PDA

View Full Version : ticking sound

mrcheese
08-08-2007, 07:40 AM
not sure if its my cam chain or not. Im pretty new to going this far in working on my bike, Im not really keen to take it to the local theiving bike shop down the road. So is it easy for me to find out/look out/fix my self or should I part with my hard earned for the good of my lady bike.
How do I know if it is the cam chain by the way.

alfiestorm
08-08-2007, 09:42 AM
generally a ticking or very light tapping sound is valve clearences which are piss easy to do but a time consuming job.
Cam chains usually makes a rattling mettalic russeling noise and are not always a constant noise when it is worn or the cam chain tensioner has become faulty,sticking (weak spring not strong enough to push the adjuster ram,ratchet stop mechanism stuck open allowing the adjuster ram to float in and out).
You will either have lock nut and screw adjusters with these the job will not cost you anything or shims which will require the clearences to be measured first and noted down then the cams will have to be removed to gain access to the bucket (metal cylinder looks like a metal flat bottomed bucket)which will reveal the shim. The appropriate shim can then be purchased or swapped about with what you have.
You will need the work shop manual as it will have a chart inside for selecting the right shim and the correct procedure for you particular model of bike.
With the shim process I strongly recommend you have someone with you who has done this job a few times before as the cams will have to come out and put back correctly timed get that wrong and it will at the very least bend the valves and at worst destroy the engine but you would have to be a right numpty to get it that wrong.

Hope some of the above waffle helps out it might sound imposing but the shim job is actually quite easy. :)

alf

qickdraw
08-08-2007, 12:37 PM
Make sure there's no terrorists strapped to the motor - that can be the very unwelcome source of a ticking sound.[:0]

Hillsy
08-08-2007, 12:45 PM
quote:Originally posted by qickdraw

Make sure there's no terrorists strapped to the motor - that can be the very unwelcome source of a ticking sound.[:0]

Wise words there QD, wise words indeed...;)

Also check that your exhaust gaskets haven't sprung a leak (where the headers join the head). They can sometimes sound like loose tappets.

mrcheese
08-08-2007, 05:29 PM
sounds like it is coming from thr sides, sounds more like a diesel engine, I thought that it could be the cam tension. I think I will have to take it to some one. Thanks guys. And alf you made my head hurt reading that, but thanks.
The sound is there all the time, what is normal noise, I guessed they are supposed to make some mechanical sound.

Jockney Rebel
08-08-2007, 06:42 PM
if its tickin mate and its got an iraqi plate its a bomb..lol
generally the same as whats been said ticking =valve clearances aka tappets..

Jockney Rebel
08-08-2007, 06:48 PM
loud clackin noise will be ur cam shaft journals[or other bearing surfaces in the head going west]
..or ur camchain tensioner ..or just ur carbs out of balance

mrcheese
08-08-2007, 06:57 PM
what sort of a price would I be looking at for this work, whats reasonable

Tony Nitrous
08-08-2007, 08:46 PM
quote:Originally posted by mrcheese

what sort of a price would I be looking at for this work, whats reasonable

Valve clearances or tappets ?
The price of a Haynes or Factory manual and a few tools.
Then the next time its free.

... or just run race cans and turn the rev's up,
you wont hear a thing. Works on mine.

Jockney Rebel
08-08-2007, 11:17 PM
without actually hearin it its difficult to say whereabouts are you anyway ?

mrcheese
09-08-2007, 05:45 AM
sorry ill fix my profile, in Campbelltown , nsw

mrcheese
29-08-2007, 07:43 PM
guys I have taken my bike to the local shop. As ususal I feel as though they have ripped me off, they did shit but tell me it was likely the cam chain and maybe the tensioner or valve clearence [B)]. they have then said that they belive it would cost me up to $800 for new ones[B)][}:)]........ New ones, fuck. I have read a few threads where the chain has been tightened and solved the problem, Is it that easy or do you buy new ones, and they dont cost $800 do they? And then the shims would have to be done on top of that.
Ok guys I willing to have a go my self, but as I said I'm new to this stuff. I dont know anyone personaly that would be of help. I'm getting a manual but I need guidence, can anyone offer me a direction of any sort... Be nice with the direction

Johnnie5
29-08-2007, 08:07 PM
firstly visit another shop

2nd , whats the bike details ? model , age , kays ?

mrcheese
30-08-2007, 03:38 AM
bandit 12 1997 61k on the clock.

mrcheese
03-09-2007, 07:53 PM
can anyone give me some feed back on where I could buy the parts I need. Should i buy new or are second hand ok.

03-09-2007, 08:45 PM
Serco...google it bro.

that quote of $800 has some heavy labour on it.

I'm sure theres at least 100 people on this site that can help you with this process,but you still need a Haynes manual.

Jesus will guide you,keep the faith.

BOHEMION
03-09-2007, 11:20 PM
$800 wtf for a bandit 12 with that many K's!

For some insite, for a major service a valve check/clearance and cam chain check and tension, new oil/filter and tune up for $450 max!!!!!

I dont have the time for a clearance check and I paid less for a 48K major on my Z750

Also mate make certain that you arnt being picky on noises with a motor with that many K's, Do u have a service history with the bike?

mrcheese
04-09-2007, 11:40 PM
no i dont unfortunatly, I was wondering if i was being picky, thats why I want it looked at so I know where If coming from.
Just got me wondering, how long do these engines last be fore they are shit and ready for land fill or can they be machined and re everythinged