PDA

View Full Version : Burnouts

leathalbusa
31-05-2007, 02:24 PM
Ok the Age old question? How long would want to be in the burn out box for? to get the proper heat in the tire? short and quick? a dry launch? or keep'em smoking til the steward waves you up???

Booster
31-05-2007, 02:42 PM
Depends on the day temp ,track temp,did it spin up last pass

I pick 2nd gear and hold it at 140kph for ~3 secs on my roadbike
3rd gear & 180kph 3-5 secs on the racebike, you can also lean the bike side to side and heat the tire without wearing out the middle

Everyone will have a different method , best is what works for you.

leathalbusa
31-05-2007, 03:08 PM
Yeah I know everybody will have a different view.

Want to know what everbody dose?

there is always that point between a stickey tyre and a melted tread spitter.

Booster
31-05-2007, 07:11 PM
Yep, i over cooked a tire because a magazine photographer was taking pics a while ago, i put on a good show:D ....then nearly lost the bike on the startline as the tire surface must have been liquid[:I]

cutcat
31-05-2007, 08:21 PM
I am no expert at drags but I find a dry tyre best for me. I've had big bores with short wheelbases and found the guages hitting me in the face with a hot sticky rear.(tyre that is):D

cutcat
31-05-2007, 08:25 PM
quote:Originally posted by Booster

Yep, i over cooked a tire because a magazine photographer was taking pics a while ago, i put on a good show:D ....then nearly lost the bike on the startline as the tire surface must have been liquid[:I]

Yep if there's a camera on you, all strategy goes out the window! It is compulsory to put on a good show.;)

leathalbusa
01-06-2007, 04:05 PM
Yeah I know we have an event photo person there and I just have to do a show. but now I take it more seriously in eliminations rounds. The same has happened to me. leaving the lights in A full tokoyo drift fully crossed up. almost a spectacluar high side. but managed to save it. had to change the leathers though.

munchr
05-06-2007, 08:15 PM
I always go around the water & only do a tiny burnout to clean the tyre when seriously racing. The thing most people don't realise is when using the watered area it sprays water up under the seat/cowl area. Then when staging some of this drips down onto the top of the tyre & can result in slippery starts.

I must agree about the photographer thrownig burnout rules away too. I've also been known to hang some large top gear smokeshows at country 1/8th mile meetings.....including one 2 min in top gear tye popping escapade at Ballarat one year. I also won a cash prize for best burnout of the day which is also open to cars.

ozzy1100
06-06-2007, 05:02 PM
im no expert but i allways roll around the water and dont do a burnout. most street tyres need the presure dropped 2 under 32 or even 30 so
when you get them hot you dont add 2 much presure, some times that is why you get wheel spin not that your tyre is 2 hot but your
at 40 psi...... if you not getting wheel spin of the line why heat the tyre but then again i never had over 100 rwhp and some of
you got over 170 rwhp .. my 60 foots used 2 be in the 1.80s

Booster
06-06-2007, 10:51 PM
Good point about the water, i ride around and wait in front of the water till tracks clear then back into the damp edge but not water , once its spinning well and pulling a bit i ride it out rolling the throttle off till it bites .