PDA

View Full Version : Boltin on a new tail

Docktor
04-07-2007, 06:01 PM
Ok, So my fighter is up to tail stage. My Q is how many people actually make a jig to get the subframe straight and how many take a rough stab at it and go she will be right? i have spent 2 days makin a jig off the frame and generally dickin about when my brain keeps tellin me to hold it there and grab the mig..................

Deano
04-07-2007, 06:09 PM
just roughly lined it up and used a spirit level to get it parrell with the frame and then used a strainght edge off the side of the rear wheel to a point on the back of the subby and kept adjusting till both sides of the subby had the same clearance.

i couldn't get it perfect but you don't notice a couple of mm once all the plastic is on the bike

good luck

BANDITROD
04-07-2007, 06:36 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^what he said mate go on you know you want too.[:p]

Pommy Chopper
04-07-2007, 08:52 PM
Stand bike upright and level, get 2 bits of angle or box section long enough to go from floor to where you want tail piece to end up.
Drill 2 holes through each piece of steel so you can get some booker rod and bolt the steel to the wheel/tyre creating a (not very nice flavoured tyre sandwich) then you can tack a piece of steel with a centre line on the right height for your tail piece creating a "T" shape.
You can then use this yo build your back end to!!!

Hope that makes some sense.

Cheers'en:)

Gix11
05-07-2007, 02:32 PM
We just did mine by eye after discovering that the stock one wasn't dead square or the frame either. At the end of the day, if it's structurally sound and looks good to the human eye what else do you need to bother about?