PDA

View Full Version : tight ass turbo

mrcheese
03-08-2007, 08:36 AM
Contemplating a turbo for the bandit. Problem is i think just buying a full system lock stock will cost me a motsa in one hit. Is it worth my while buying in bits of the "auction site" and stashing them untill I get someone who knows what there doing to piece it together.
Ok so what would a whole system cost, and if I did it bit by bit what should I go looking for.
Thanks

Booster
03-08-2007, 09:36 AM
Carbs ??
Rocket would be a good one to ask the pro's and cons of a full bolt on kit
How many hp and for what purpose? are you planing on decompressing ? will you be changing the wheelbase ?

BANDITROD
03-08-2007, 09:37 AM
how are ya mate mr turbo make kits for the bandit they are in the us and cost about 5 grand and that will get you around 260hp i have been looking into this myself but you should get in contact EXben or Deano(deano is turboing a bandit motor at the moment i think he is using injection though)
Cheers Rod

BANDITROD
03-08-2007, 02:27 PM
http://www.mrturbo.com/bandit1.htm heres a link for ya to check out mate ;)

Rocket
03-08-2007, 05:55 PM
Hey Cheesey, that Mr Turbo bandit is running a draw thru turbo, so no intercooler, one big arse Mikuni carb.
legend has it that draw thru's are out of date and they don't help rideability.
Mr Turbo would say that's not the case any more. I wouldn;t know, but it seems that no one does them any more except Mr T.

I'm running a Holeshot Racing blow thru system with modified CV carbs and they are the bane of my fucking life. I recently recieved another set of carbs to see if I can get it to stop fouling a plug all the time, there's a thousand cv turbo bikes in the UK and sweden so there's no reason why mine shouldn't run properly.
With the exception of fouling up number one plug after 200ks, it's pretty sweet to ride and will rip the front wheel up at any speed and in any gear. I don't know what HP it's making, but it feels like a lot.
Buying a kit is the easiest way, but you will spend a lazy eight grand aussie doing it.
S&R Pro in Sydney might be able to help you as well.
You're in Oz right ?

Booster thinks my kit is actually an MCXpress kit from Sweden so you might try talking to them.

Building a kit will be much cheaper but you gotta make sure you get the right turbo size and then you have to get everything made. Pain in the arse, but if you keep at it, you'll get there, check what Deano is doing, but he's way smarter than me.

If I listened to Booster, i would have went F/I long ago, but I wasn't that clever, so i didn't.
It would have cost more initially but in theory, my fuelling issues would never have happened.

Iceman
03-08-2007, 07:00 PM
I did the ebay thing and built up my turbo bits over about eight months. There was alot of parts I just couldn't buy and had to be custom made. It took about two months for me to get all the parts for fuel injection. Sure it cost me less than $1500 for turbo and F/I set up, but it was hundreds of hours work, and I'm still trying to make it better.

Deano
03-08-2007, 08:09 PM
i will be making everything myself where posible. and that will save me a shit load alone.

everything custom that i am building is drawn up on solidworks and jigs made so that the fit and finish looks spot on.

it might be a home built kit but i don't want it to look like one

kits are very exy and that is the reason that i am building a kit myself. i also want to do things a little differnt than most therefore i cant buy a kit that is exactly what i want, and i don't want to compromise.

fuel injection is my first choice mostly from what i have heard and not from experiance.

i am chasing only 200hp so dont need a huge turbo and massive amounts of engine mods

good luck

cavey
04-08-2007, 07:03 AM
Hey guys, don't know too much about turbo systems. I know the draw throughs are peaky as fuck, all or nothing, comes in like a cricket bat across the knees! but saying that there's a guy round here who rides a draw through gs spondon like a pussy cat!
What mods have to be done to carbs to pressurize them? Surely the float bowl pressuize, hows the fuel drawn through, why dont they piss fuel everywhere? Help!!

EXBEN
04-08-2007, 09:31 AM
Draw through systems put the carb before the turbo so it doesn't get pressurised. The downfall with these systems is that the fuel /air mix is drawn through the turbo so as you could imagine at low speed the atomized fuel has lots of time & obstructions to help it form back into heavy droplets/puddles which is not good for combustion. This is also the reason you can't use an intercooler (imagine the path the air/fuel mix would have to take) oh & a backfire through the intake would ignite all this mix in the intercooler/intake tract BOOM!:(

exile
04-08-2007, 09:39 AM
Im a tottal turbo virgin but i believe the Bandit motors low comp already so is an ideal victim for turbo charging. In this months SF mag Big CC have fitted a colosul 1000bhp rated blow thru muva fuker to "project pisstake" Busa and made over 700bhp but at a cost tho.....as it misfired at 600bhp, the headgasket blew and the cam chain let go big styley

EXBEN
04-08-2007, 09:42 AM
Early bike turbo systems all seemed to be draw through, this is probably why they got such a bad wrap as being hard to tune / unreliable. The modern EFI blow through system is a very different
beast. Especially in the last 10 yrs as there is so many products on the market now that are made for cars, that can also be used on bikes pumps,regulators,injectors,computers,bov's,etc... & modern ball bearing turbos are also a far cry from the early turbos that were used, with very fast spool up times & efficent turbine designs, lag can be virtually eliminated with a correctly sized turbo.

EXBEN
04-08-2007, 09:47 AM
quote:exile Posted - 04 Aug 2007 : 09:39:36
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Im a tottal turbo virgin but i believe the Bandit motors low comp already so is an ideal victim for turbo charging. In this months SF mag Big CC have fitted a colosul 1000bhp rated blow thru muva fuker to "project pisstake" Busa and made over 700bhp but at a cost tho.....as it misfired at 600bhp, the headgasket blew and the cam chain let go big styley
Taking it to extremes [:0]
Gee it sucks that we have to wait 2-3 months to get the current issue:(

Booster
04-08-2007, 03:21 PM
LOL Big CC were quick to post about there big hp but so far no mention of the probs...
Have to expect a few probs when pushing the limits and i am in awe and drooling when i see there setup.
Back to the subject....
Go efi if you can, what is initially cheaper can be expensive quickly if much dyno time is needed, also i am collecting a small libary of base settings for startup and may save some time for you if this path is taken (Motec m4,Microtech,Tuneboy,Haltech in varying degrees of setup)

mrcheese
04-08-2007, 10:40 PM
shit really opened a can, problem is I dont really get what is being spoken about. My bikes a 97 so it has CV carbs on it. And well Me doing my own fabbing and work really isnt an easy thing. maybe its best to look at a kit, should I let them get the bits or would it be better for me to source them (remember its a tight ass turbo project) I will have a look around the named sites to see what they say. Any other idea on cheap power gains, simplar questions big gains at a cheapish price.....super charger, NOS

mrcheese
04-08-2007, 10:44 PM
just looked at the mr turbo site, i want that bike, its what im after to a t, do to the way it sits, the length you name it and well the bhp is giving me a fat to, so how do I do something like that cheapishly

BANDITROD
05-08-2007, 07:49 PM
quote:Originally posted by mrcheese

just looked at the mr turbo site, i want that bike, its what im after to a t, do to the way it sits, the length you name it and well the bhp is giving me a fat to, so how do I do something like that cheapishly
i knew you would like it mate