PDA

View Full Version : New police technology

12-07-2007, 01:38 PM
Rego plate scanning.

From personal experience, I found out recently that at least some of the NSW Police cars are already equipped with cameras that allow them to scan numberplates while mobile.

Luckily, I was between the workshop where the blue slip was issued, and a vendor of green slips. And had all the paperwork with me. Speedo reading also tallied.

Keep this in mind if you're tempted to sneak out for a trip to the local bike shop.

Also found out that my licence had been suspended in May 2006! That explains why I didn't receive a renewal notice...

alfiestorm
13-07-2007, 07:31 PM
number plate recognition they called it in the uk and it is every where.
All traffic cop cars are fitted with it in the uk.
Good points are that more stolen cars and bikes are being recovered than before in the uk, bad points are as mentioned above dont be tempted to go for a test run unless the bike is rego'd as they will know instantly or a few seconds if you ride past a cop car equiped with it, they will also know if your driving license is valid or not, if the bike is registered to you that is.
They probably wont bother pulling you and risk a chase unless you have just robbed a bank or been riding like a complete twat.
They have what they need on video and just knock your door or a court summons will arrive in the
post.
Has it's good points and bad.
I think it is better than those sneeky speed cams they have hidden in bushes and things in the middle of know where, they are just money machines and serve no purpose at all

hooligan
13-07-2007, 10:28 PM
Any one know how they work? Infra Red?

BOHEMION
13-07-2007, 11:03 PM
here u go Hooligan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WA5Gy32aqdo

chopaweeza
14-07-2007, 06:05 AM
They got the technology from the LAPD apparently. When I bought a car last year three days later I got pulled over by one of the newly equipped cars. The system scanned the number plate and red flagged the registered owner as having a disqualified licence. Luckily for me I had all the paperwork with me to prove I'd just bought it but I hadn't transferred ownership at the RTA yet. I got friendly with the cop and he spilled the beans on it. The system was the same they now use in Los Angeles , it scans up to 1200 licence plates an hour, the system cross referrences the registered owner for any restrictions(like P Plates), checks if the rego is current, checks if the owner has warrants/is dis-qualified & things of that nature and cross referrances it into an easily read display. So, if you are on a bike doing 100kph , are the registered owner and don't have a valid licence for example it will red flag you and the cops will pull you over. One of the drivers at work was a point in case. He got pulled over 3 times in one week while driving his wifes car to/from work . His wife got disqualified and the car is in her name so the system automatically red flags it as having a dis-qualified driver so the system isn't perfect. But, the cop that pulled me up claimed that the system snavelled 3 cars that were stolen in the previous 2 weeks that would have otherwise gone un-detected.Similarly, I know a bloke that had his KTM 525 identified through the system and got the bike back as a result.

sharky
14-07-2007, 06:56 AM
So hopefully when they scan us and we're 100% legal they won't pull us ....yeah right [:0]

Jockney Rebel
14-07-2007, 05:05 PM
they ll be fitting us with chips soon like the neighbours cat ...seriously tho i suppose its good if yer pride and joy gets nicked and you get it back ...it s bound to have faults tho ...

mindnmetal
16-07-2007, 02:08 AM
nothing is downloaded like the video in oz bohemion, in oz the system works on a camera set up on the road side(currently not in the vehicle) meaning that two vehicles are usually utilised when the system is in operation.

The camera takes a photo (currently of the front) number plate of a vehicle and uses text recognition software to get the numberplate from the image. this is then automatically typed into the system and all warnings linked to that vehicle are returned to the officer, including the owners details and if they are unlicenced. this is then passed on to another vehicle setup down the road (second stationary highway car or a mobile chase car) that stops the vehicle and makes all the neccesary check to in order to cost you the most amount of money.

As far as i know the nsw system doesnt work with bikes at the moment because the system they purchased only scans the front numberplate. I dont believe this has been rectified at this stage.

But all any police vehicle needs to do is sneak up behind you and punch your details into the computer in the vehicle and they have all the same details in a fraction of a second... always remomber to look out for the mickey mouse ear on the drivers side (or the V8 engine). dead giveaway its a high patrol looking for his daily quota...

Hope this helps guys.

Seifer
16-07-2007, 10:17 AM
I've seen them scanning from the back soit wouldnt surprise me. Shat myself when I saw them scanning coz I had a pillion on but was still on my P's. Managed to hide my plate behind a truck as I went past so all was fine. Anyway, I hoon around on WA plates in NSW, does the System currently check for all states plates or just NSW?

16-07-2007, 04:48 PM
Hey Mindnmetal,

I disagree with the info you've been given. There was no roadside setup, the cop explained to me that they now have the cameras on-board. He also said that it was based on the technology being used in America and works the same way.

The road I was on runs from my front door to where I was pulled over. It's a quietish rural road and I'd have seen any other cars parked along the side of the road. The cop passed me going in the opposite direction. Just after passing me, his brake lights came on, he did a u-turn and nabbed me.

It doesn't matter if they're behind you or approaching you. They can scan a numberplate in either direction. A bloke I know works for the company that outfits all of the police and other emergency services vehicles. I'll ask him for more info on camera placement.

HOS
16-07-2007, 06:13 PM
As alfiestorm says we have ANRV`s here in mobile units in vans and now all "traffic" cars have them fitted as standard.
ANRV : Automatic Number Plate Recogniton Vehicle I believe they are called ?

They can scan thousands of registrations a minute and from that they can tell:
If your bike is insured.
If it is road taxed.
If it has an MOT.
If you have been banned from riding.
If the bike is stolen.
If you are on the run or skipped bail.
If your wanted for a crime or two.

These scanners/ cameras do not tell them if your bike or car has been cloned as happens quite a lot here.
And it will only tell them about who the bike / car is registered to at DVLA and that doesnt necessarily mean who`s driving / riding it ;)

HOS
16-07-2007, 06:21 PM
Cloning here in the UK is getting more common.
Its when someone with the same bike or car as yours copies your registration and puts that on their car or bike.

You end up having to prove your innocense when they commit crime using your ID.

chopaweeza
16-07-2007, 07:05 PM
Got to agree with Playswithnitro . When I got pulled over the camera was in the car as well. I got pulled half a kilometer from work and there were no other cars anywere. The officer told me that the camera for it was in the car but declined to let me have a good look at it. At the time it had just completed trials with the local area patrol but I've asked around at work recently and found out they have caught several cars & 1 bike with this system since the beginning of the year. A couple have been zapped for being just out of rego(but one had only just gotten it renewed 5 minutes before)and the bike for riding a VTR1000 while on "L" plates. All caught with the recognition system they now use local to were I work. At least some of these confirmed that they were nabbed by a vehicle based system not a footpath mounted with a chase vehicle. The VTR rider noticed the marked car behind him for 10-20 seconds before the flashing lights came on so they can get bikes afterall.

loosebruce
16-07-2007, 10:15 PM
I can't help thinking, they'd be better off spending all our tax money on schools and hospitals, instead of bigger and better ways to fuck people over for relatively minor offences.[xx(]

catchmeifyoucan
16-07-2007, 10:32 PM
as far as i know the new cop cars in vic (the red ones they just bought out) have this same technology... there is only a few of them around, but im sure in a few years they will all have the recognition shit onboard....
i think the way they see it is that the more money they spend on shit like this the more money they make in the long run... fuckin cunts...

Johnnie5
17-07-2007, 08:42 AM
quote:Originally posted by loosebruce

I can't help thinking, they'd be better off spending all our tax money on schools and hospitals, instead of bigger and better ways to fuck people over for relatively minor offences.[xx(]

true

but by the same token would be good to see some stolen vehicles recovered

been fairly common knowledge for quite a wwhile that they can easily see if the registered owner is suspended and for that reasons you would never risk driving a vehicle registered in your name while suspended , afaik in NSW you cop a further 12 months if caught ddriver while disqualified

30-07-2007, 07:09 PM
****UPDATE ***

Allegedly, the following information was supplied by a friend who works at Cartech at Wetherill Park, which is part of the Autonexus/Inchcape group. They fit-out all new Emergency Services' vehicles, including Highway Patrol vehicles. According to him, this technology is being fitted to ALL new HP cars as they roll out.

I agree on the comments regarding stolen vehicles, the more bike-stealing scum that are caught, the better.

30-07-2007, 07:15 PM
PS: Johnnie 5.

If you're caught driving or riding whilst your licence is disqualified or suspended a second or subsequent time within five years, the fines double.

That's why I was in court today...

They'd sent all notification to an old address that I hadn't used for eight years. Luckily I could prove that I had notified the RTA of my correct address for the last four years and the case was dismissed.

As soon as I contacted State Debt Recovery Office and proved that it was their fault, my licence was reinstated the following day. Just in case, I've kept all letters and emails in a file. You never know...

cavey
31-07-2007, 09:12 AM
I used to get loadsa grief with my buell, its got a personal plate on it reading a Buel. I've got a B cut in half that should be 13, the number rec cant read it n plod gets the right hump! So, fit a tiny plate n don't stop. No probs!! Untill they catch me!