PDA

View Full Version : Old School Bikes - What Works?

Tathagata
03-07-2006, 03:29 PM
Hey Guys,

Havent been here in a while, been arsing around trying to get stuff in order.
BUT I cant handle not having a bike, so Im on the lookout for something...dunno what.

Ive decided I want to go an old school bike, a Not-Quite-Classic bike that I can trick up. Heres the kicker, Ive only got $3000 to spend.

I was thinking something early 80's. But im not sure what good muscle bikes were around then, that I can get for cheap (Im not real mechanically minded, so I want good running gear, looks dont matter yet).
I was thinking along the lines of z900, but I know I wont get one of them. Maybe an old ZX of somekind.

A bloke has offered me a ZXR750 (L1 model) for $3500....but Im not sure if I want to go fully faired...muscle bikes look better.

See my dilemma? Any ideas? Throw ideas at me please, so I can get more indication of what works for me.
Things I like....I liked that 711 and the ZRX1100 in the For Sale folder (lol if only I had more cash, hehe).

Thanks folks for any help.

BTW, saw the fools run pics in RAPID...nice work :)

Gix11
03-07-2006, 04:00 PM
The older bikes will need the running gear to be changed to give them a bit of meat. Hence, something like the fully faired ZXR would be a better bet. You're going to strip it down after all to make a streetfighter. Look at Judge for instance. That was a ZXR once. Ok, this ZXR 750 has a german style tail, but you get the idea: http://www.soulreavers-mf.de/images/bikes/streetfighter_muellex1.jpg

03-07-2006, 04:12 PM
GPz9 mate, can't go past'em. Once you strip off the fairing they're actually quite small, and still handle pretty well.
The GPz900r site has info on upgrading the suspension/wheels to later models, without too much drama.

An early Gixxer 750/1100 could be had for that much. Or what about the king of the air-cooleds, a GSX1100EF? Can't get much more muscle bike than that.

fimpBIKES
03-07-2006, 05:11 PM
are we talking a bike for 3 grand

or a bike with rego,
my clapped out old kat cost me 3 but then had to rego it so add a few hundred

Tony Nitrous
03-07-2006, 05:30 PM
Listed on "E's-Gay"

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Suzuki-GSX1100-Turbo_W0QQitemZ130003158230QQihZ003QQcategoryZ1026 87QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/7730/gsxturbo1kd.jpg

Turbo charged GSX 1100 – Ground up rebuild very clean, undercut gears, welded crank, O-ringed block, decompressed pistons, 750 oil pump gears, Heavy duty clutch, RHB52 Turbo 1 ¾ SU carb, unfinished project needs some wiring work, make good race bike or sick street bike.

03-07-2006, 06:11 PM
my 89 gsxr11 cost $3500 about 6 or 7 years ago,had been dropped with cosmetic damage only.Be patient and something will appear.nuthin worse than buying a bike then finding a better 1 the next week.

Tony Nitrous
03-07-2006, 06:56 PM
quote:Originally posted by davo

my 89 gsxr11 cost $3500 about 6 or 7 years ago,had been dropped with cosmetic damage only.Be patient and something will appear.nuthin worse than buying a bike then finding a better 1 the next week.

Been looking for about a year !!
Got a new Bus so waiting for the "right" 2nd bike to turn up.
Took another older Suzuki for a spin yeasterday,
(not telling so dont ask)
bald tyres, minor cosmetic damage, rides fine,
Pulls hard. Hoping to do a deal at end of the week.
Like Davo says, dont be too keen,
unless you have cash to burn.

Tony.J.

loosebruce
03-07-2006, 07:26 PM
Try allclassifieds if you don't want to go too far from Canberra.
Those ZXR750s(aka Ninja turtles)used to go pretty hard for their day.

Tathagata
04-07-2006, 10:17 AM
Awesome guys. Heaps of good advice in here, I knew you lot would have some ideas for me.

The ZXR750 is cheap and in bloody great nick. Im thinking its pretty hard to pass up. But I would more prefer a muscle bike/ cafe racer style bike. The GSX1100 that Tony listed is bloody nice, I would like that one.

So I dunno now. Hard to pass up that ZXR750 and I could rip all the plastic off it, put on a bench seat and turn it into a cafe racer type of bike.

I would snap that GSX1100 up in an instant, but I just dont trust buying anything from Ebay. Also dont trust buying a bike I cant take a good look at first (my luck, it would be just about dead). I mean, why would he ask $1500 for a bike like that? The turbo alone is worth $1500. Still, if anyone knows a good bike like that in good nick for a steal, then let me know, Id be happy to fly down to pick it up if its worth it.

Yeah Chalky, I love the GPZ900. But havent seen any for a long time.

Fimp. Ive got $3k I can spend. Rego doesnt matter so long as the bike can be registered fairly easily. I could likely push the price a bit over $3k if I have too, but not by much ($3.5k tops). Rego doesnt matter, its just the cost of the bike I need to keep down.

Im torn. The ZXR750 is a bloody good bike for the price. But I reckon Id prefer a muscle type bike. But I could work on it and I do like sports bikes. LOL, I hate having freedom of choice.

Mebbe Ill search the interwebs some more and see if Melb has some bikes around that I can get some mates to check out for me.

Cheers guys

Tathagata
04-07-2006, 10:24 AM
Tony, I just cant get that GSX1100 out of my head. It just looks too good to be true...I just dunno how you blokes can buy stuff like that off Ebay. You just dunno in what sort of condition it really is.
Id buy that right now if I knew its condition was as good as it sounds. The electricals isnt a problem, if its that bad that I cant fix it then with the money I have left Ill get an auto electrician to wire it up properly.

Hillsy
04-07-2006, 11:49 AM
If it's on EBAY and it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
You can try these guys:

http://www.fowles.com.au

If you do your homework and are prepared to wait, you can get a bargain...

04-07-2006, 12:07 PM
Just keep looking around, I got the 9 off AllClassifieds for $1000 (had to trailer it back from Sussex Inlet though. My previous GSX1100EF I got through Bikepoint (from a Liverpool dealer, got the bus up, rode home). Sydney has a good range, and it's not too far away.

Wouldn't bother with The Canberra Times, their bike section is shit (like everything else in that 2nd rate rag).

Tony Nitrous
04-07-2006, 04:28 PM
Bikes on E's-Gay are a bit like watching the Simpsons.
Lots of stuff you dont take seriously with the odd hidden gem.

Personaly having viewed a few local bike's, I wouldnt be buying anything unseen. Nothing against those who do, thats just me.
(still worth looking whats in driving distance)

No harm in keeping up with whats out there though.
Always loved the ET/EX GSX1100, had a good SOLID look to them.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/SUZUKI-GSX-1100-1981_W0QQitemZ130003705403QQihZ003QQcategoryZ10268 7QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/9363/gsxold8dl.jpg

Tony.J.

04-07-2006, 05:13 PM
I know you'll probably say a very resounding NO, but there is a CB900F on allclassifieds at the moment for 2k. It's in Gouldburn and the ad went up on the 29th June

http://allclassifieds.com.au/c/ac?a=vm&i=1130618094

Tathagata
04-07-2006, 10:08 PM
Dunno mate, why would I say no to the cb900? Looks like they could be a decent bike...but then I dont know much about that model.
My biggest concern with that one is it sounds like its been dropped...but worth having a look I guess eh? hehe :)

TurboKat
04-07-2006, 10:22 PM
Get the ZXR. [:p]

Tone
05-07-2006, 06:08 AM
A week too late Tath...82 GSX11,rego and sounded in good nick for $2500.Been in the Manly Daily for a month and now it's gone.
Also see "Kwack for sale" in the sites bike ads,that bloke had that registered.

05-07-2006, 07:49 AM
quote:Originally posted by Tathagata

Dunno mate, why would I say no to the cb900? Looks like they could be a decent bike...but then I dont know much about that model.
My biggest concern with that one is it sounds like its been dropped...but worth having a look I guess eh? hehe :)

Front end / wheels will definitely need replacing, as the originals are spindly. The engines are solid, but keep fresh oil up to them, or the oil ways can clog up. Frame will definitely require bracing.
BUT, someone from here was advertising a CB1100R tank the other day, they'll fit right up, and the 1100R styling would make a solid looking fighter.

And most 80's bikes will have been dropped at some stage. Repairs are cheap though.

Tathagata
05-07-2006, 04:53 PM
you guys have been awesome. Thanks for your help.
I reckon Ive made a decision. Im going to make it even harder on myself and go for something under $2000, pref around $1500. So long as its registerable and may go for 6 months Im good. Then in that time Ill hopefully have more cash and I can either fixit up if I like it or look for another.

Fukimfikkle

Ill let ya's know what I find. If I dont find one Ill let ya know what I buy in 6 months....either way I will be getting a streetfighter/ muscle bike.

ZXR is out, so if anyone wants a great deal on a great bike in Canberra let me know. Ill pass on the number.

Cheers :)

loosebruce
05-07-2006, 11:12 PM
Gpz1000rx just on allclassifieds.

Tathagata
07-07-2006, 01:47 PM
Thanks LooseBruce,

I checked this one out last night and turned it down.
The fairing is really ratty (no big deal as Id likely rip it off anyway). Its got a dodgey gearsack rack mod on it (again, no biggy).
The forks are crap, at the minimum a service and new seals there.
The engine is very noisy in all the wrong places and even when the bike is warm, switching it on still causes it to idle like a dog for a minute or two. Plus various other untidy bits around it.

The blokes mate is a mechanic apparently and to me it looks like they have patched it up enough to hide anything drastically wrong with it.
The engine though, is really suspect. Im not an expert on GPZ's but I know a dodgey engine when I hear one.

Anyway, cheers for the tip, just wanted to let anyone else know what to expect.

07-07-2006, 01:54 PM
Gudday Tatha, how's it going mate?

Was out at Joe's yesterday, and they have a GPz9 for $2500, Blue and Silver, looks reasonably tidy. I had a quick word to Joe, and you should stop in and have a chat with him about what he might be able to get for you, if not the 9. They get a number of decent bikes offered to them dead cheap, but which he has to turn down. Could do you a good deal if it's an immediate turn around.

suxukifreak
08-07-2006, 08:30 PM
How about this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1980-Suzuki-GS1100E-TURBO-compare-honda-kawasaki-yamaha_W0QQitemZ140005681119QQihZ004QQcategoryZ133 177QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/957291968128010.jpg

loosebruce
08-07-2006, 10:59 PM
Farkanell no wonder the chain's loose.
Very neat stretched tank/ frame.

Tathagata
10-07-2006, 01:56 PM
LOL thats nasty. Ill check it out when I get home :)

Cheers Mr Chalk :) I went into CMC and Gecko on the weekend, just to drool a bit over stuff I cant have. Was gonna head to Joes but thought "nah, they never have anything decent"...typical eh?
Thanks mate, Ill go in this weekend and have a word with em.

A mate of a mate of a mate has an (apparently) nicely worked Kat up for grabs, Ill check that out as soon as I can too.

Cheers