PDA

View Full Version : Legality of nitrous

Funkenfresh
24-07-2007, 10:42 PM
just say i got some nitrous for my bike.... would it be legal if the No2 canisters were not screewed on... therefore the Nos could not be used!?!?!?!

Booster
24-07-2007, 11:09 PM
Funny thing about nos, its small cylinders look a lot like my CO2 airshifter tank, pressures are similar , liquid to gas change is at similar temps and pressures, if i couldn't find a CO2 filling station i could use nos , maybe you need a black bottle ...

Funkenfresh
24-07-2007, 11:17 PM
the kit has 2x 12oz bottles.. and i want my pillion space for my controllors and PC3 and shit...
the bottles are black but have warning stickers on it.. thats why i was thinking if it would be legal/ ok to have the kit on but no bottles attatched!!

Funkenfresh
24-07-2007, 11:19 PM
and just for any other fighters wondering bout nos.. its fairly cheap but if you want all the goodies round $1000, heres the link:
http://stores.ebay.com.au/RatedR-Custom-Motorcycle-Parts_NITROUS_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ12436947QQfti dZ2QQtZkm
but i wanna know legality of not have the bottles on..

Rocket
25-07-2007, 05:51 AM
I'm sure that having the kit mounted but with no bottles would be legal Abel.
But then, what's the use of having a Nitrous kit if you can't show it off down at the milk bar ?

Booster
25-07-2007, 08:41 AM
Problem with using the temp sensor to add fuel is slow response in both directions , i know someone that tried these , couldn't get anywhere near a safe mixture on his dyno, even put a resistor inline to simulate maximum cold and had it switching in with the nos ,
Do lots of reading about NOS before buying , and look for systems with window and rev switches.

abusa
25-07-2007, 01:21 PM
A bit of info here abelg. They dont like it at all in Queensland, Bottle or lines!

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5148

zx12argh
25-07-2007, 01:42 PM
I've been told that if when you aren't using it you can screw on some kind of water bottle (with a blanking point somewhere - I'm not saying flood your system with water) you can easily argue your system is a water injection unit.

qickdraw
25-07-2007, 02:06 PM
Abelg - it is illegal to have the system on the bike whether the bottle is attached or not. This is the same in all states in Oz. If anyone knows any different then pls correct me.
This just means you'll have to use your imagination a bit more to hide it..!!

Funkenfresh
25-07-2007, 04:02 PM
on board 'fire extuinguisher' i like that... thanks for the input guys

chopaweeza
25-07-2007, 04:57 PM
Also very illegal for the bottles to be any colour than blue as well. All the N20 made in NSW comes from my work regardless of who the distributor is . The Emergency Services boys get real uptight about it when they attend crashes as well & the driver/rider can also get in deep shit as it is a highly combustable gas . I've seen both a car and bike with bottles on board after they have gone up. The car burnt to slag within 200 metres of a fire station within 90 seconds and the bike burnt to slag in under 40 seconds apparently. Quikdraw is stop on. It is illegal to use a system on a bike on the road (in NSW for sure , not sure about the rest). If your bike has a prang with a Nitros system on board it voids your insurance and can make you automatically at fault as well so you have to pay for anyone elses damage. If you really want to use it I'll introduce you to Scott Lee , Scott used to have a successful business, a high IQ and such before the system on his GSXR locked on and he crashed into another vehicle at 300+ . He works as a cleaner now and has the IQ of a 4 year old as a result of his injuries.

Funkenfresh
25-07-2007, 05:32 PM
thanks chopaweeza.. but the plan was to have the nitrous strickly for drag use only (on a track).. hence why i was asking about
the system being hooked up, but no bottle put on... i know i have responsiblities to others on the road, and i dont plan on being a cleaner.. and either way i wouldnt trust a GSXR at 300 clicks, they are a bit flimsy (<<<< thats sure gonna ruffle some chicken wings)

chopaweeza
26-07-2007, 09:09 AM
Well thats no problem . Best contact ANDRA otherwise it may fail scrutineering . ANDRA can give you a solid ruling on it and tell you the ins & outs of what they will & won't accept. If you want to have spare bottles then look at quick release mounts so you can swap the bottle out in a couple of minutes in the pits. Just a thought.

Scott used to be one of my best mates and how he is still alive is a mystery after what happened to him . What happened to him changed the way I ride and did the same for most who knew him. Odds are it probably saved some of our lives. Thats probably no comfort for his family though.

chopaweeza
26-07-2007, 10:45 AM
Just checked with the Rep at work and it is illegal to have the bottle on the bike . Connected or not. He gave the reason as the increased risk of explosion or fire in the case of an accident. He also pointed out that to have one on the bike not connected is technically in breach of the Federal Transportation of Hazardous Goods laws which is about $2200 for each of the 4-5 laws they can fine you under if you get pulled over on the road by the RTA inspectors. It's legal yo have every other thing needed except the cylinder however so if you remove it and only attach the bottle at the strip you will be good.

Funkenfresh
26-07-2007, 04:00 PM
awesome.. thanks for the info chopa...$2200 is a fair bit of dosh!!

chopaweeza
26-07-2007, 08:53 PM
No worries mate but I think he's wrong on the amount you get fined. last driver of ours that got a fine for a breach of the Dangerous Goods Transportation Laws copped a neat $5000 fine for not having the appropriate paperwork properly filled and in door of the truck. It's mostly a case of if the person that pulls you over knows enough about the rules to book you like most things bike related. Thankfully, there are some great blokes out there that keep up with the rule & law changes so we have less of a chance of being sledgehammered out of the blue during a random harrassment stop.

leathalbusa
02-08-2007, 12:45 PM
Just checked with A bloke who sits on the tech board here in the NT. says nos system is ok to have installed but no bottle on. put the bottle on get your ass spanked. And i was told that we roughly comply with Qld regs.

If that is any help....

Funkenfresh
02-08-2007, 03:05 PM
yepp it helpfully thanks!!! i tend to think the eastern states are a little more strict with vehical laws then WA...
i got the kit today with a purge kit, its pritty neat....
ill install it after my twin hotdogg exhaust is done.. and ill post some pics

Slain
04-08-2007, 11:50 AM
qld it is illegal to have any part of a nos system installed, be it solenoids or bottle etc.
so if you have the solenoids and lines connected but no bottle you are still at fault and gone

Tony Nitrous
04-08-2007, 12:36 PM
I used to run a 2.5lb "Holley/NOS" bottle,
same width as a 2lb bottle but taller.

Was OK for several runs up the strip,
but it never lasted long enough on the road
(kit was jetted as a +60 shot / 4-inlet foggers)

The stupid little skinny bottles are only good for "show-ponies",
No use to anyone who going to be using it for real.

I was amazed the amount of guys with NOS kits who had no idea
of bottle mounting angles, where to get refills, how to flood-test,
what cast pisons would take, how to purge after refills, how to
weigh bottles to calculate whats in them, etc etc etc.

Suppose they wanted the image more than the horsepower.

Nitrous Oxide is not flamable.
in an accident it will NOT burn (on its own), although it WILL feed and accelerate
any fuel or fires that are burning.
It only supply's the air to the extra fuel you chuck into your motor.
Any fool can squirt fuel into an engine, Turbo's, Superchargers, Big cams and Carbs,
and "Nitrous Oxide" only supply the air to burn it.

http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/8748/nospickr4.jpg

The new dry systems for injected bikes soon run into limitations,
I like the old type wet NOS kits. Simple and safe.
Mine had an extra flick switch that turned the horn button into
the "NOS" button, and a micro switch on the carbs so it only came in on full throttle.
At the drags, bottle on, flick switch, launch as normal in 1st, just
use the horn button for the extra "hit" in 2nd and/or 3rd and 4th.
Shut the throttle or release the horn button, it cut out,
double NOS cut offs, and if THAT ever failed,(which i've never heard of)
clutch in and kill switch.

Only probs i ever had were....
** the cheap shitty plastic NOS lines went brittle and cracked
(NOS is F*ckin cold as it comes out) and were swopped to braided ones...[8D]
** I had a refill at the drags from a dickhead (who quite famous in the UK drags)
who had sealed his refill lead to the BIG reservior bottle in his van with PTFE/plumbers
thread tape, and blocked my filters full of shitty bits of white tape...[B)]
** never made it to the pub without running out of "happy gas"...:D

Funkenfresh
04-08-2007, 07:38 PM
now i know why they say dont use thread tape but teflon 'paste'... makes sense aye!?!?!?
the kit i bought has two 12oz bottles, that is said to be good for 30-35 secs of use....