PDA

View Full Version : JE Pistons

Seifer
05-07-2007, 02:30 PM
Hey guys, how do JE's go in comparison to Wiseco, I've heard theyre not bad at all but anyone here actually used them.
After being ripped off for a set previously (see the pro flo thread) im trying to find the cheapest possible.
ANyway I've found these ones and postage is just $60.
WIseco's also run a 12:1 compression, these are 11:1, whats gonna be the diffrence there?

How much are the Wiseco's from serco going for these days?
Heres what i'm looking at, any thoughts?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JE-PISTON-SUZUKI-1989-1992-GSXR-1100-PART-201165_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ35595QQihZ002QQi temZ120111638555QQrdZ1

BANDITROD
05-07-2007, 02:53 PM
ron at balls performance in sunshine reckons they are better than wiseco not sure why but his word alone is good enough for me cheers Rod

hooligan
05-07-2007, 04:44 PM
I've got a set of JE's in my gsxr. Good quality, but the distributors know fuck all about their product. If you ask them a question about fitting them, they just check with the product listing. If that listing is incorrect, well...
Serco seem to know more about the stuff they sell(regardless of what it says in the handbook).

Seifer
05-07-2007, 05:19 PM
When you say the distributor are you talking about the one on the ebay listing?

Booster
05-07-2007, 07:08 PM
I have used JE pistons in my landspeed bike , there well made but compared to Wiseco i have in my trackbike, there slightly unfinished ,mainly the valve relieves have sharp edges that need radiusing , easily done, but wiseco come done.
One of the salesmen at JE is a landspeed racer and very much knows his stuff .
I have been dissapointed in Serco, several times when making enquiries in both price and timeframe for orders.

hooligan
06-07-2007, 11:15 AM
quote:Originally posted by Seifer

When you say the distributor are you talking about the one on the ebay listing?

Nah, the aus distributor.
I didn't build the engine myself, but i trust the guy who did.
Basically we went through the catalogue, bought all the parts it said we needed. He made phone calls to check a few things out (standard gasket kit vs oversize, whether the engine would need new sleeves etc) and went with the answers given.
My big bore took longer than it should, cause i waited a few weeks for pistons. Then i had to wait a few weeks when i had to order sleeves. You get the idea.

Not saying that's everyone there, just my experience.
My mechanic says the quality is great, just a bit hard to communicate with.

Johnnie5
06-07-2007, 03:43 PM
i used a JE piston in an XR280 kit

the JE was a big more than the wiseco , and a damn sexy piston :)

cutcat
06-07-2007, 08:31 PM
Ron from Balls, built my 1216cc motor with JE 12.5:1 pistons years ago. When I had her appart last I could not believe how good the pistons looked. There was no wear. All machine lines intacted. They looked like new! I could not believe my eyes! Mind you, when I bought the bike, I was told it had had little use."only ridden on Sundays" I figured that was a standard line when selling a bike. I guess he was telling the truth!

mick355
06-07-2007, 10:19 PM
i would use the je over the wiseco anyday. From my prevoius experience with engines. Wisecos used to have a drama with cracking underneath the pin boss.

RussVC
07-07-2007, 01:23 AM
A mate bought a Wiseco 1260 kit for Period 5 GSX1100 race bike, everything looked good but the surprising thing was the gudgeon pins came in separate little plastic bags with "Made in Taiwan" on them!

zedsled
08-07-2007, 01:47 PM
Wiseco pistons and pins these days are not what they used to be, I would recommend J.E. over them anyday, the quality just isnt there anymore. Rebuilt a z900 motor a with J.E. pistons over 10 years ago, and it's still going strong as the day it was built, with all cylinders showing the same compression. M.T.C. pistons are what we use now, and by far the best that we have used so far in my opinion.
Cheers Zed