PDA

View Full Version : Engines

WarHound
16-06-2007, 04:42 PM
Ok,
Here goes.. I have started looking into the future engine swap into the GSX750F and the most likely candidate is the GSXR1100 / Bandit 1200 motor.. Some people have told me it will slot right into a 750F frame .. others have told me there are some mods needed. The suggestions from there become interesting.
I am told the GSXR1100 motor is a little better than the bandits but others tell me that they are the same motor. I have also been told that it is possible to get an older GSXR750 Bottom end / Gearbox and fit it too a GSXR1100 top end, thus giving you the six speed gearbox, from what I gather that isn't possible on the bandit motor?
Now I am also looking at whether or not to get an old GSXR1100 motor and considering it will be rebuilt anyways - getting it bored .. I am well aware this is going to cost me $$$ but this is a long term project so its all good.
Jim at hand made racers put me on to dave at albion motorcycles .. but he seemed a little hesitant at the idea of fitting the motor but said putting the 750 gearbox on the 1100 top was ballpark 1500 bucks . so thats not too bad .. but what I wanted to know aside from opinions on my ideas .. also does anyone know someone that can do this or help me with this job .. especially up in QLD ..?? Like I said this isnt an ASAP thing .. I am kinda looking on my budget of a six moth to one year build time .. most of which will be getting the bitz and saving the cash for the job ?
I am just interested in people on here's opinions ..

Hillsy
16-06-2007, 07:01 PM
Hey Warhound, check this out:

http://www.katriders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=22611

It's some notes on a Bandit swap into a 750 GSXF. There's also other posts on that forum about engine swaps - do a search mate.

Dave at Albion is probably the only guy in BNE that will fully re-build a GSX motor himself (he's got a Serdi head / valve mill) and he's probably the cheapest for labour. I got Dave to re-build my old EFE motor about 8 years ago - and I hear it's still going strong.

damo1
17-06-2007, 08:42 AM
Mate you need to talk to mundy hes the guru of the shit your talking
check out his thread "nice init";)

zx12argh
17-06-2007, 10:07 AM
and employ a translator... ;)

Deano
17-06-2007, 10:20 AM
personally i wouldn't bother with the 6 speed box conversion. you are gunna have issuse with the clutch and getting the 1100 clutch onto the 750 clutch shaft. 750 gearboxes were weak as it was so a heap more power and torque through them will have you fixing gearboxes more than you want to. if you go the 1100 conversion anyway you will have a shit load more power anyway so a closer ratio box is gunna be fuck all gain unless you are racing.

what year bike is it? is it the later kat with the oil cooled gixxa 750 style motor or the earlier styly like mundy's?

the gix 11 and bandit 12 motors are the same deminsionally so if a 11 will fit in so will the bandit.

the bandit motor is tuned for more usable power. it has smaller carbs softer cames and i think 1mm smaller valves. it also has lower comp and is 1157cc. it is designed for midrange grunt so on a road bike it would be more desirable. the gix motor is tuned to topend performance and would really shine from 6 grand on. the choice of motor will come down to the type of riding you do.

the bandit motor would be my choice as they are around with few km on the clock as they were still able to be brought brand new till this year were as a gixxa motor will be a miniun or 15 years old. you will probably find that a bandit motor with few km will be nearly the same price as a gix motor with 80k on the clock. earlier this year i brought a 2004 bandit 12 motor for the turbo project with 4k on it for $2500 including carbs, clutch master and line, sprocket cover with speedo pick up and all motor mounts and bolts. They also had a 11 motor their and for the same setup was $2000 but had 79k on it.

easy choice to make in my opinion

17-06-2007, 01:31 PM
That`s zackly wot i was gonna type but difrent;)thank`s Deano[8D]
If you buy an import with 18,000 k`s on it,u will have to knock it down to free up the ring`s;)
Bampit:)f@ck`n round with conversions stops u from riding[^]

WarHound
17-06-2007, 03:57 PM
Ok thats what I wanted to know .. bandit it is 8) .. I have an 01 GSXF to answer the question . as well . Joe is helping me out soon to do a few brake and suspension conversions before I do a motor swap 8)