PDA

View Full Version : Who's got a track bike?

zx12argh
06-08-2007, 07:24 PM
So just wondering - my povo university life style is winding up at the end of this year and I've promised myself to get a cheap arse track bike next year for the weekends.

So just out of interest... Who's got a track bike? What have you got? Why have you got it?

Oh and the 12r is getting sorted for the drag strip. I've figured the thing doesn't want to go around corners so why fight it. :D

Just 12 more weeks of shit and I am free!

ozkat
06-08-2007, 07:42 PM
quote:Originally posted by zx12argh

Oh and the 12r is getting sorted for the drag strip. I've figured the thing doesn't want to go around corners so why fight it. :D

That what i like to hear ...another drag bike. Sounds like you already have already found your track bike mate. :D

zx12argh
06-08-2007, 07:50 PM
The VTR will be on the track but was thinking something a bit more dedicated like a GSXR750...

Yeah was going to have a quiet word to you later down the track mate - you seem to be the Yoda of drag racing round these parts. Its a bit far off at the mo these plans but I'll be getting the R down the track this year at some stage for sure.

How did the Busa go?

Deano
06-08-2007, 08:58 PM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/85343565364551.JPG

92 gsxr 7/11 ex super bike from the era

got it just been in the right place at the right time took out the tuned 750 and put in a standard 1100. previous owner and the guy that built it brought it new and turned it into a race bike. cost him $35k (according to him) to build in 92. cost me $3500.
got plenty of parts with it and cause it is the same model as my fighter i got boxes of parts for the early w/cooled models

cant go past a good gixxer for a track bike mate.

if you are just starting out then you can get a ratty road bike for a start and upgrade as you improve. quite often a shit load cheaper to buy an ex race bike already with the money spent than to build it yourself

jakam04
06-08-2007, 09:02 PM
Ive got a 93 GSXR1100 im playing with on the track. Still trying to finish off the fighter before I start spending money tuning up the track bike....

Jarrod

Booster
06-08-2007, 09:55 PM
GSXR 750 would be a good choice ;)

RUSS M8
09-08-2007, 06:56 PM
I have a 1994 Yamaha YZF600R. Stock with abit of money on suspension, a few trick bits. Nearly all secondhand stuff (that's whats good about my old bike, people nearly pay you to take old stuff of their hands). Being basically a road bike with a slip on n slicks it is very reiable, it is turn-key racing :)

Biggest problem is it takes all my time, less time for working on the Bandit!!!
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/19761669650007.jpg

zx12argh
10-08-2007, 12:36 PM
Thanks guys - what do you use to transport the bike there and back? Van? Ute? Trailer?
Pros Cons? I'm going to look at getting a van and bike next year around the same time. Going to be an expensive year :)
But I'm single and got a pussy in a can so I'm not going to have many outgoings [:p]

Booster
10-08-2007, 12:42 PM
Sometimes ute others trailer,bit hard to fit 2 bikes and gear in a ute if your traveling with a mate .

Slain
10-08-2007, 12:56 PM
had a cbr600f2 fighter as a track/stunt hack but sold it due to no time to ride it
used a trailer, found it easier and also more room for tools, chairs, esky etc in my craptacular commodore tow car

TurboKat
10-08-2007, 02:36 PM
Don't listen to Deano & Booster, they're both convicted child molesters - this is how it's done.
Ex TKA Marty Craggil '98 Production Superbike championship runner up (it would have won it if Yamaha hadn't CHEATED by using non homologated tyres - bastards :() 150 dyno verified HP, all the good gear, (Ohlins, Muzzy, Akrapovic, etc)
I've done half a dozen trackdays on it & haven't had to put a spanner on it, it goes like stink & handles like it's on rails.
I paid $5K for it & I reckon I'd get most of that back if I sold it tomorrow - the moral of the story? there are lots of ex factory & privateer racebikes around for the right money, it will be easier (& probly cheaper in the long run) to buy something already set up & with all the good race gear than to buy a crashed roady & set it up for the track with raceglass, rearsets, suspension mods, etc & you'll have the confidence that you'll be able to go fast straight away.
My 2 cents.
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/40655810175533.JPG

zx12argh
10-08-2007, 07:34 PM
quote:Originally posted by turbokat

Don't listen to Deano & Booster, they're both convicted child molesters - this is how it's done.
Ex TKA Marty Craggil '98 Production Superbike championship runner up (it would have won it if Yamaha hadn't CHEATED by using non homologated tyres - bastards :() 150 dyno verified HP, all the good gear, (Ohlins, Muzzy, Akrapovic, etc)
I've done half a dozen trackdays on it & haven't had to put a spanner on it, it goes like stink & handles like it's on rails.
I paid $5K for it & I reckon I'd get most of that back if I sold it tomorrow - the moral of the story? there are lots of ex factory & privateer racebikes around for the right money, it will be easier (& probly cheaper in the long run) to buy something already set up & with all the good race gear than to buy a crashed roady & set it up for the track with raceglass, rearsets, suspension mods, etc & you'll have the confidence that you'll be able to go fast straight away.
My 2 cents.
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/40655810175533.JPG

And its the right colour too :D - so how do you find something like that tho? Gotta be in the know?

TurboKat
10-08-2007, 07:58 PM
Although I'm definately "in the know" ;) I actually found it in the Trading Post but if you're keen, I know of another ex TKA ZX9 (Alistair Maxwell's or Damon Buckmaster's 02 model I think) that's pretty much identical spec. to mine for sale for $5K.

WATEVR
11-08-2007, 07:30 AM
2 points;

1:having gone down the build a track bike from a road bike path i can definately back TK and say buy an ex-racer,cos its bloody exspensive to do it the other way. things start to add up real quick especially if your on a budget.

2: www.formula-xtreme.com.au is the place to look for race bikes and is always worth a browse in the classifieds

RUSS M8
11-08-2007, 08:34 AM
I run around in a HiLux Extra Cab (tray back). Bought one of them $$$ whipps alloy ramps, put a few hooks in the floor of the tray and cool ride! All the riding hear fits in the dicky seats behind me, just bike n stands on the back.

An Ex race bike will save money on some mods, yes, but make sure you don't buy something that; a) has been flogged and will need money or b) needs very regular maintenance because of huge engine mods.

As for setting up your own, it can be expensive, but most people go over the top. Example, I'm racing mid field this year, with stock engine, stock foot pegs (rear sets are expensive) second hand Ohlins (cost me $400)... the nice paint job is the most expensive thing on the bike!

Which ever way you go, have fun!

zx12argh
11-08-2007, 08:54 AM

Although I'm definately "in the know" ;) I actually found it in the Trading Post but if you're keen, I know of another ex TKA ZX9 (Alistair Maxwell's or Damon Buckmaster's 02 model I think) that's pretty much identical spec. to mine for sale for $5K.

Absolutely interested but time and finances are limited until I get a real job - I'm still at uni at moment mate. I'll be looking at this in about 6 months I reckon honestly :( The VTR will be alright in the meantime :D

Deano
11-08-2007, 12:53 PM
quote:Originally posted by RUSS M8

I run around in a HiLux Extra Cab (tray back). Bought one of them $$$ whipps alloy ramps, put a few hooks in the floor of the tray and cool ride! All the riding hear fits in the dicky seats behind me, just bike n stands on the back.

An Ex race bike will save money on some mods, yes, but make sure you don't buy something that; a) has been flogged and will need money or b) needs very regular maintenance because of huge engine mods.

As for setting up your own, it can be expensive, but most people go over the top. Example, I'm racing mid field this year, with stock engine, stock foot pegs (rear sets are expensive) second hand Ohlins (cost me $400)... the nice paint job is the most expensive thing on the bike!

Which ever way you go, have fun!

an ex race bike that hasn't been flogged? i would like to see that;)

sharky
11-08-2007, 01:17 PM
quote:this is how it's done.
Ex TKA Marty Craggil '98 Production Superbike championship runner up (it would have won it if the Yamaha hadn't been such a powerful beast that the kwak team had to come up with an excuse like them using non homologated tyres - sooks )

[xx(][xx(][xx(]

RUSS M8
11-08-2007, 07:11 PM
Don't know what your budget is, but 5ish year old racebikes are great value :)
Something like this...?????
http://www.aus-superbikes.com.au/xtremema.nsf/3af4b8961d968b8fca256e410079fd79/4170ed889e649142ca257334000e66d8!OpenDocument

zx12argh
11-08-2007, 09:39 PM
i didn't know there was these options - bloody brilliant - thanks guys :D

cutcat
12-08-2007, 08:40 PM

Turbo, I am interested. What more can you tell me.

TurboKat
12-08-2007, 09:47 PM
I can tell you that I talked to him at Broadford today & it's been sold [V] Somebody got 'emselves a bargain, sorry mate.

sharky
12-08-2007, 09:48 PM
You were at Broadford and you didn't drop in for tea and bikkies ...:(

TurboKat
12-08-2007, 10:41 PM
I actually did think about it Russ but I decided against it because I don't like you very much. :D

sharky
12-08-2007, 10:47 PM
Why do you think I'm goin ta Brissy [xx(]