PDA

View Full Version : Work contacts

alfiestorm
28-11-2006, 07:09 PM
I put this the South Australia bit as well.

was wondering if any of you had any contacts in the cable tv industry.
There is optus and telstra and probably shit loads of others i have not heard of but they do not do there own maintanance and upgrades on there cable tv networks and installations into peoples homes they use contract company's to do it for them.
Does anyone know of any of the contract company's and possibly who to contact.
Any help would be most appreciated

It has to be in South Australia as my visas require me to live and work in SA for three years :D

Slingblade
28-11-2006, 09:02 PM
The coax cable network was only rolled out in sydey, melbourne and brissy as far as i am aware, and only in limited areas. Most of the cable network over here is satellite based and the installs include a roof mounted dish.

There are a number of large companys that contract to foxtel(telstra) for pay tv install and maintenance contracts. The main contractor in NSW is Downer Connect. There is also Skilled Engineering, Alstom and a number of others. They come and go as Telstra play them off against one another to keep prices low. Most of these companies just hire sub contractors to do the work on a flat rate job by job basis. So you will need a vehicle, tools, insurances etc and go from there. There are no dedicated Foxtel employed repair crews.

Get used to this in the telco game over here mate. Even telstra telephony work is being put out to contract now (i know as i do it)and the Telstra techs are slowly all being made redundant.

I am not sure who the contractors are in SA. I have contacts in Telstra, so i will make a few enquiries for you and let you know.