PDA

View Full Version : HELP - How to refinish swing arm

Stocky
05-06-2007, 06:30 PM
Got A Hayabusa swing arm that I've cleaned up (it was a bit ratty)

Lobbed off the lift bobbin mounts and the caliper brace mounts etc.

The cast area has been bead blasted as have the welds to get all the grime out.
One side has had something dribbled on it and it seems to have taken a kind of clear coat off.

Now.....

How do I refinish it ?

I'm thinking it's clear anodised or something.

I'd like it to look like it's origional. Just like Suzuki do it.

Or close [:I]

Anyone got any ideas ?

If anyone has a line on how it's done I'd really appreciate a hand.
(I can keep it to myself if it's important)

Thanks in advance guys

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/48329737740560.JPG

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/48329737764576.JPG

TurboKat
05-06-2007, 08:49 PM
Ordinary paint stripper normally takes the factory clearcoat off but if it's anodised, you'll hafta use a caustic soda solution.
Then either polish it or use a quality automotive clear over it.

gibbo
05-06-2007, 08:54 PM
Bit hard to tell in those pics but does look anodised, to get the same finish it would need to be re anodised I think, but it will need the blasted areas polished first?

gibbo
05-06-2007, 08:58 PM
If as Turbo suggests you polish and clear it use POR15 Glisten rather than 2k automotive clear, it's designed to go over bare metals.

chopiesel
05-06-2007, 09:13 PM
suzuki use a silver anodizing type finish, i sanded it off with an random orbital.

damo1
05-06-2007, 09:14 PM
That por15 shit aint as good as they make out it chips then flakes.

Its supposed to be as tough as (hammer tough) but ive heard that its all bull shit.

Buyer beware dont always beleave what it says on the tin.

gibbo
05-06-2007, 09:27 PM
You might be right there Damo, but I put some on Deanos rims a while back and as far as I know it hasn't fallen off yet

Deano
05-06-2007, 09:49 PM
quote:Originally posted by gibbo

You might be right there Damo, but I put some on Deanos rims a while back and as far as I know it hasn't fallen off yet

so far so good.

had some hoops put on the rims 4 days after applying and didnt even look like marking or chipping it.

i am a believer at the moment.

Stocky
05-06-2007, 09:53 PM
It's the silver anodising finish I'm after.

Any ideas ?

catchmeifyoucan
05-06-2007, 10:31 PM
get it stripped and re annodised, i think someone on here mentioned that you can use a type of costic oven cleaner, maybe do a search.. its not cheap though, most places i think charge per surface area, at least the 2 places i called about did... good luck with it mate..

catchmeifyoucan
05-06-2007, 10:33 PM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4044&SearchTerms=oven,cleaner
try this..

Booster
05-06-2007, 11:09 PM
Anyone used one of those home anodising kits,??? see them advertised from time to time.

Docktor
06-06-2007, 01:34 AM
Yep,Coles and places like that sell caustic in granular form, mix it up and be prepared for the fumes tho, do it outside, soak, scour the black film off and keep soaking.Anodising is different to plating..obviously........ in anodising the :job" becomes the anode,it is an etch of the material ,not a plate.Will have to get my books out but anodising solution is mainly sulphuric acid at around 10-12 volts with huge amounts of current.Lead cathodes and can be sealed with water above 60 degrees C.ya can colour the alloy before sealing if you like.Poor quality alloy dont like being anodised and beware of steel.rfemove bearings and the like. Steel WILL cause damage in a anodising bath.

Stocky
06-06-2007, 08:26 AM
Nice info guys ......

Keep it coming ;)