PDA

View Full Version : how to turn a 4 into a twin

Jockney Rebel
22-06-2007, 05:21 PM
well ive just done a compression test on my sick engine and [with the help and advice of a proper mechanic ] i reckon i dropped a valve[V] or sommat we ll see on sunday when i pull the head off ...
i may be in the market for an engine or at least a head[V]

Chris41
22-06-2007, 07:03 PM
Hi Jim, At best you've prob burnt a valve not uncommon on rollerdoors I've done one at Golburn and made it to Seymour and the valve looked like some-one had an oxy to it. The stock valves can't be ground the nitriding treatment is to thin. Depends on how much you want to spend If most of the valves are ok have the seats cut and or use an old valve to lap them in and replace the f*cked ones. If you dropped a valve on the 900 you would Know it makes a racket where a burnt valve just gets "fluffy" sounding, (excuse the technical jargon there) Give us call if you need anything we got tons o'shit up here.
Chris

Jockney Rebel
23-06-2007, 03:48 AM
cheers chris ill know better after ive had the head off it it does seem a bit weird my mates 750f threw a shim out of the cam cover once and ive heard of a few cam chain tensioners going west
thanks for the offer chris mate you can def rely on me contacting you soon ..

Chris41
23-06-2007, 02:23 PM
Spitting a shim with stock cams would be rare. The 750/900 tensioners are shit especially the main cam tensioner try to find 1100f tensioners I havent pulled a 900 down that hasn't had a buggered tensioner. I have seen 2 other guys both lose race engines cause of these tensioners.

Chris

Jockney Rebel
25-06-2007, 04:32 PM
ok chaps ...the head is toast [the exhaust cam journals have picked up badly ] this still doesnt explain my rapid lack of comp as the valves look ok but ill test the respective valves to see if they hold liquid ... ive found a head complete with cams in brissy for 175 bucks and i also know of an 1100 engine in bits in victoria so just gotta price up the gasket set and tensioners
Chris.. what should i be askin for re the 1100 tensioners ?

Jockney Rebel
25-06-2007, 04:34 PM
chris if u got a head id be interested mate and some cams and caps ,front cam chain guide, 1100 top end ? maybe

evad
25-06-2007, 07:05 PM
Bugger, not good.
Did you have oil pressure issues?
Cam bearings are normally the first to die if there is not enoough oil pressure. Have a look at www.bkperformance.com.au. you can check what he has online and his gaskets are the best price Ive come across.

Jockney Rebel
25-06-2007, 11:13 PM
looks like it dave theres a connecting pipe btween the cams and it looks like it got blocked or something evrything in front of that pipe is junk thanks for the lead mate ..hows the Zed btw i was looking forward to seeing that on the afr.

Chris41
26-06-2007, 08:22 AM
Jim usually if there has been an oil pressure problem the big ends are toast. unfortunately as you have found out the cams run directly in the cam caps and rely on oil pressure for clearance and cam caps can't technically go from head to head or be replaced although I have never tried it on the Honda. I have done it on a GPZ but they only have 4 caps to mess with.
Main cam tensioner list price $ 189 top tensioner $ 105 I have seen em go for $50 - $80 on eb*y
Check the link below when you need to check prices so you know how much a wrecker or someone is asking
http://www.bikebandit.com/partsbandit/OEM-Parts-Nav.asp
Penrith wreckers has some 900f engines last time I was there
I have 2 heads, 1 no valves, 1 with poor valves and one dodgy spark plug thread that needs an insert try to find a good one first if you can't find find a good head give me a yell "never by a head without cam caps".
Chris

evad
26-06-2007, 02:14 PM
Hey Jim, I tink you should can the 900 motor and put one of these in instead :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrejSMvYihA&mode=user&search=
Sounds like a ferarri!
Zed is good, I have to get into the shed and fininsh th e wirung changes and hopefully the 4ooo rpm miss will be gone. Hope so I really need to make a stert on the gpz if Im goihg to havee it done for the fools run. If not you may geet to see the Zed there, lol

Jockney Rebel
26-06-2007, 04:52 PM
git ....lolDave thats aural sex that oh yeah id have one.... but unfortunately they are just as [if not more ]rare than a cb1100f
so far ive uncovered a head in brissy $175 del with 750? cams and caps , one down here with 3 valves missing and no caps or cams for $200,
i may be able to offset some of the cost of the rebuild by getting rid of the old Bultaco ive got we ll see
theres a rumour round here that some guys got 2 in bits in his shed and i thnik the guy i bought my headers from has an 1100 engine with the top end stripped but he hasnt got back to me yet
ta chris mate ill let you know.... ive got about 4 weeks on this [i want it finished before my parents arrive in august and my tank should be ready by then ]

Jockney Rebel
26-06-2007, 04:54 PM
..also ive toyed with the idea of putting a 900 blade lump in it ..dunno how difficult thatd be but ...

evad
26-06-2007, 07:01 PM
Why Stop at a 900 blade go the CB1300 or blackbird motor [:p]
Jim if you need a hand with collecting the head in Brissy let me know, Im happy to help

Jockney Rebel
27-06-2007, 05:18 PM
cheers dave ..that was the idea but we re gonna buy a house soon so i was kinda hopin the old girl would last til xmas then i was gonna troll round the auctions and stuff lookin for a crashed cb1000 or 13 or cb1100f/r to rob bits from.. engine ,swing arm etc