PDA

View Full Version : what have the Scots ever done for us?

Jockney Rebel
07-12-2006, 05:30 PM
well....heres a bit of fun
pneumatic tyres John Dunlop
road surfacing John McAdam
television John Logie Baird [although his system isnt in use he was 1st]
the U.S.Navy John paul Jones
Pennicillin Alexander Fleming
Bank of England!! Some Glaswegian whos name i cant remember
Telephone Alexander graham Bell
English national dress John Macintosh
and theres more ...

Large
07-12-2006, 05:34 PM
In 1928, Sir Alexander Fleming observed that colonies of the bacterium Staphylococcus aureus could be destroyed by the mold Penicillium notatum, proving that there was an antibacterial agent there in principle. This principle later lead to medicines that could kill certain types of disease-causing bacteria inside the body.

At the time, however, the importance of Alexander Fleming's discovery was not known. Use of penicillin did not begin until the 1940s when Howard Florey and Ernst Chain isolated the active ingredient and developed a powdery form of the medicine

It was not until 1939 that Dr. Howard Florey, a future Nobel Laureate, and three colleagues at Oxford University began intensive research and were able to demonstrate penicillin's ability to kill infectious bacteria. As the war with Germany continued to drain industrial and government resources, the British scientists could not produce the quantities of penicillin needed for clinical trials on humans and turned to the United States for help. They were quickly referred to the Peoria Lab where scientists were already working on fermentation methods to increase the growth rate of fungal cultures. One July 9, 1941, Howard Florey and Norman Heatley, Oxford University Scientists came to the U.S. with a small but valuable package containing a small amount of penicillin to begin work.

Large
07-12-2006, 05:35 PM
oh yeah...florey was an Aussie...:)

Slingblade
07-12-2006, 05:45 PM
quote:Originally posted by frankenbiker

I thought the chinese and romans had a fairly good claim on road surfacing????

devo
07-12-2006, 06:03 PM
Fuck Large you suprise me. Underneath that aggressive exterior
is a freakin Intellectual Genius just busten to escape.
Either that or it is a really good quote from a fine publication
in your rather eccentric library my dear fellow;)

Large
07-12-2006, 06:45 PM
lol...

I was just pointing out that just like your typical Scot, Fleming was too pissed to realise he'd discovered something groundbreaking...that had to wait untill a fine teetotaller from our city of churches came along :D

BOHEMION
07-12-2006, 07:42 PM
AND!!!!! may the Highlander's thole from the Hielan and Defy the scunner Sassenach gowk's
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/104374816810309.gif

Lockies real!!
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/1043748168178262.jpg

I'll prove it!
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/104374816820543.jpg

Jockney Rebel
07-12-2006, 09:30 PM
quote:Originally posted by Large

lol...

I was just pointing out that just like your typical Scot, Fleming was too pissed to realise he'd discovered something groundbreaking...that had to wait untill a fine teetotaller from our city of churches came along :D
oh and by the way .....the finest whisky in the world .... nice one large

Jockney Rebel
07-12-2006, 09:31 PM
quote:Originally posted by Slingblade

I thought the chinese and romans had a fairly good claim on road surfacing????
yeah but the romans didnt do any of our roads apparently we scared them ..a wee bit

07-12-2006, 09:32 PM
Sure it wasn't just the shite weather?

Jockney Rebel
07-12-2006, 09:44 PM
quote:Originally posted by BOHEMION

AND!!!!! may the Highlander's thole from the Hielan and Defy the scunner Sassenach gowk's,
O' floer of Scotland
When will we see
Yer like again
That fought and died fir
Yer wee heilan hame,
And stood agin him,
Proud Edwards army
And sent them homeward
To think again!
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/104374816810309.gif

Lockies real!!
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/1043748168178262.jpg ,
I'll prove it!aye an nae man ahll tell ye different
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/104374816820543.jpg

Jockney Rebel
07-12-2006, 09:47 PM
youse know where ill be New Years Eve..me nad my brother will be the pissed guys wearin kilts in the middle of Sydney,
all i can say is ,,,thanks fir invitin us oor we think we ll bide a wee while

Jockney Rebel
07-12-2006, 09:53 PM
quote:Originally posted by chalk10

Sure it wasn't just the shite weather?
u could be right there chalkie after all they were just italians after all and it does get a bit blowy ,,your an native of NZ arent u, my brother tells me the landscapes similar tho much more striking

07-12-2006, 10:02 PM
I'm from up North, nothing like the South at all.

Much warmer weather (I'd never lived anywhere that saw 0 degrees till I came to Aus), wet, but not that overcast all the time. A very lush part of the world with mild weather. Does rain a fucking lot though. My wet weather skills are nothing like when I first came over unfortunately, I used to enjoy lighting it up and playing in the wet, plus you can't go more than 30 K's without coming across a clean swimmable river or lake, very nice in Summer, along with white water rafting.

Large
07-12-2006, 10:14 PM
not to mention the flocks of "girlfriends" in every field eh chalky?

07-12-2006, 10:17 PM
I come from mainly dairying country, most of the sheep are down south, where the Scots emigrated to funnily enough :D

Jockney Rebel
07-12-2006, 10:31 PM

I come from mainly dairying country, most of the sheep are down south, where the Scots emigrated to funnily enough :D
better get mah wellies own then.......seriuosly tho my bruvs only been in poka..pomak..[feck it] near Auckland for three weeks hes on a 2yr contract there .unfortunatly hes into Hugely Dissapointing bikes but he was looking for some good places to visit/fish etc

07-12-2006, 10:56 PM
Fishing is down Rotorua/Taupo way, the Queen Mother used to go Trout fishing around there. Some good tourist spots down that way too.
Hamilton is where I come from, about 80 k's south from where he is.
They drive slow in NZ, so he'll be able to keep up on the Humpty Dumpty :D

Jockney Rebel
07-12-2006, 11:30 PM

Fishing is down Rotorua/Taupo way, the Queen Mother used to go Trout fishing around there. Some good tourist spots down that way too.
Hamilton is where I come from, about 80 k's south from where he is.
They drive slow in NZ, so he'll be able to keep up on the Humpty Dumpty :D
yeah hes a bit of a cruiser me bro i sold him my VFR750 when he passed his test and he sold it to me younger brother 6 months later i ll tell him about the fishing tho i used to work with some Kiwis from Hamilton........ in London in a bike shop...

Jockney Rebel
07-12-2006, 11:33 PM
ta for that tourist guidy bit chalkie

BOHEMION
07-12-2006, 11:36 PM

O' floer of Scotland
When will we see
Yer like again
That fought and died fir
Yer wee heilan hame,
And stood agin him,
Proud Edwards army
And sent them homeward
To think again!

The hills are bare now
And autumn leaves lie thick and still
O'er land that is lost now
Which those so dearly held
And stood against him
Proud Edward's army
And sent him homeward
Tae think again

[V] :):):):):):):D

Jockney Rebel
08-12-2006, 09:13 PM
nice wan big yin ,guawn yersel,wan singer wan song

BOHEMION
08-12-2006, 10:15 PM
it was weird today ended up singing it with the courier driver at work while unpacking the flatbed, made us work quicker actually

Jockney Rebel
08-12-2006, 11:36 PM
nuts.......I nearly got arrested for that at the last England /Scotland game at Wembley..or maybe it was the moonie i dunno.. wheres your lot from then ?

09-12-2006, 09:30 AM
I was watching this comedy thing last night with that short fat loud tit out of Seifeld on it, and fuck he took the piss out of soccer real well. Said exactly what I felt. One line was about --- you win the game by going 'oi ref he hurt my widdle knee' ---

He's a good bloke.

:D

Jockney Rebel
09-12-2006, 10:28 AM
ere we go....
im not gonna start on about FOOTBALL [so called because u use your feet to play it]
and ur right of course the games gone tits up since the 80's
christ.. George Best used to smoke, get ratarsed and still score a hattrick the next day ... these days the players depend on "tactical fouls" too much
i really felt for the aussies in the world cup they played like lions ,,just shows u tho the big sides get the big decisions. nuff said