PDA

View Full Version : Rear brake Question

Iceman
22-06-2007, 01:04 PM
The rear brake on my RF900R is not releasing. It doesn't happen every time, but every now and then it stays on. Anyone had this happen to them before and how do I correct the problem?

sharky
22-06-2007, 01:48 PM
I assume you mean the caliper isn't releasing ? Just remove it (leave the line attached) pop out the pads..put a thin bit of plywood in between the pistons and GENTLY press on the lever...then clean the crud of the pistons....Bit of brake fluid on them and push 'em back in.
If this don't work its strip down time matey.

Gix11
22-06-2007, 03:50 PM
Yep. What Sharky said.

speeddemon
22-06-2007, 04:49 PM
Just do Damo's trick and dont bother with one at all[^]

22-06-2007, 05:09 PM
Have you had the wheel out lately[?]if so sumfin dont line up;)Had a bloke F@ckN fuming after we fitted a new rear on his softail[}:)]I managed to stay calm & after asking the right questions he had changed the rear wheel from 150 to a 190 section.Instead of lining up the disc he worked off the rubber band[:p]
Check ya spacers,if not free up the pads;)

Hillsy
22-06-2007, 07:33 PM
Had this happen to me on the front brakes once - turned out the pads were wearing uneven (from front to back of the pad) and the pistons were not coming out straight, then locking on. New pads fixed it. This was on 4 spot calipers though.

Iceman
23-06-2007, 12:26 AM
I haven't had the wheel off for ages, I'll pull the caliper off like Sharky said and check it out.

Thanks guys.

damo1
23-06-2007, 09:01 AM
Yeah i had the exact prob on an old bike the thing locked on to a point that the bike couldnt be moved ,so i just cracked the nipple and then just bleed then old fluid right through so it had new fluid right through and it seemed to fix the prob.

Im not saying that its going to fix the prob for good but it worked until i sold it that was about 6mths.

Chris41
26-06-2007, 07:55 AM
Master cylinders have a very small hole usually next to the main hole from the res to the m/c piston, this is to relieve pressure it can get blocked easy and pressure builds in the line. It always pays to check this on second hand m/c s. use a small piece of wire as its a fucking small hole.
Chris