PDA

View Full Version : quick question from a noob

Kolage
05-08-2007, 08:18 AM
GREETINGS FROM TEXAS! Ive read EXBEN is the Kawi man to talk to. Seeing as how I dont have enough posts to send a private message I thought I would try here. I have a 95 zx6r and im looking to put a new tail on it that has more clearance between the tire. The subframe is welded onto the frame its self. I was wondering if it would be safe to cut off the bottom bar on the sub frame and re-enforce the top bar with a piece of metal welded to the frame below it right under the seat. Do you know what the easiest fix for this problem would be. Also what tail would you recommend? I want the simplest solution possible while keeping it looking good. Thanks for your time and help!

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n112/kolage817/000_0011-4.jpg

damo1
05-08-2007, 11:12 AM
Welcome to the mad house Kolage;)

Yeah Exben is the guru of all mods around here and has worked on many of our bikes but hes not the only kwaka boy.

The mod your talking about is very similar to what has to be done to a gixer as they also have weld on subys but i cant see a prob with removing it at all when you do it you should think about moding the frame to a bolt on sub frame that way you can remove it and mod it in the future as well and you could also use rose joints as your bolt on points on the sub so it will be adjustable also to get the exact angle your after.

Hope this helps and im sure that there will be more info to follow.

Johnnie5
05-08-2007, 11:24 AM
i agree , cut it off , new tabs for a bolt on subframe, you can then make wahtever you want and change it whenever

would also then allow you to use a complete rear end from any bike with minimal mods

Kolage
05-08-2007, 11:33 AM
yea I was thinking about cutting it off and welding tabs to bolt it on, however there is a hole for the bottom bar, what should I do with the top one just weld a tab on the frame or drill a hole on the inside of the frame? Also aren't most newer tails shorter? And what would I do with the undertail do you think I could keep it with a lil bit of shaving if I didnt go to extreme on the angel? Or should I just make a flat piece to replace it from the outside of the subframe? Or yet another option going with a 1 piece race tail.

damo1
06-08-2007, 10:27 AM
quote:Originally posted by Kolage

yea I was thinking about cutting it off and welding tabs to bolt it on, however there is a hole for the bottom bar, what should I do with the top one just weld a tab on the frame or drill a hole on the inside of the frame? Also aren't most newer tails shorter? And what would I do with the undertail do you think I could keep it with a lil bit of shaving if I didnt go to extreme on the angel? Or should I just make a flat piece to replace it from the outside of the subframe? Or yet another option going with a 1 piece race tail.

Im not 100% sure what you mean pics would help.

As for the new tails being shorter thats a good thing aint it[?]

Just cut it off and start from scratch mate probly be heaps better results for you and wont look so tacked together.

One piece race tails work a treat the new r6/blade 600/blade 1000/
One of my favorites 954 all these have heaps of potential to any mod