PDA

View Full Version : New Bike - best way to run it in.

zx12argh
18-06-2007, 06:36 PM
Okay guys - finally decided and organised some money I am the owner of a brand new VTR1000. Ticks all the boxes for commuter and track stuff as far as I can see - and I know a couple guys stunt these bikes so they cant be all that bad :D

Now my question is - what is the best way to run in a new bike.

I've been looking around the web, particularly this site http://mototuneusa.com/ and the picture I am starting to build is that factory run in instructions are more to acquaint a new rider to a new bike rather then running in the engine.

Does anyone have any experience in alternative running in?

My plan at this stage is to drop the oil and filter after the first 50kms to ditch all the machining dags, stay within the manufacturers RPM limits but race the engine hard repeatedly to these limits - avoiding constant throttle situations at all costs...

What do you folks reckon?

chopiesel
18-06-2007, 07:09 PM
tak eit easy for a a few hundred kms then strap the nuts off it. dont load the engine in a high gear

Johnnie5
18-06-2007, 07:37 PM
know several people that have used that method with very good results

i believe you hit the nail on the head re running in the rider

cutcat
18-06-2007, 07:45 PM
Hey congrats on your purchase 12. It was fun trying to spend your money!

That running in program you suggested sounds dandy to me.

zx12argh
18-06-2007, 08:06 PM
Yeah - thanks for all your input guys on the new bike. I almost went a GSXR750 but then test rode the VTR1000. The GSXR goes and corners hard (absolute hoot to ride :D) but it was just outside my price range - I wanted a low km newish k6 - total horn that bike is.

So I rode the VTR and loved the engine - nice twin - smooth delivery and room for improvement/modification to personalise it ;). I figure she's a bit on the ugly side - but I've had ugly girlfriends before that have given me a wild ride [:p]

Theres a couple mods I have in mind - nothing drastic - I want to keep it fairly stock as all the money is going into the 12r. Definitely heading to a track soon tho!

loosebruce
18-06-2007, 08:45 PM
There was a good article in Rapid, a couple of issues ago, about running in.
There is an expression "run em in fast and they go fast" but use with caution.
I've always been told,during run in, to avoid high revs (kills bigends), but to "lug"(open throttle up from fairly low revs without knocking/detonation),the motor helps bed in rings.
Ditching the oil early is a good idea, common advise is to not run synthetics during run in.
VTR's seem to be an underrated bike, nice choice.

chadams
18-06-2007, 09:24 PM
ride it like you stole it.... I think Davo recommended it to me...... and fuck yeah there is no other way...

WATEVR
18-06-2007, 09:37 PM
if you can afford it get it run in on a dyno. and also work the gears more than normal and no synthetic oil for a while.

great choice as well mate i too am thinking of one for a second ride, let us know the progress.

WATEVR
18-06-2007, 09:39 PM
here is a good site to have a look at in regard to firestorms

http://ozfirestorm.com.au/OZFireStorm.html

Phill
19-06-2007, 07:53 AM
Run it in Hard and "lug" it down the rev range but dont over rev it.Beds the rings in if you lug it but after about 500kms its all over. change the oil early. That link for run in is pretty accurate.
I get new truck motors run in on a dyno before I fit them, stops the drivers fucking them from the word go! Bit of rooting around but they last longer, use less or no oil and have a better torque range (they pull better) when your loaded.

Matt
19-06-2007, 08:48 AM
Has anyone ever got there bike run in on a dyno? Any idea on cost? I imagine it wouldnt be cheap, but well worth the money.

alfiestorm
19-06-2007, 09:34 AM
Thrash the fuggin tits off it,cahnge the oil regular and keep thrashing it, yeah that should do it :D

latheboy
19-06-2007, 10:15 AM
Leave in neutral and hold it on redline for 5 min straight off the key and youll be fine :D[}:)];)

zx12argh
19-06-2007, 10:26 AM
latheboy <= Click Bang!

cutcat
19-06-2007, 11:49 AM
Hey don't laugh 12, Latheboy is right, I have heard of this being done to production line cars!!!

latheboy
19-06-2007, 12:23 PM
quote:Originally posted by Matt

Has anyone ever got there bike run in on a dyno? Any idea on cost? I imagine it wouldnt be cheap, but well worth the money.

I've run in a couple of bikes on a dyno .. cost ummm well .. nothing for me other than not getting lunch as we always have 4 or more dyno's on the floor ;) .. I build them for a living .. Like watevr said if you can afford it do it on a dyno ... a mate built a RB25T a few years ago and it first started life at 6500rpm and held there for while .. maybe 5 min ..then oil and fliter change and into car .. it was on an engine dyno and the load was up and down the whole time .. and its still going strong today with even more boost ..

Buggzz
19-06-2007, 12:38 PM
Which ever method you end up employing at the end of the day it will still be a Honda and most likely outlast your interest in it, don't get me wrong, great all round bike.

BTW have you noticed how cheap second hand and in particular pranged VTR's are going for?
They can't give them away, good if you are looking for a cheap second bike / project!

19-06-2007, 12:50 PM
Right[}:)]first tank of fuel,find a lonely stretch of road that will allow 12o kph.Run thru the gears allowing the engine to spin up[8D]do this for about half the tank.Then you need to "load" the rings;)wot i mean by this is to open the throttle so the bike is not reving as it shood compared to the throttle position[:I]Objective[?]to force the rings against the cylander wall to mate properly:D
Second tank of fuel[8)]if you want your bike to be slow[xx(]run it in slow[:X]give it the berries[^]
p.s i have lost count of VTR1000`s that i have sold ova the years & rode the first one in the country back in 1997[8D]
They have no immetiate mechanical probs & the only one i know of was due to a 5kl wheelstand[^]

Anakist
19-06-2007, 09:13 PM
http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Oils1.html

Use synthetic. Better for the motor.

James

20-06-2007, 01:05 PM
Sorry[:X]Wrong:(use semi on large twins AFTER RUN IN ;)
quote:Originally posted by Anakist

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Oils1.html

Use synthetic. Better for the motor.

James

zx12argh
20-06-2007, 01:37 PM
I'm stuck in the middle of bloody bris vegas city so its hard to get out onto some nice roads to get a decent run up.

So far I've been on the throttle up to 60-80 back off - engine brake to 40 back up to 60 - 80 - repeat wash rinse ;)- every so often give it a yehaw up to 120 through a couple gears. I took it for a brisk-ish ride through Mt Cootha early this morning as its next door practically. I reckon I can feel an improvement in the engines throttle response already. The bikes got 50 k's on it I'll probably do another ride over cootha tomorrow and drop the oil on friday arvo so by then probably done about 80-90 kms.

Then I'll take her for a strap over glorious or mt mee this weekend. I should have her broken in by the end of next week - assuming my license survives [:p]

--- Oh and I'm confused [:o)] - which oil do you guys reckon is best for the next run in stage [?] ---

Buggzz
20-06-2007, 03:00 PM
Apparently the mineral oil used in Triumph's for the first 800km is an oil designed for diesal engines, chosen for it's superior scavenging characteristics.
Then it's synthetic thereafter.
Castrol Grand Prix should be fine in your VTR, why waste money on synthetics if you don't need it, regular changes are more important.