PDA

View Full Version : TL1000R Radiator Setup Opinions

fimpBIKES
05-07-2006, 12:01 AM
hi all

im FINALLY looking at fitting my radiator up (waiting on plates for my rearsets so i thought i may as well [}:)])

so i have it zip-tied into position
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/261135865141372.jpg

it seems close to the wheel, but i did a bit of a "boingy boingy" test and it seems to clear the gaurd alright

the radiator is a curved gsxr750 one, and it has no filler cap of its own so......

fimpBIKES
05-07-2006, 12:09 AM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/26113586547774.JPG

i have this "breather tank" that i bought off ebay that i plan to use to fill the system

i have a nice little spot planned up on the right hand side so that the filler will be the highest point in the system

but i am just wondering how the fudge im going to do this

i figure if i do it as above then most of the time the coolant will take the path of least resistance and just go across the radiator

u think that'll work?

i will try to get a shot of the rear of the rad in the morning, i had some outlets and inlets welded up and a thick bit of ally added so i can tap it and put the sender in for the temperature gauge

the other thing i am not 100% on is the whole oil-filter cooler bit on the TLR's
i plan to just loop its inlet to its outlet to tart with and ignore it
failing that i think i could get a TLS water pump cover that only has the one outlet and disable it that way
but i sort of want to leave it there in case i need to add another little radiator into the system (in case the 750 one isnt enough)

anyways think this will work? [8)]

Stocky
05-07-2006, 07:51 AM
Are you going to clock your missus in the back of the head with it after you take a pic ? :)

The top most outlet is the one that goes to an overflow bottle.

The next one dowm goes to the thermostat housing little outlet if you have one. It kind of bleeds off air.

The next one down goes to the small hose outlet from the top of the throttle side rad tank.

The oil cooler is not critical but it will help engine temp a lot. The entire water cooling system runs at a lower temp than you want the oil to so just pump some water through it.

The bottom one goes to the other side of the radiator.

The cap needs to be the highest point as you say.

The 98 onwards TLS has a small hose from the water pump to the thermostat outlet to circulate some water when cold and the temp sender mounted there too. I thought this was the same on the TLR , I'll have a look

Stocky
05-07-2006, 07:57 AM
The 750 rad should be capable of keeping it cool but as a streetfighter your challenge is to make air go through it not around it.

You need to make a piece of plastic to go across the top and bottom from tank to tank to make the air that hits the front of the rad not able to escape over the top or under the bottom of the rad.

The stock fairing normally takes care of it but you don't have it any more so lots of the air will go around the rad.

fimpBIKES
05-07-2006, 08:03 AM
cool, so u think i should run a separate overflow tank?
or jut let it dump for now (i use the race stuff that doesnt have slippery glycol)

so effectively coolant will be coming into the bottom of the tank and when it gets to a high enough level it will dump back into the rad?
i had it all bass ackwards from the look of things :D

as far as loosing are out the side, i am thinking to just get it rego'd and on the road and then do some testing
im half hoping i can get away without any shrouds
only one way to find out ;)

oh, and im running a dedicated 2inch temp gauge so i can keep an eye on things

fimpBIKES
05-07-2006, 08:06 AM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/261135986107986.jpg
here is the spot i have put aside for it,
need to figure out a bracket but thats the easy bit

im thinking that finding hoses to uit might be a little tricky

05-07-2006, 07:21 PM
second foto is a bit kinda weird n scary FiMp

fimpBIKES
05-07-2006, 07:25 PM
yeah, i thought u might like it :D

Iceman
05-07-2006, 07:54 PM
You weren't gett'n a bit of doggy action whilst taking that second photo we're you? If so, we want more pics! lol

fimpBIKES
05-07-2006, 10:50 PM
alrighty then, how does this look?
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/39460806557690.JPG

Stocky
06-07-2006, 08:21 AM
The ground dump should go to a bottle.

It will push out water when it's hot and then suck it back up when it's cool.

From what I can tell the oil cooler hooks one hose to the water pump and the other to the Rad tank.

TKZBYK
06-07-2006, 08:29 AM
How about using a TLS radiator wuth the cap already fixed to it. Then you would only need a styley looking overflow bottle put away somewhere. That's what I'm doing.

fimpBIKES
06-07-2006, 01:01 PM
how wide is the TLS radiator?
the major thing i want to avoid is having a wide radiator that will touch down in a lay-over
(like the standard TLR upper one)

i am also concerned about the cooling capacity of the stock TLS rad
i just ordered a catch can, shall run one each side to even things up ;)

oh, and i have a lower TLR rad so if i need to i can plumb that up

TKZBYK
06-07-2006, 04:20 PM
I'll have a measure tonight after work, & post up tomorrow. As far as cooling capacity goes.. Well I've been stuck in traffic idlling away on a hot summer's day, watching the temp gauge get higher & higher. The sensor finally kicked in & the cooling fans went on, & it levelled out OK. There is a way to have a manual switch on the cooling fans which you could then operate ealier if stuck in traffic. Riding out & about I've never had it anywhere near too hot.

fimpBIKES
06-07-2006, 05:47 PM
TKZ, are you only running the TLS rad
or so you have the lower rad on as well?

im looking at just having a manual switch on the fans since i have a gauge that i can just keep an eye on
is it going to piss off the ECU if it cant see the temperture of the engine?

the wiring diagram i have shows that the signal from the engine temperature sender goes directly to the ECU
could be a drama....

TKZBYK
07-07-2006, 08:34 PM
sorry for the late back, having to work is a bitch..

The TLS rad in 455mm in width. It looks quite wide but not overly under the width of the tank, so aesthetically it fits. It looks to sit further back compared to pic1 on this thread above.

Yes, I am running lower rad as well. I'm pretty sure it is the oil cooler, as it plumbs right into where the oil filter threads up. I can't see how you couldn't on your TLR. Don't they have same basic engine?

I'm not sure about the temp sensor. My understanding is that the ECU adjusts some internal things (theres tech talk for you..) to get the engine running right & up to temp. I know that on my bike I can get rough running whilst getting to temp, so you may just need to switch on the fans later when require. (my rough running is also inherent with the ealiest TLS,) I know that the manual switch runs parallel with the thermo switch in the radiator, so it's not like you need to break any circuit with the ECU either. I guess it comes back to the "Zen" of it all & feeling where your bike is at, & what it needs.
There is a heap of info on the TLPLANET www (hopefully this link will work:) http://www.tlplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181
there is a diagram of the mod here.
Cheers
Tony

fimpBIKES
07-07-2006, 08:47 PM
link works (once i logged in)

so u have a TLS?
if so the lower unit is an oil cooler

on the TLR there is a cooling spacer that goes between the engine and the oil filter
the goes to the lower radiator (which is fed from a 2nd output on the water pump)

have u got any pics of your setup?
is the TLS rad curved?

i think it will be a squeeze to get thermo fans behind mine the way it is

sprbeast
23-07-2006, 11:10 PM
sorry fimp, disregard my post in the other thread. i now see what you've got. the stock coolant tank only has 2 outlets. one on the bottom and one at the top close to the neck/cap. my bike's been apart since december and my bro had originally set up the tank in the tail so i didn't take notice too much when i yanked it out. but if my memory serves me...the top dumps out a hose run down to the bottom of the bike/ground and the bottom feeds from the radiator. hope this helps.

fimpBIKES
24-07-2006, 06:37 PM
thats actualy going to be a header tank
and i am running a seperate overflow catch on the LHS of the bike (see other thread)

24-07-2006, 10:41 PM
the ground dump arrow is still pointing at your Mrs arse,and the inlet is still feeding from her armpit.you really should untie her and release her from the Islington Pub basement 1 day fimp,she's been kept hostage for nearly 22 years now.

fimpBIKES
24-07-2006, 10:59 PM
almost 23 actually....