PDA

View Full Version : tyres

damo1
05-06-2007, 08:58 PM
Heres a question somebody must be able to shed some light on.

Why are car tyres so much cheaper than bike tyres[?]

And ive heard that is the quantity that are`sold that makes them cheaper but how many michy pilot powers do you reacon get sold all around the world.:D

There price hasnt come down:([xx(]

gibbo
05-06-2007, 09:06 PM
Bike parts in general seem to be dearer than car parts $1700 for a new front fairing for a cbr 600[:0] $310 for a side panel for a fucking Hyosung 250[xx(]. I can buy a lot of car for that price. Was talking to a dealer a while back and he said that bikers were conditioned to pay more[B)] so the manufacturers and dealers charge more[}:)]

fimpBIKES
05-06-2007, 09:25 PM
have u checked the price of high-performance car tyres?

Hillsy
05-06-2007, 09:32 PM
Like Gibbo said, we are conditioned to pay more. Also (with spares) bikes get damaged easier than cars and this is how the manufacturers make their REAL money....

WATEVR
05-06-2007, 10:30 PM
fimps point is the spot on. dont try to compare pilot's, 208 etc to your average car tyre have a look at the high end sports car rubber and youll find they are even more exspensive.
as for the parts i agree the replacement costs are out of this world( $1350) for a zx7r tank?? but as hillsy said this is there area for cream as markups on bike price cant be that much?

zx12argh
05-06-2007, 10:34 PM
I paid $120 a corner to put Yokohamas on my mini - 10" rims on that thing they were tiny tyres. So it all comes down to performance and demand.

Docktor
06-06-2007, 01:36 AM
Bikes and Parts have a FUTA tax on them.

loosebruce
07-06-2007, 07:23 PM
Car tyres, 4X same tyre ,profile, flat on the bottom.
Bike tyres, 2 different tyres , different widths,
profiles matched to same turning radius.
Smaller contact patches require stickier rubber.
EXXXY

dazz
08-06-2007, 09:07 AM
quote:Originally posted by Docktor

Bikes and Parts have a FUTA tax on them.

Ever worked in a bike shop mate?

On a new bike the average sale price is approximately $12000.
Out of that average price the retailer will acheive a $390 margin on average. That is an astronomical 4%......[:0]Thieves

Spare parts in dealer world avereage aroung 20-25% margin until you discount for varying reasons, club riders,loyal customers,sale items, "HOW MUCH FOR CASH?" customers so the retained margin is relatively low.

Most bike shops will pass on the majority of any price advantage to thier customers to try to retain as many of them as possible as there are that many options available now that it does pay to shop around.

I think we need to look at our suppliers and thier margins as the AU dollar is very strong at the moment which should make import items cheaper.

Jockney Rebel
08-06-2007, 06:40 PM
minority -v- majority there are about 4 cars for every bike on the planet
i dunno about bike manufacturers but the car industry sells cars at near cost but the factory makes its money on the spares
[when i was an apprentice at fords factory they used dedicate 2/3rds of the body shop to manufacturing spare parts for the rest of europe] what screws the major car firms is that after a specific time the pattern industry is allowed to copy parts and becuase they dont have the initial development cost they can sell them cheaper

Docktor
08-06-2007, 09:20 PM
FUTA = fucked up the ass. It aint by ya local bike shop, well it is sometimes, I shop real hard before I part with hard earned. Its by our excellent government. Some things ya need...... so they tax em. some things ya like but dont need, smokes , beer,bikes and pilot powers, so they tax the fuck out of em.I am pretty sure the price of michys is why johnny howard sold his fighter

gibbo
16-06-2007, 04:31 PM
Did a quote for a bloke yesterday, 2001 ZX6R, a new right side fairing $890.78 plus decals which takes the price up to $1237.70. All that money for a single panel for fucks sake, and that is just the purchase cost with no mark up or fitting cost. I think mr kawasaki should go fuck himself!!

zedsled
16-06-2007, 05:27 PM
I asked the tyre guys and they recon its because of quality guide lines all motorcycle tyres have to be hand made to meet the standard levels needed, where car tyres are just churned out on machines. he recons thats why you will hear stories of car tyres failing but never bike tyres. Sounds like a bullshit story to justify him raping me for a set of tyres. Anybody else heard this?

Zed

damo1
16-06-2007, 06:55 PM
314$ for a pair of michy pilots at cost.[:0]

What are they from a dealer 550$ a pair or there abouts:(

And they recon theres not much mark up[xx(]Get fucked