PDA

View Full Version : Stage 3 - Oz's Drag Bike Build

ozkat
19-11-2006, 08:47 AM
Ive made a few changes to my GSXR over the last few weeks. Hopefully the times will continue to drop. Only 0.24 sec till im in 9 sec territory. :D Shift light fitted

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/99096092864670.jpg

ozkat
19-11-2006, 08:49 AM
Dyna 2 step fitted

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/99096092863742.jpg

ozkat
19-11-2006, 08:51 AM
New swingarm set up for wheelie bars sort of fitted

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/99096092871918.jpg

ozkat
19-11-2006, 08:52 AM
Electric over air shifter yet to be fitted. :D

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/99096092865126.jpg

crazymofo
19-11-2006, 09:38 AM
looking good dragkat, will all this be on for the shootout??

cheers.joe.

evad
19-11-2006, 11:58 AM
Lots of new toys Oz[:p]. You making me jealous!!!!!

papa smurf
19-11-2006, 02:06 PM
Hey Shayne, that air shifter is exactly the same as my new one.
Only thing missing is a button, but you can use your horn button.
Sing out when you want to fit it & i'll give you a hand.
The rest looks like it's coming along nicely too, just hurry up with it so you can finish my bloody bodywork ;)

devo
19-11-2006, 08:33 PM
Hey Shayno I love your Lipstick holder on the tripple clamp there
lovey [:X]

ozkat
19-11-2006, 08:35 PM
quote:Originally posted by devo

Hey Shayno I love your Lipstick holder on the tripple clamp there
lovey [:X]
Allways gotta look my best Devo, you never know when the cameras will be out. [:X]

devo
19-11-2006, 08:37 PM
LOL :D:D:D

ozkat
19-11-2006, 08:47 PM
Actually it was quiet funny when i first raced with the shift light. Id been racing the past few months by sound/rev limiter only (someone asked me what revs im changing at once and i replied "fucked if i know ive got my eyes closed" ) My shift light is bright orange, i mean really REALLY BRIGHT ORANGE The first time it came on at night i nearly shat my leathers cause i thought i had a major blowup, all i can remember is this bloody bright orange flash, i nearly fell off the bloody bike. :D

devo
19-11-2006, 09:22 PM
Ya see now you know why Lebs squint:D

Large
19-11-2006, 09:48 PM
fucking lol!

crazymofo
20-11-2006, 05:48 PM
quote:Originally posted by devo

Ya see now you know why Lebs squint:D

ROFL!!

that was good!

cheers.joe.

megareg
20-11-2006, 08:54 PM
I suppose those Lebs have buck teeth too!

Umm.. tech question here.. "why air over electric.... why not just use electric only????"

papa smurf
21-11-2006, 10:01 AM
Electric over air is used cos the air ram seen in the picture connects to the gear lever
& actually punches the bike into the next gear aided by the shift kill.
Electric only just kills the ignition & you still have to foot change.
Once you launch the bike off the line all you do to change gears is push a button, in shayne's case probably the horn button, so watch out for the finger ;)
COOL EH?[8D]

megareg
21-11-2006, 10:32 AM
Thanks for that, I was thinking about doing an electric only for my Kat, 'hit button, kill ignition, solenoid changes gear and ignition back on again'... I just can't see the need for the air tank that way, also, if a proportional amount of movement is needed (take up slack or preload slightly), it is easy to do via electric only... just need to program microcontroller a bit...
Hopefully, I will be running my Kat at Willobank on the 23rd so maybe I can discuss at more length..

Cheers

Gix11
21-11-2006, 10:53 AM
Promise me that if you use Shayne's horn button for shifting you keep the actual horn connected as well. That would make for great viewing and audio all in one.

abusa
21-11-2006, 12:47 PM
Full Electric Shifters are available, Electric Over Air is deemd to be more reliable with high horsepower applications and draws less current away from the Ignition.

http://www.pingelonline.com/shifter_demos.htm

http://www.holeshot.com/

There is a move these days away from Electric over Air to CO2 over Air as the CO2 maintains pressure for longer and there is less maintenance, about 400 shifts per bottle. Electric Over Air is more convenient as you only require a Electric Air Pump.

The rod that you see on the Quick Shifters by Power Commander is actually a Linear Sensor and just tells the Power Commander when to kill the motor.

Shayne

Matt
21-11-2006, 01:12 PM
quote:Originally posted by Gix11

Promise me that if you use Shayne's horn button for shifting you keep the actual horn connected as well. That would make for great viewing and audio all in one.

LOL :D:D

That would be good to watch...

papa smurf
21-11-2006, 03:15 PM
Hey Megareg, look us up on the 23rd, be good to meet ya.
Si, that sounds like a top idea,LMFAO, i'll do it while he's not looking &
make sure we video his first run:D:D:D

Gix11
21-11-2006, 04:09 PM
See if you can find one of those Dukes of Hazzard's "General Lee" air horns as well.

abusa
21-11-2006, 06:23 PM
And maybe a paint job to go with it!!

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/256688899112428.jpg

Shayne

megareg
21-11-2006, 09:06 PM
Ok, thanks Papa Smurf, I already know a few, Lucky, Crazymofo, Bohemian.... I have a few ideas I want to do, so, I need a benchmark, I already have a Dyno printout (91hp, 67ft/lb... yeah, I know...it aint much...) Just have to get time to do all the stuff I want to.

<note to self> "must tell better half that I AM going to Willowbank on the 23rd... not shopping!"

Cheers
Reg.

papa smurf
22-11-2006, 08:30 AM
Reg, i can't state strongly enough that the amount of HP you've got means jack shit in mod bike.
EG; Oz's bike is punching out at least 30hp more than mine, yet he can't get near me. Why?
Because It's all about how you put it to the ground & setup.
IT IS all about track time, you can build the biggest baddest engine there is but if you can't
or don't know how to ride it, it's useless.
I am not having a go at you, just stating a well proven time tested fact.
Rick

megareg
22-11-2006, 01:51 PM
I hear you Rick, I was at Willowbank in August and saw a few of the Kats running (and very well presented they were too), I was surprised by how slow they were ( I did notice a GSX doing 11.2 though!), I was doing 11.7 24 years ago and that was bog stock off showroom floor... When I was doing those times, I realised that there would be a bit of time saved with quick shifting, (3 tenths a shift normally), now, I have lots more knowledge and would like to make a quickshift setup which includes ignition kill etc, I don't want to buy that technology because I can do it myself, although it would be easy that way and I can afford it.. The other thing is that I do like the grunt of my Kat, I don't want to work it too much as there are trade-offs, I want to keep the "ease of use" thus, there will only be mild working of my motor, not wild.... One quick thing I could do is to reverse the action of the gear lever i.e. 1 up, 4 down, it is easier to toe the lever down than up.... also because i'm having trouble getting foot under gear lever to change up when i'm going around corners!! modern tyres are great!
Hmmmm, I think I might have hi-jacked this thread a bit.... sorry, I shall give myself a thousand lashes with a wet bus ticket

Looking forward to the 23rd
Cheers.
Reg.

papa smurf
27-11-2006, 06:35 PM
Hey Shayne,
Where are the updated piccies?
I thought after all the work we did on it yesterday you'd be bustin a gut to get them up. :D:D
It is getting there though, & Saturday will tell the tale.
I'm really going to have to pull my finger out now though,
can't have you going quicker than me now can we ;)

ozkat
01-12-2006, 04:52 PM
Stage 3 is now finished

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/100555804778262.jpg

ozkat
01-12-2006, 04:54 PM
a few things added lately, thanks to papa smurf

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/100555804760126.jpg

ozkat
01-12-2006, 04:55 PM
Hopefully now traction now wont be a problem, i just dont wanna start busting stuff [xx(]

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/100555804765902.jpg

Large
01-12-2006, 05:35 PM
Looking serious now oz

devo
01-12-2006, 05:57 PM
Looks fuggin greta Mate.;)

papa smurf
01-12-2006, 09:12 PM
quote:Originally posted by ozkat

Hopefully now traction now wont be a problem, i just dont wanna start busting stuff [xx(]

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/100555804765902.jpg

Keep the credit card handy Shayne, breakages are on there way ;)

Slingblade
01-12-2006, 10:36 PM
Gotta hand it to you mate. That is a beast. Looks way too fast for me.

Just out of curiosity, did the pro pipe make a big difference to performance ?

abusa
01-12-2006, 11:01 PM
Great work guys. Looks like I am in trouble tomorrow!

Shayne

ozkat
01-12-2006, 11:11 PM
quote:Originally posted by Slingblade

Gotta hand it to you mate. That is a beast. Looks way too fast for me.

Just out of curiosity, did the pro pipe make a big difference to performance ?
had it dynoed with a yoshi duplex system and got 147.7hp/86.0ft-lbs torque then dynoed a few weeks later with the V&H sidewinder (and that was the only change) and got 156.6hp/99.1ft-lbs torque. Recently had it dynoed after rejetting and dynotune and produced 165.6hp/119.7ft-lbs torque. Thats with rejetted standard 40mm carbs and airbox! Will change cams soon and fit 41FCRs and dump airbox, should produce around 180hp.

Slingblade
01-12-2006, 11:32 PM
Great gains from the pipe. especially the torque increase . money well spent.

Sounds like going to the drags will be the most expensive decision you ever made!

Must be fun though!

ozkat
01-12-2006, 11:54 PM
Hey Slinga, if you get the chance to run your bike down the strip...DO IT! I garenntee you wont regret it. Get out to WSID on a Friday nite with a few of the blokes from here and you will have a ball. As for getting expensive, im building a new dragbike and will proberly owe me around 10-15k but if you wanna go quick it costs. And belive me 10-15k is a real low budjet. Streetbike meets are really the best fun you can have.
Cheers Ozkat

alfiestorm
02-12-2006, 08:01 AM
I love drag racing my bike is kicking out 168bhp at the back wheel so it should be good for a laugh if nothing else.
It's not set up for seriouse drag racing but it should be good in the street class, is there much in the way of drag racing or a drag racing track in south australia where i can hone my drag racing skills and generally piss about and have a laugh.

Almost forgot like what you done with the bike ozkat and happy draggin

02-12-2006, 01:27 PM
quote:Originally posted by papa smurf

Reg, i can't state strongly enough that the amount of HP you've got means jack shit in mod bike.
EG; Oz's bike is punching out at least 30hp more than mine, yet he can't get near me. Why?

Have you compared Torque curves, then compared them to gearing/weight ratio's?

It was the massive Torque curve on the GSX1150 that ate everything else on or off the drag strip for over 10 years.

papa smurf
03-12-2006, 09:05 AM
quote:Originally posted by chalk10

quote:Originally posted by papa smurf

Have you compared Torque curves, then compared them to gearing/weight ratio's?

It was the massive Torque curve on the GSX1150 that ate everything else on or off the drag strip for over 10 years.

No need Chalky, I'm just quicker than Shayne, that's how it is ;)
On a more serious note, Shayne did REALLY well at his first meeting with the bars on.
The first pass was VERY entertaining, but he can tell you about that,:D
anyhow, once he cleaned the mess out of his pants he just kept getting quicker.
I'm really going to have to pull something out of the bag to stay quicker than him once he really gets a handle on it.[}:)]
Might have to get that giggle juice a bit sooner. [:p]

ozkat
03-12-2006, 05:11 PM
HOLY BLOODY HELL!! i really wasnt expecting what happened when i launched the first time. Just coming out of the water during the burnout nearly dislocated my shoulders. Then in the right hand lane 6500rpm on the 2 step and dump the clutch, just hooked up, no wheelspin at all. Slammed me back into the bumpad so hard i actually slid up over the top and ended up sitting on the seat hump.The only thing i didnt check was the bolts holding the wheeliebar wheels on, and yes one fell out. which caused the bike to do a 45deg left hand turn still with the front wheel in the air. Caught it just before i entered the left lane, straightend up, power on, same thing happened again. Heading for the left lane again, caught it straighten it up, power on again. And finally went straight. Things went a little better for the rest of qualifying and actually made the 11.99 cutoff. In the first round of racing i stalled it on the line FUCK!!!!! The other bloke pulled a red light so i won, how fuckin lucky was that. So after 18 starters im in the top 9. Next round of racing i got beaten by 0.320 by the same bloke who i tried to race in his lane in qualifying. Had great fun but must remember to take exta undies next time. Big thanks to Rick for doing most of the work to my bike on the night. I think he has some great pics of other bikes and some video footage of my first run.

ozkat
03-12-2006, 09:12 PM
Oh yeah another thing, changing gears by pressing the horn button isnt that simple after changing gear by foot for 30+ years. [xx(]