PDA

View Full Version : ECU/ignition key match on late model bikes

cutcat
10-08-2007, 09:08 PM
Hi guys, I need the situation explained regarding the coding link between the ECU and the ignition key on late model bikes. From what I understand the key is matched to the ECU. So if I buy a crashed bike that has no key, I cannot bypass the ignition as the ECU will not respond as it needs to recognise the key. Is this right?? or can the ECU be fooled? New keys can be bought for about $2000 I hear. Is it possible to use early model ECU's??

EXBEN
10-08-2007, 10:15 PM
I recently had to fit a "Key Kit" to an 06 R6 because of this problem.
The customer bought the bike from the auctions & thought he was getting a good deal, till he realised it would cost him another $2400.
The kit came with a Red key (the one you don't wanna lose),2 black keys, a new computer,a new tank cap, a new ignition barrel, & a new seat cowl lock.
I've heard that some computers can be <s>fooled</s> reset to accept new keys by some clever locksmiths but I haven't actually seen it done.
Using a computer from an older model may work if the motor is the same as the previous model which is probably unlikley.
eg: The 06 R6 has 8 injectors which the previous model didn't so it wouldn't work in this case.

Johnnie5
11-08-2007, 08:29 AM
yes you are right

rumour has it that honda F4i's in the states done have the HISS system (hondas key chip) , so for an aus bike you get a locksmith cut a key and get an ecu+Loom from the USA on ebay for a few hundred and plug in

always ask about keys before buying and make sure you get the red key , the red is the master and required to program the bike with new keys , btw afaik hondas can only take 4 keys and then itd replacement ECU time

Slain
13-08-2007, 03:42 PM
yep honda hiss system has the key matched to the ecu. mate lost his key on his 954 stunt bike so i loaned him my ecu and key and it worked straight away
he also said factory 'race kit' computers dont have the hiss os a normal cut key can work which is what he replaced his with

HueyonaBlade
13-08-2007, 07:58 PM
Can you not use a keyless ignition to over come this problem? or does it still have to have the ignition intact?

zx12argh
13-08-2007, 08:47 PM
quote:Originally posted by HueyonaBlade

Can you not use a keyless ignition to over come this problem? or does it still have to have the ignition intact?

Its an engine kill at the ECU so no at least on HISS

Not sure if this is gospel but there are 2 versions of HISS on Honda's . The newer system requires a new ECU so big $$$ is you loose your key. A mate of mine lost his keys and a Team Scrotum workshop reckoned they could flash the memory of his CBR to suit a new key because it was the older system. He found his key tho so didn't end up getting it done.

What bike are you talking about mate?

cutcat
14-08-2007, 08:27 PM
I'm a Kwaka owner so I was wondering what years are affected by these SAFE keys?? I'm guessing at the introduction of the new era EFI so 2004 on???

Hillsy
14-08-2007, 08:36 PM
I think 2004 + for Kawas. My 2000 ZX9 runs a "normal" key system and this was the same til 03. They have a 100 ohm resistor in the ignition barrel wiring to shut down the ECU in case of hot wiring.
Also R1's up to 02 (maybe 03) run the same.

zx12argh
14-08-2007, 08:36 PM
my 03 12r has regular keys - so maybe...