PDA

View Full Version : HELP JOB NEEDED

sfoc711uk
01-08-2007, 06:02 AM
I am in Melbourne and Adelaide in october and looking for a job as a motorcycle technician.I wondered if any of you guys know of any dealerships who are looking for mechanics.
It really would have to be a jap dealer like suzuki,honda etc and hopefully with sponsorship from them so i can get in quicker.If anyone knows any dealers or is calling in could you ask them for me and let me know who they are so i can email them my details.
Ive already emailed some who have said call in for a chat which is great,But i really need to find a job whilst over there in october.

I will also be looking at houses but i need one in a decent area so i will have to be able to commute to work so something in the middle of nowhere is no good.
Cheers Guys.

sharky
01-08-2007, 07:33 AM
I really don't want to put a downer on this idea mate but you'll be lucky. To sponsor someone from another country the employer has to show the gov. that they have exhausted all options in Oz, including showing proof of advertising a position both locally and nationally.
Often the employers don't even know this.
However if Motorcycle Technician is on the 'Skills in demand' list you might find you can get in quicker using the STNI scheme (State Territories Nominated Independant) which means the the state gov. tells the Immigration that they need you so they fast track you.
This was my story. I came down for a month in 2003 and then found out about this scheme.
My visa was in my hands 51 weeks after I applied instead of the usual 18+ months for a points score type application.
I guess (unlike the uk) they try to keep the jobs 'in country'.
Its a long haul but damn worth it mate.:D

Just found these. 1st one explains STNI, 2nd is the Skill in demand list.

https://www.liveinvictoria.vic.gov.au/ViewPage.action?siteNodeId=476&languageId=1

http://www.liveinvictoria.vic.gov.au/ViewPage.action?contentId=-1&languageId=1&siteNodeId=118

sfoc711uk
01-08-2007, 08:12 AM
Cheers sharky,Technicians are on the skills needed list and you get full max points if youve got the qualifacations.Ill be having a read of those links you posted aswell mate.;)

alfiestorm
01-08-2007, 09:07 AM
Good luck with it all Dave and dont give up on it. As you know I am now here in Adelaide surrey downs to be exact and loving every thing about it.

The only arse bit about it all was leaving family and friends but hey we have the internet and free video calling (skype) so it is easier plus I have met a few of the ASF guys which has been a great boost as they have made me feel very welcome here and the start of some good friendships I feel.

Work is good totally different industry to what my skills assesment was done on but still in management and again the people are great and a good laugh as well.

When you are in Adelaide give me a call. I will email my australian mobile number to you.

Stu

sfoc711uk
04-08-2007, 06:25 AM
Stu ive sent you an email mate with my new address as the one i use on here is no more.

As for the job front ive emailed a fair few dealers and nearly all have replied,And everyone that has replied has said they would like me to call and see them and have a chat about employment.So with any luck i may get an offer.

Ive still got loads more to email as there seems to be so many dealers in Australia.

gibbo
04-08-2007, 08:25 AM
I work in Ringwood which is an eastern suburb of Melbourne and there are quite a few dealerships here, I do work for some of them and I have to say the mechanics are always moving around jobwise, I don't think you will have much trouble finding a job around this part of town. Most of the shops have recently expanded or renovated so the trade must be going pretty well. If you contact me a bit closer to the time of your visit I'll ask around for you, might even be able to set up a few meetings if you like, can't guarantee anything but I'll try. Dealers in the area are peter stevens-Suzuki-Triumph-Harley, Metro Honda & ducati, Clipstone Yamaha, A1-Aprilia-Guzzi etc,these guys have a big workshop plus some smaller shops selling odds & sods. There are a few stand alone workshops as well.

sfoc711uk
05-08-2007, 05:12 AM
Cheers gibbo that would be great if you can,Peter stevens is one dealer ive been invited to see.

Jockney Rebel
05-08-2007, 03:35 PM
there is an easier way Dave ....find a hot aussie bird and marry her ...preferably before you come here!lol seriously tho mate its worth the greif to get here and stay here are you locked into staying in melbourne cos i think theres a workshop managers pos up here ask Dazz hes just leaving a bike shop here on the coast ...

sfoc711uk
05-08-2007, 06:28 PM
mmmm The hot Aussie bird seems like a good idea lol. we were just considering Melbourne and Adelaide and visiting there.But if a job comes up anywhere its got to be considered.Where is this job you are talking of.Ive applied for one in sydney but waiting to hear back on that one.

nelpd96
06-08-2007, 03:22 PM
I know if you are willing to head up to North Queensland, Townsville is screaming for decent Techs because everyone heads out to the mines for more money. Could be worth a look.

Cheers
Paul

sfoc711uk
10-08-2007, 07:51 AM
Its worth considering if i dont get owt offered.Cheers bud.

sfoc711uk
11-08-2007, 06:47 AM
Well as of today things are looking even brighter.As i said i have a fair few dealers to see in Melbourne and Adelaide,But this morning at work on my mobile i get a call from a company in sydney wanting me to fly from Melbourne to Sydney for the day to see them and talk work.
So if all goes well i could now end up in sydney a place we were not looking at.

What a year this has been so far,It must be my year had loads of changes most for the good inc been in streetfighters mag and now people ringing me up from the other side of the world asking me to come for an interview.[8D][8D]:D:D