PDA

View Full Version : Out on a Hyosung Limb

zx12argh
26-07-2007, 01:50 PM
Seeing something fimp posted about there being lots of Hyosung 650 on motorcycle disposals got me thinking - How much would it take to get turn one of these into a respectable fighter.

Now I know this is a case of polishing a dog turd - from what I've heard and seen they've got to be one of the most unreliable lemons around but if you started replacing all the shit bits with decent stuff (USDs - radial brakes - single sided swinger etc) do you reckon you'd end up somewhere good? I've deffinately seen uglier frames on bikes - I dont think they are all that hideous.

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/96961251313031.jpg

And considering the starting cost it might be such a bad investment...

http://www.motorcycledisposals.com.au/Bikes/Bikes%20Pages/707%20Hyosung/707%20Hyosung.htm

$2k for a bike with most of the bits there and the bits you'd get rid of damaged.

I'm not considering this - got enough going on as it is - but thought I just throw this out there. :D

Gix11
26-07-2007, 01:55 PM
My guess is it's the equivalent of streetfightering a pocket bike. You know the materials are shite and in the end you would have to replace everything to know it's of good quality and whatever was Hyosung is now gone.

zx12argh
26-07-2007, 02:10 PM
Thats sort of the point - on a heavily modified old skool gsxr how much of the bike is original? I don't reckon everything on them is completely shite - They built the bike in conjunction with suzuki (mostly the engine) and they claim they've got more go then a SV650. Just a thought - always open to new ideas ;)

gibbo
26-07-2007, 02:26 PM
Was discussing these with a mechanic that used to service them for the local dealer recently, he said one of the worst problems were the frames, thin wall poor quality which leads to breaking around the stand mounts and other more serious stress points[xx(] some had rusted from the inside because there is no coating on the inside. And this was within warranty period:(. Suggest you stay clear mate.

zx12argh
26-07-2007, 03:00 PM
Wow - i guess that puts a bullet in the head of this thread... Oh well - give em a few years and come back.
Look at Kia - they're Korean and they are.... err... still crap.

fimpBIKES
26-07-2007, 09:09 PM
i lurk on a hyosung forum once
seem to have their fair share of electrical gremlins

but your right, thats why i remembered it the other day
cos they are dirt cheap

would certainly be easy to do one up to a reasonable standard without even touching suspension or engine and just commute the bejesus outta it :D

cavey
26-07-2007, 09:24 PM
You'd start off with a shit base and end up witha shit end product, unless you change the engine and frame aswell!!

Jockney Rebel
26-07-2007, 10:46 PM
if i was back home id buy 4 of em and despatch em to death..throw away bikes
we bought 10 of the chinese version of the CG125 for the L plater couriers and they literally fell apart..these were carbon copies of the little stalwart honda which took immense punishment in the hands of these blokes ,so i can only assume its down to materials in the build and the quality of the build
the brits amongst us will remember when yamaha started builing the last of the 350 power valves in brazil ..same problem identical bike but shit quality control and local materials

God
27-07-2007, 11:57 AM
The editor of ye olde fart touring magazine (err Australian Road Rider) has fightered one of these.

He loves it, then again he is old...

Jockney Rebel
28-07-2007, 12:04 AM
if hes ever owned a Hardly then he d be used to bits fallin off then

dazz
28-07-2007, 09:29 AM
anything on a hyosung that casts a shadow on a sunny day is fucked.

I worked as a service manager prior to selling bikes and after a pre delivery we would make a diary note for 1 week later to allow time for the warranty work. I shit you not! 100% failure rate!Some are better now but still no good.

They have no relationship with Suzuki.

This is a bullshit sales idea thought up by fuckwit dealers that just want to push shitboxes with good margin and they continue to do so:(.

Ring Suzuki:D or Hyosung[xx(] for that matter and ask if they are the same. The answer from both will be a resounding "NO".

I am willing to elaborate if you want to call.

Johnnie5
28-07-2007, 10:44 AM
quote:Originally posted by fimpBIKES

i lurk on a hyosung forum once
seem to have their fair share of electrical gremlins

but your right, thats why i remembered it the other day
cos they are dirt cheap

would certainly be easy to do one up to a reasonable standard without even touching suspension or engine and just commute the bejesus outta it :D

well actually they arent dirt cheap , they are cheaper than say a SV650 or VTR250 , but not by a huge amount

the chinese bikes are already hear and cheaper than the jap offering by a huge margin

early whoflungs had electrical gremlins and build quality issues,

buy in saying that the late ones i have seen recently are looking pretty good in the build quality

the hyundai of the bike world , early hyundais were shit , each year they got better and better and are now pretty good, not quite up with jap cars, but the jap cars have started dropping their quality to save on $$$