately the ADF had different ideas, apparently i failed the psych test.[:0]
Remember the old saying,,,,,,,"everyone hates the soldier,,,,,until the enemy is at the gate"
Rick