PDA

View Full Version : easy dent removal vid

yama78
12-06-2007, 03:42 PM
could work on tanks. i would try it if i had a dent to remove but if someone tries it and posts how it works out. its the second link that goes to the video
http://www.1000www.autoblog.com/2007/05/29/video-car-dent-removal-with-hair-dryer-and-compressed-air/

BANDITROD
12-06-2007, 04:18 PM
thats pretty cool makes you wonder how he figured it out:D

auskat
12-06-2007, 06:25 PM
I agree - great tip. I've got a couple of spare parts I might try it out on. If for nothing more than to see if it actually works!!

ozzy1100
12-06-2007, 06:53 PM
ive wacthed panel beatters use oxy and a wet rag strighten big panels like vans but never take out a
dent that is cool have 2 try one day

Gix11
17-06-2007, 10:25 AM
Woah Matt! That's a cool find mate. The theory is pretty obvious but you would think of using it for that hey? Cheers for the link mate.

SonicBird
23-06-2007, 01:31 PM
It's possible that it worked but it would only work on a shallow dent with no creases or edges.
The Oxy/water thing is still used by some people but it's now commonly regarded as bad practice as the water cooling the hot steel hardens it and may cause cracking!
The best bet would be a paintless dent repair kit or operative, or don't ride like a Nobber and damage your bike???

Cheers'en.
Shaun on the Birds Log-in.......

Guess i'll have to get my own log-in as there's Streetfighter Chaps to taunt:D

loosebruce
23-06-2007, 09:46 PM
Tried on an old GS1000 tank this arvo, no go.
Went to the gas torch and water, nuh ahh.
Think Birdboy's right about the edges.;)

chopaweeza
24-06-2007, 02:30 PM
Shaun is spot on. You start heating & quenching tin steel and you will have it stress fracture. That simple. It creates Hard Spots. Unlike the maliable steel around the area that has not been heat quench hardened or work hardened the area will have not give. The differences in the heat treated area and the area around it will eventually cause cracks. The two areas will react differently to heat & cold. The metal in these areas will shrink or expand at different rates eventually causing cracks. Also, if the hardness of the spot you quenched with the rag is too hard then the vibrations of the bike may cause the area to crack or break off. I trained as a Blacksmith and it's basic hardening technicques.