PDA

View Full Version : electrolysis corrosion

pommie
25-06-2007, 10:46 PM
Most of my bike is polished alloy but I’m getting problems with corrosion especially on the alloy mirror, I was told this is electrolysis, how can I stop this. Any ideas please

Deano
25-06-2007, 10:56 PM
mostly to do with the grade of alloy that its made of. it will just keep getting that white corrosion on it if left raw.

the only way would be to get it sprayed with a clear coat like clear powdercoat or glisten

WATEVR
27-06-2007, 03:29 PM
i believe electrolysis is caused by something which is not earthed properly and it then attacks your alloy bits like a radiator in a car( had to replace one due to this), so take it to an auto elec and they will be able to find it easy enough

zx12argh
27-06-2007, 04:18 PM
Electrolitic corrosion occurs when you have two metals that have differing electronegativety. Whats happening is electrons are flowing from the annode to the cathode causing oxidisation in the annode. If you can break the circuit or deprive the system of oxygen (i.e. paint it, seal it) you will stop the corrosion.

DaveK5
27-06-2007, 07:43 PM
Electrolitic corrosion occurs when you have two metals that have differing electronegativety.

True...wanna piss somebody off put a brass screw in their aluminium boat...the hole just gets bigger until the screw falls out.

Then the boat sinks..[}:)]

yama78
28-06-2007, 03:41 PM
this happens to me all the time at work with aluminum bolts in steel or some other type of metal bracket or hole. if its a threaded peace thats corroding you can use a product called ant-sieze. we use it on threads when two metals are diffrent or you will never get them out or brake bolts. maybe try adding a ground strap from your engine to your frame but most likley you will have to seal it some how.

pommie
28-06-2007, 07:44 PM
The main part is the mirror, I since clear coated it but it came back, its supposed to be billet alloy. But I did change the bolt to a stainless one, that may be the problem.