PDA

View Full Version : Picky Boys in Blue

hamo
13-06-2007, 01:54 PM
Havent posted anything for a while but here goes.

Finally bought myself a bike - 2002 Speed Triple (and loving it) went for my first proper ride on the Quuens Birthday Public Holiday on Monday up to Mt Nebo and Mt Glorius with a couple of mates. i was riding back by myself when i got pulled up by a Motorbike Cop around Ashgrove/Bardon – what a wanker, the most un-humorous pommy I think I’ve ever met. He was picking on the number plate/fender eliminator & the blinkers and the fact that my tyres had seen a 20min track session at Willowbank before they were put on the Trumpy. No fine or anything so I’m looking into whether he was full of shite……nice intro back into riding hey!:(

Anyone else had an crap like that happen and how serious is all this ADR compliance crap???? Especially want to hear from the QLD contingent!

Hillsy
13-06-2007, 02:34 PM
You're probably lucky not getting booked there Hamo. I've heard a few stories about guys being booked for having fender eliminators. They're illegal apparently (as they take away your fender....).
As for the dissing of the state of your tyres, he's just being a wanker. Probably thought you'd just been gassing it around the mountain.
But that's what you get going for a ride through Glorious on a public holiday nowadays....

Rocket
13-06-2007, 02:53 PM
In QLD (and probably everywhere else) your rear fender needs to finish at 45 degree's or less from your axle. So cutting your fender or removing above 45 degree's is illegal and you should be ashamed of yourself.
I would like to see if something like the little guard thing those BMW trailies use that bolt to the axle and poke out the back would pass over the pits.

Buggzz
13-06-2007, 03:25 PM
Top choice of bike there Hammo, owning an 03 I would be interested to know what type of fender eliminator you have?

cheers.

cutcat
13-06-2007, 04:59 PM
Hey buggz, good to see you finally bought something. We'll have to catch up on a ride one day.

As for the fender eliminators.....when you look at the very latest bikes in the shops, especially the Yammies R1 and R6 the undertails are getting smaller and smaller. Eventually this law will fizzle out I recon. They are not nearly as strict on the length of undertails during RWC checks like they used to be. Or have I just been going to the right bloke:D:D

Cheers

ozzy1100
13-06-2007, 07:06 PM
mind you its a bit of a mine field at the moment rideing
over Mt Nebo and Mt Glorius lol

Buggzz
13-06-2007, 08:31 PM
been with the triples for a while now, was actually looking for something specifically for the drag strip, still looking.
Realised I was cutting someone elses grass hence the reason I quit bugging you, but all the same you are right we will have to catch up one of these days.

chopaweeza
18-06-2007, 09:33 AM
Actually Rocket the 45 degree rule is a national one(an ADR in fact). Although, in some states Huggers do count but in others they don't. From memory, if you are running a hugger thats long enough in Qld with a fender eliminator it's legal. In NSW and Vic it's not as cut & dry apparently . I've been booked for having a fender eliminator & a full length hugger but had it overturned after I wrote a letter to them and included photo's . Running a fender eliminator without a full length hugger is illegal point blank were ever you are so count yourself lucky. In NSW it's a Yellow defect if they enforce it by the way as it's removing safety equipment.

KB
19-06-2007, 10:15 PM
A few of the CBR250.com crew got peened on Glorious for "no rear mud guard" on a ride we did bout 2-3 weeks ago. If you check out the forum and do a search, there's a bit of a discussion. Specially frustrating coz the bikes are being sold and roadworthied ok and still getting booked.

jakam04
19-06-2007, 10:18 PM
quote:Originally posted by chopaweeza

Actually Rocket the 45 degree rule is a national one(an ADR in fact). Although, in some states Huggers do count but in others they don't. From memory, if you are running a hugger thats long enough in Qld with a fender eliminator it's legal. In NSW and Vic it's not as cut & dry apparently . I've been booked for having a fender eliminator & a full length hugger but had it overturned after I wrote a letter to them and included photo's . Running a fender eliminator without a full length hugger is illegal point blank were ever you are so count yourself lucky. In NSW it's a Yellow defect if they enforce it by the way as it's removing safety equipment.

Hey Chop.

Could you explain whats considered a correct length for a hugger? as I need to make one for my bike.

Thanks

Jarrod

chopaweeza
20-06-2007, 12:55 PM
One that extends past the 45 degree mark in relation to the rear axle mate. It also helps when the filth ask about them don't call them huggers , call them swingarm mounted mudguards which even the thickest cop will understand. A work mate of mine apparently talked his way out of a defect by explaining to the RTA examiner that he added the hugger because it stopped more shit being thrown at the vehicles behind him then the stock set up........

Buggzz
20-06-2007, 03:01 PM
chopa is your hugger similar to those found on the early buell's?

chopaweeza
20-06-2007, 03:36 PM
It was an aftermarket fibreglass that I ordered out of the back of Streetfighters but yeh, it was similar to the Buell items only not as bulky. I sold the bike about 2 years ago and thanks to a recent hard drive failure I don't have any pictures now. If you are running stock width indicators & stock tail light they have little to hold you on. Just so long as the tread surface area is covered from a rear view it is probably legal here. We have to go through similar with any choppers we build as well and we have to know our stuff because of the increasing numbers of young cops that like to throw their weight around when they pull us over.

HueyonaBlade
20-06-2007, 04:16 PM
Hey chop what if the bike never came out with any form of rear hugger or such like the earlie blade? Is it illegal to run with out one now?

chopaweeza
20-06-2007, 05:27 PM
I ran on on a 96' Bandit 12 with only the one glitch(as listed above) . Alot depends on how it is attached as well. If you have to drill into the swingarm then technically you need an Engineers for it. But , generally speaking, if the mounts for the swingarm mounted mudguard are not bodgy and it is firmly mounted in say 4 or more places then you should be right. But, the line between legal and illegal is a fine one. Alot of the things we do to our bikes are technically illegal so it's all a matter of the knowledge of the person that pulls you over. From what I've been told it is not illegal to remove a stock hugger as long as you are still running a chain guard & have a rear frame mounted guard that meets the 45 degree ruling.Also, many of the fender eliminators are illegal , not so much as to eliminating the rear guard but due to the way they mount the blinkers/tail light/number plate and the type of replacement parts they use.