PDA

View Full Version : Top Fork Seal on FZR 250

zx12argh
17-07-2007, 09:43 AM
Hey folks,

I'm trying to track down a workshop manual for FZR250 but has anyone here changed a fork seal on one of these? Big Job? need any special tools? Any help would be appriciated :D

Hillsy
17-07-2007, 10:04 AM
Timing, eh? I just sold a straight set of these on egay for like 10 bucks or something...you could have had 'em for nothing..[:0]

Anyhow, all you need to do is take out the damper bolt (6MM allen bolt) which is at the bottom of the forks and pull the forks apart (might take a bit of effort - and do it over a bucket so you don't cover your garage in fork oil). It's easiest to undo the bolt with a rattle gun. Keep the springs and everything together in the top of the forks because this helps stop the damper rod from spinning. Once the forks are apart just pry out the seals and replace. Have a look at the fork stantions to make sure they don't have pitting on them where they pass the seals (wet and dry any marks out).
Put the oil back in when you get the forks together back on the bike (they've got a circlip holding the fork cap).

Easy..;)

Seifer
17-07-2007, 11:12 AM
Mate there is no FZR250 manual in known existense. Not in english anyway. Your best bet is to head to FZR250.com and search the forum for the fzr400 manual. The 2 models are surprisingly similar.

zx12argh
17-07-2007, 12:51 PM
Cheers hillsy - Too bad about the forks [>:(] but yeah timing is everything. I dont need a tool or anything to stop the damping springs from shooting out or anything? Sounds too easy. :D

Thanks Siefer - I checked them out and downloaded the FZR400 manual and the FZ250 Japanese manual - should be able to get it sorted from there.

Hillsy
17-07-2007, 01:06 PM
All the springs are inside the top part of the fork so they won't pop out on you by splitting the 2 halves. There might be a cap and a few wave washers on the end of the damper rod (these will probably fall out on your floor) - just make sure you put these back in the right way on each leg (the manual should have an exploded diagram for this).
Oh yeah - you'll have to re-assemble the legs BEFORE you put the new seals in (slide them over the uppers). You might need to make a drift to push the seal in (a bit of PVC pipe is good).

Yeah - it ain't that hard..;)