PDA

View Full Version : Gday people

Owen
31-08-2007, 01:01 AM
Hey everyone, thought id intro myself and say gday. I live in Adelaide and been riding for a couple of years now, just picked up my first big bike 2 days ago a black 97 speed triple and am LOVING it. It needs a little bit of work and a tidying up but overall its a sweet bike IMO. Am looking at doing some mods to it, pay it the tribute it deserves, has a had a rough life with the last 5 years being shipped from owner to owner and spending a lot of time sitting in garages.

Im wondering how i would go about getting into the streetfighter side of things? Does it require a lot of money? Im a full time uni student so i dont have much cash but i do have a lot of spare time. I guess im wondering what sort of things are the most common mods that people do plus any tips on getting started or any ideas on how i would go about modding a speed triple.

Cheers, Owen

Jockney Rebel
31-08-2007, 01:55 AM
hi owen welcome mate
just bought an 07 triple meself and im struggling with a bol dor build ..the whole kudos of streetfighting bikes is more to do with being inventive than spending loadsa dosh [although that is one way of accomplishing the goal] if ur more into the designing side of things and uv got the bucks then u let someone else interpret ur dream if ,,like most of us ,ur funds are limited then u find ingenius ways of creating ur dream ..get stuck in mate ..an show us some pics

Owen
31-08-2007, 02:38 AM
Heh thanks for the reply, its hard though, i honestly dont know where i would begin, and seeing as a ride the bike every day i cant really do any major body work on it.

Fighterreiter
31-08-2007, 05:45 AM
Hi Owen,
first also from me a wellcome to this side it is a good way to start of with streetfighterbuilding! I agree on what Frankenfighter said, there are two way`s to do, spend a lot of cash give to someone who does it professional or do it your self! I am busy my self building a lowbudget Fighter!
I would suggest before you start look in the web google around and you find a lot of good ideas and ways how to do things!

Cheers Klaus!

zx12argh
31-08-2007, 08:51 AM
Hey Owen, welcome aboard. I've done most of my work on my 12r as a student and like the others have said you'll usually get more credit if you can do the work yourself and come up with something original. I haven't had to spend much - I've done a lot of fibreglass with mine - its a skill that isn't too hard to pick up. And remember - matte black paint is cheap :) Septone Satin Black is the best one for my money ;)

Owen
31-08-2007, 11:20 AM
How do you go about using fibreglass? Is it hard? I would pm but i havent done enough posts yet! What im trying to do is make/fashion some sort of cowling for the radiator as it has a dent on one side, and perhaps a grill for it. Could fibreglass be used to do this?

Foxy
31-08-2007, 11:43 AM
Better off using stainless steel for that one mate, with stands stone chips and pressure a lot more and wont break off at the hold down points.

Im sure there would be plenty on the market, check out egay and the likes, if not, design your own and get a laser cutter to cut it out for you.

Once its folded it should cover up the dent.

zx12argh
31-08-2007, 12:28 PM
Fibreglassing is easy - you just need some kind of mould - either positive or negative - to ge tthe shape right. I based my tail from an old R1. I heated with boiling water from a jug then bent it to get the shape I wanted. I then filled in where the pillion seat was with a bit of alluminium (cheap from bunnings) then used expander foam to build up the area (cheap from bunnings) then carved and sanded it down to get my shape - I then put a layer of fibreglass and resin over that (cheap from bunnings ;) - i think you get the idea) then sanded it to blend it into the rest of the tail. I used a bit of bog at this stage - try not to use too much as bog doesn't really hold its shape well and will look like shit a week after its dried out completely. Then spray filler sand paint etc.

I've finished mine but when I have time I'm going to use it as a plug for a mould and make some units and mod those a bit more... Its really just down to how inventive you can be - you make up your own techniques as you go. You'll fuck it up a couple times garunteed tho. We'll at least I did :D.

But like foxy said there is the laser cut alternative - not sure what you are doing at uni but if you dont have access to cad or solidworks there are plenty people here who can do up some stuff (myself included) if you give them a rough idea. You just take it to a laser cut place and its pretty cheap.

If you need a hand just post - i'm a post whore and have nothing better to do (cept work on my thesis) so I usually get back to you pretty quick - gives everyone else a chance to get their 2 cents in too.

Phew.

Watto
31-08-2007, 12:45 PM
Gday Owen

Welcome and good to see another speed trip on the site mate we're slowly building numbers here :D

97 is the same shape as mine and as Frankenbiker will tell ya, it's gotta be black [8D] - as foxy mentioned better of using stainless or ali for the radguards - you can try www.radguards.com.au - they are an aussie mob making the ali guards - I've got a set of stainless on mine from Metisse Racing

Jockney Rebel
31-08-2007, 12:58 PM
blacks the go mate ....as for the rad guards im thinkin of drawin up some designs for them as i need em too
also im gonna sketch a couple of designs for tail tidy s..btw zx are you able to transform my sketches into something a laser cutter etc can read ?

zx12argh
31-08-2007, 02:50 PM
quote:Originally posted by frankenbiker

blacks the go mate ....as for the rad guards im thinkin of drawin up some designs for them as i need em too
also im gonna sketch a couple of designs for tail tidy s..btw zx are you able to transform my sketches into something a laser cutter etc can read ?

Yupp mate - I work with Solidworks which outputs all the same stuff as Autocad which is what set most of the industry standards etc... I can do up whatever you need I should think.

WATEVR
31-08-2007, 09:17 PM
welcome owen its good to have another SA member, show us some pics of your bike mate.