PDA

View Full Version : painting help

Pil
09-06-2007, 09:33 AM
So Im getting closer to painting my tank and the guards but not the full bottle on the process. I can spray but the finer points Im not to sure on. The peices are all getting sand blasted then primed by the sandblasters.
1- I have a small dent in the side of the tank that needs bogging up can I just bog straight over the primer.
2- Im thinking of painting the bike satin black how much does this suck as a finish and ease of cleaning.
3- I know people talk about paint compatability so do I need to know what the sandblasters put on so I can make sure the next lot of primer and then the top coat will play nice together.
I hate not knowing how to do somthing but ya gotta start somwhere so any help to make me not so stoopid would be sweet. Thanks Pil

Hillsy
09-06-2007, 09:49 AM
Here ya go - grab a beer and have a read....

http://www.autobody101.com/

gibbo
09-06-2007, 10:37 AM
1- find out from your sandblaster what primer he is applying, this is very important as it determines what comes next. Find out and get back to us.
2-filler can usually be applied over primer, depends on what the primer is, but will need to be re primed over filler before painting.
3-satin black is ok but will end up shiny in areas where your leathers rub against, eg side of tank.
4-2k paint finishes are best for longevity but harder to apply.

Pil
10-06-2007, 08:24 AM
thanks for the info and link just what I needed. Will speak to the sand blasters in the new week and find out the primer he is spraying then make the rest of my choices from there. Thanks Pil

damo1
10-06-2007, 08:26 AM
[quote]Originally posted by gibbo

1- find out from your sandblaster what primer he is applying, this is very important as it determines what comes next. Find out and get back to us.
2-filler can usually be applied over primer, depends on what the primer is, but will need to be re primed over filler before painting.

This is my experience with sand blasters!

1-They just use cheap shit acylic primer the only reason they put any on is because it stops it rusting before you pick it up.
Wipe it off with thinners and put some decent stuff one when your ready to paint.

2-I dont sugest putting filler over primer unless you are going to use fine filler if you use fine filler you still have to scuff up the surface of the paint with at least 120 grit to give it something to bond to.You can only use this filler on small dents nothing to large.
But since the tank is in primer just sand it and do it properly your going to have to re primer it anyway.

3- As`Gibbo said go 2K so youll have to use a 2k primer anyway.
by the way dont you find that the surface of the tank is very
rough at the moment?????after being sand blasted
If so your going to have to putty it up any way so youll
have to use a 2K putty so there you go start from there.

Pil
11-06-2007, 07:47 AM
nothing has gone to the blasters yet. on the weekend Ive had a few mind changes so its gonna effect what Im doing now anyway. Painting might be a bit further out now but all the info has been stored till then. Thanks again much appreciated Pil