PDA

View Full Version : Removing wheel bearings

TwinMatch
11-07-2007, 01:37 AM
Got a 4 inch gsxr 'H' rim for the rear of the kat, and i thought i'd change the bearings before i slotted it on. But bloody hell, they are a bitch to get out.
Anyone got any tips for this - other than get the 'special bearing remover' tool from suzuki?
The bearing spacer is so fitted, that there isnt a 1mm ledge to put a screwdriver down the centre to knock the bearings out the other side.

Any advice?
TM

RussVC
11-07-2007, 10:33 AM
Use a heat gun to warm up the hub will make the bearings a lot easier to ge out.

Hillsy
11-07-2007, 11:14 AM
You should be able to put the axle back in (about half way) and move the spacer to the side enough to get a drift on the bearing.

TwinMatch
11-07-2007, 02:32 PM
Thanks fellas - I'll give it a go.
:)
TM

Iceman
11-07-2007, 07:28 PM
You can put you new bearings in the freezer for a while before putting them in it shrinks them down so they'll fit much easier.

Deano
11-07-2007, 08:39 PM
use a pin punch about 6mm dia and move the spacer as suggested. you have to have a very sharp edge on the punch so if its a bit dodgey then give it a whirl on the bench grinder

TwinMatch
15-07-2007, 10:12 AM
Update:
No friggin way am i doing that again! [xx(]

In the end i drilled out the bearing cage of the 2 bearings on 1 side and then removed the centres and then spacer. Then easily punched out the other 2 bearings on the other side. However the catch came when I had to remove the outer bearing case on the 1st side:(.
I then needed to die grind both outer races CAREFULLY.

Fiddly, time consuming and you end up barking the inner wheel hub a bit with puches and screwdrivers etc.
It wouldnt be so bad but the gsxr 1100 rims I've got have 2 bearing each side - making it even harder.
I'm taking it to a bloke with one of those special removers next time.

Lesson learnt!:D

Deano
15-07-2007, 11:22 AM
in the last 4 years i rekon i have replaced wheel bearings in both my wheels and other peoples wheels about 8 times and i always use the same drift/pucnh and hammer once the wheel is off the bike takes about 5min at the most to get old bearings out and new bearings and seals in both the rear wheel and the cush drive.

taking the inner out of the bearing is a bigg no no as it creates all sorts of problems down the track.

if it is that hard then getting our ur trusty welder and welding a piece of steel to the bearing and then hitting the peice of steel with a hammer is a better option to get it out

Johnnie5
15-07-2007, 01:45 PM
quote:Originally posted by Deano

in the last 4 years i rekon i have replaced wheel bearings in both my wheels and other peoples wheels about 8 times and i always use the same drift/pucnh and hammer once the wheel is off the bike takes about 5min at the most to get old bearings out and new bearings and seals in both the rear wheel and the cush drive.

taking the inner out of the bearing is a bigg no no as it creates all sorts of problems down the track.

if it is that hard then getting our ur trusty welder and welding a piece of steel to the bearing and then hitting the peice of steel with a hammer is a better option to get it out

yep thats the prob we had with a mates wheel the bearing was too fucked and the press pushed the centre out

after much head scratching some weld around the middle of it and it popped right out

TwinMatch
15-07-2007, 04:11 PM
Like i said earlier - lesson learnt!!!:D

If i had a welder on hand i woulda used it - unfortunately I had lent it out for the weekend.[:I]

Cheers anyways guys.
TM