PDA

View Full Version : Slingshot GSXR750 '88 J

mindnmetal
25-06-2007, 12:43 AM
Hey guys,

Well i'm officially on leave for the next three weeks. Hoping to get the Gixxer engine stripped and the last parts taken off the frame. Dont know the condition of the engine at the moment because it refuses to start and i havent had the time to really get stuck into it as yet.

At this stage i have checked the plugs in it and two of them were drowned in oil so im guessing that rings are probably going to make it onto my shopping list atleast.

I'm just after some generic help at the moment on three subjects. Firstly the engine. Has anyone got experience or advice on upgrades and possibly shops that sell parts like pistons in Oz so as to get the most out of the 750 J engine.

Next is the swing arm... or just the wheel base in general. Any ideas about how to shorten the wheel length or a sorter swing arm that fits into the frame.

Next is the back wheel. I heard that a bandit wheel would fit into the swingarm of the gixxer so a 180 tyre can be used. Has anyone done thi or can anyone recomend a wheel that will fit into the original swing arm.

At this stage my plan is to keep just about everything cosmetic standard and put the last of my funds into the engine to get the project started (project funds took a beating over the last couple of weeks unfortunately which put a few ideas on the back burner)

Any other advice about what will fit onto the J frame would also be much appreciated. mostly after performance rather than looks. Also trying to move the power down low for acceleration more than top end (got the ZX10R for that).

Sorry if these question are a bit generic and vague, just wondering if anyone has ideas that ive missed and again sorry if its already been answered a thousand times before.

Cheers guys,

Shannon.

Tone
25-06-2007, 05:42 AM
I'll be watching this thread with interest,good luck with the build and keep posting on the progress.I'm sure I just saw something recently about a 5.5" rim going straight into this swinger,just can't remember where.I seem to remember asking Ben about this a while back to and I'm sure he reckoned it'd happen with no drama.Best check with him.
Good luck.

Gix11
25-06-2007, 07:51 AM
Supercharger Mark has done the 1100H 180 wheel conversion which I doubt is much difference to what you want to do. I think just a new caliper hanger and spacer changes was all that was needed. Get 3 more posts in and email him, or see if he drops by here. Show us a photo of your bike anyway mate.

Swingarms I can't tell you but I know someone will.

25-06-2007, 05:46 PM
The reason that you choose an 88 is that has the shortest W.B at 1400mm so if you are chasing some hanling from the chassis that you have chosen[8D]obtain a front end from a ZXR750 with the six spots` or 05/ Thou;)bolt it in & then yool need to upgrade the rear shock that is shitfull:(YZF100 will go strayt in & pitch the front foward so it will turn.my advice is to keep the wheels as STD.[8D]
Those bikes were very good handlers so just tune the thing & push the front[}:)]

mindnmetal
25-06-2007, 06:03 PM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/953791546497567.JPG

Well this is currently whats sitting in my garage... along with a million other bits and pieces and a grease covered manual. just waiting for payday so i can buy some paint a spray it matt black (i know i should powder coat it but i'm going the cheap option at the moment bacause i'm keeping the original subframe and fibreglassing a custom tail piece up for the time being with future plans of a subframe conversion depending on how things go.)

The engine is about to be pulled apart to see what kind of condition the internals are in. Then just a matter of saving up soe money and buying the bits to go back into it.

Got my patch in the mail today too, Thanks Si. Although i'm not real confident about my job of sewing it onto my jacket.

Also been toying with the idea of pulling on of the front brakes of an just having the single caliper and disc upfront to save some weight... any ideas on this?

Deano
25-06-2007, 06:05 PM
stick with the standard swingarm length as they are pretty short as they are. if you want to pop the front up easier then channe the gearing as you will loose stability on the back wheel if you shorten the wheel base. if your realy want to slot the standard arm chain adjusters for a little shorter wheel base.

any gixxer 5.5 wheel will fit up to srad. the later wheels have a different sprocket carrier so you will need a compete wheel and cush drive assy.
if you use the later water cooled wheel you will have to flick out the oil seal on the brake side and use the J model spacers.

Keep in mind that the sprockets will then not be lined up. the spacer on the gearbox output shaft will be slightly shorter for the 4.5 wheel. when using the wider wheel you will have to space out the front sprocket to regain correct chain alignment.

as for the motor. don't bother with the 750 IMO i wouldn't rebuild it. a good s/hand motor can be had for nicks (i no of 1 for sale) i would keep my eye open for an 1100 or bandint 12 motor. the expense of rebuilding a 750 will probably be as much as a good s/hand bandit motor.

I 750 gearboxes are weak if you plan to wheelie it a bit so expect to rebuild the gearbox before you realy want to

good luck

Deano
25-06-2007, 06:08 PM
if you are worried about 1kg worth of caliper and disc then just dont fill your fuel tank up past 1/2 way that way you will probably save about 8kg.

there your brakes but the better they work the longer you live

don't fuck with them

mindnmetal
26-06-2007, 12:06 PM
Thanks for the info deano.

At this stage i want to stick with the 750 motor. Took my brother in laws 99 R6 out for a test ride when he got it and was really impressed with the how the smaller, carbied bike felt compared to the ZX10R rocket i usually ride.

Want something of the same calibre, small, light and fun just to play around on because of unreal handling.