PDA

View Full Version : SV1k conversion question

ianG
09-08-2007, 03:44 AM
This question is for anyone who has converted their SV1000S to a streetfighter and swapped throttle cables. I'm currently using the stock cables which are routed on the right side of the headstock instead of left. It works fine, but the twist on the throttle is fairly tight and I'm going to have some custom cables made to loosen it up that will route through the left (normal) side fo the headstock.

Anyone here done the same and if so how much longer did you go with the cables?

Thanks,
Ian

madmaxman1986
09-08-2007, 04:48 AM
unless the're so short the throttle stays open, I just moved my controls on the bars to wherever the cables operated efficiently when turned all the way in either direction.

I'm using fatbars and they do rise and pullback, so the cables couldn't be much shorter, I got lucky.

Custom cables seems like alot of work. I can't even find an aftermarket clutch cable for my ninja.

ianG
09-08-2007, 06:32 AM
It doesn't bind too bad, but it does take a bit more effort to twist. For the street it's not a big deal, but I also use the bike to instruct at local track days and chasing down guys on Gix1k's all day takes it's toll on my wrist.

In order to make it work I had to reroute the cables in such a way that the cable binds slightly and there's no way to straight out the cable in the position it's in.

Oh, and I have a connection at Motion Pro here in the states so having the cables made is a snap. Just need to give him a length. :)

sharky
09-08-2007, 06:41 AM
quote:Oh, and I have a connection at Motion Pro here in the states so having the cables made is a snap. [u]Just need to give him a length</u>. [:0]
You might want to reword that last bit mate....[B)]

ianG
09-08-2007, 07:11 AM
Guess I did leave myself wide open for that one. [:0]

Gix11
09-08-2007, 12:32 PM
Throttle cables are't thing you want to be stretching or kinking. I'd be getting some custom ones made up ASAP mate. It's standard procedure on a lot of straight bar conversions and well worth the peace of mind.

zx12argh
09-08-2007, 12:38 PM
quote:Originally posted by Gix11

Throttle cables are't thing you want to be stretching or kinking. I'd be getting some custom ones made up ASAP mate. It's standard procedure on a lot of straight bar conversions and well worth the peace of mind.

Ditto - Talk to my mate rob who had the throttle cables jam on WOT on his two stroke - ended half way up a tree with his knee bent the wrong way - not pretty.[xx(]

dane_ra
09-08-2007, 01:03 PM
Go easy leaving yourself wide open for a length around here mate, you never know...[xx(]:D

sickboy
09-08-2007, 01:28 PM
Hi IanG, have you looked into getting the cables from the naked model SV1000? I'm not sure but I think they might be a bit longer than the "S" version,maybe phone around the bike breakers or wreckers,could save you bucks.

ianG
10-08-2007, 03:57 AM
Actually the N model throttle cables won't work. It's surprised how many things on the N model won't fit the S model. I messed with the bike last night and determined I need about 3-4 inches more in length...I know, I know, I'm setting myself up for another joke. [B)]

quote:Originally posted by sickboy

Hi IanG, have you looked into getting the cables from the naked model SV1000? I'm not sure but I think they might be a bit longer than the "S" version,maybe phone around the bike breakers or wreckers,could save you bucks.