PDA

View Full Version : Big Bore Twins or Other bikes now?

zx12argh
30-05-2007, 12:35 PM
Hey guys - I've just been put on at my work full time so I am looking at getting a 2nd bike so I can pull the 12r off the road for a proper build up.

I reckon the TL1000R is a pretty tasty ride and is at the top of my list but looking for the opinions of owners. I'm open to the idea other big bore twins (NO HARDLEYS HERE THO!!!) such as SV1000.

Going test riding this weekend if the weather holds so looking for your opinions suggestions. What are these sort of bikes like to live with?

EDIT - I should mention the bike is going to see a fair bit of commuter work and the occasional track day - I wanna learn how to go round corners proper like.[8D] Also $15k on road is probably the extent of my budget.

chopiesel
30-05-2007, 12:49 PM
tl1000r there is no other twin

zx12argh
30-05-2007, 01:07 PM
Thanks chop and it is top of my list right now but was hoping you could be a little more constructive - [:p]

Hillsy
30-05-2007, 01:13 PM
Everything I've read about the Aprilias say they're pretty good (I've never ridden one though). Might be worth a look at a Tuono if the budget stretches that far??

zx12argh
30-05-2007, 01:31 PM
Hmmm Apilia, hadn't consider that...

Theres an 03 model low k's in my price range

http://www.bikepoint.com.au/DesktopDefault.aspx?UsedBikeID=2563131&TabID=3424&Alias=bikepointau

chopiesel
30-05-2007, 01:51 PM
ithought i already told you to get a tlr

zx12argh
30-05-2007, 01:56 PM
hmmm just found out a Aprilia is hideously expensive to get workshop serviced... yeah no.

Hillsy
30-05-2007, 02:01 PM
quote:Originally posted by zx12argh

hmmm just found out a Aprilia is hideously expensive to get workshop serviced... yeah no.

Buy a friggin manual and do it yourself. How hard can it be??

jakam04
30-05-2007, 02:03 PM
Can buy a brand new SV1000 with that $15000... (i think lol)

Jarrod

WATEVR
30-05-2007, 02:25 PM
sv's are a nice bike and would be a good all rounder but the tlr is more hard edge and would suit track days more so as would an SP1/2. tl's and sp's have really retained value so the other option is to get an sv or even vtr and throw some cash into suspension work etc.

happy bike hunting!!!

Cruisecontrol
30-05-2007, 04:10 PM
+1 Watevr

The SP1 would be my pick of the twins for track days and commuting. The TLs rear shock has always been a bit of a stumbling block but the Honda is good to go as is.

catchmeifyoucan
30-05-2007, 06:13 PM
tlr for sure..

zx12argh
30-05-2007, 06:34 PM
After reading all this and doing research the one thing I'm getting is less sure of is what bike to buy... I'm even beginning to think out side the V-Twin box and considering a Z750 or z1000 KTM 640SM or KTM Duke or Super Duke.

Fuck me next I'll be considering a GSXR... No rush I cant get it until I have enough payslips at my full time pay so thats a month from this weekend.

I figure I'll open this up a bit more... What would you choose as the ultimate commuter with possibility track days - I'm not looking for a ball tearing power house - I got the 12r for that. But I want something nimble, I can pillion, got enough grunt to get me into trouble but not so much that its going to flick me into the weeds at a moments loss of concentration... For that I reckon I would look past the likes of the SP1/2.

Yella
30-05-2007, 06:58 PM
I would be looking at the VTR Firestorm great commuter heaps of fun at track days and general hooning and in the right price range but thats just me

suxukifreak
30-05-2007, 07:04 PM
Cagiva X Raptor maybe?......

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/512088364137681.jpg

Balakov
30-05-2007, 07:06 PM
The Aprillia RSV had a shitload of good shit on the stock bike........brembo brakes, ohlins suspension, lightweight wheels etc etc. Would be good to have a second look at it if you like a twin.

Anything other than a Suzuki or MV is hard to go past in my opinion though:)

TurboKat
30-05-2007, 07:52 PM

But I want something nimble, I can pillion, got enough grunt to get me into trouble but not so much that its going to flick me into the weeds at a moments loss of concentration...

I got 3 words for ya... SUPERMOTARD. [:o)]
Any 600+cc single with some 17s & sticky rubber will do everything you need & then some. [:p]
See if you can get a testride on a Husaberg FS 650, that's all it will take to get you hook, line & sinker. ;)

suxukifreak
30-05-2007, 08:03 PM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/51208841747371.jpg

TurboKat
30-05-2007, 08:06 PM
Or of course, there's the Aprilia SXV 550 to consider! :D
That should be a weapon... anybody rid one?

Cruisecontrol
30-05-2007, 08:14 PM
quote:Originally posted by turbokat

I got 3 words for ya... SUPERMOTARD. [:o)]
Any 600+cc single with some 17s & sticky rubber will do everything you need & then some. [:p]
See if you can get a testride on a Husaberg FS 650, that's all it will take to get you hook, line & sinker. ;)

But I want something nimble, I can pillion, got enough grunt to get me into trouble but not so much that its going to flick me into the weeds at a moments loss of concentration...

Can't see someone perched on the back of one of those things...:D

BANDITROD
30-05-2007, 08:21 PM
go the cagiva they have got tl motors anyway i think plus they look horn:D

cutcat
30-05-2007, 08:57 PM
Hi guys, great thread. Here is my exprience you can chew over. With Supermotards, steer clear of European bikes. I used to race a Husqvarna(made by Ducati) single TC610 four-stroke and destroyed 2 motors. My friend was sponsored by Husaburg, he had 3 four-stroke bikes and the factory could not keep him in motors. He quit the team due to sheer frustration. We both raced on dirt. Put sticky street rubber under them and the odd pillion, you are asking for trouble.;)
My guess is European road bikes would be made with similar engineering principles. ie good while they are new, but????????[?]
I am not a fan of the TLR. It is the only twin i have ridden so I figure I just don't like twins now. But I found the TLR gutless and slow and boring as it didn't have a power hit. Compared to my GSXR1100L(10 years older!)it was left wanting in the power and handling departments.
There is a question-mark about the TLR gearboxes also. Ask FIEND.....try 3 blown boxes!!!!
And.....like me, they are ugly naked.:D

crazymofo
30-05-2007, 09:06 PM
sv1000.

aroun 15k NEW, excellent pillion bike, 120hp engine (tl had 130), suspension isnt that bad standard on the THOU'S, and has some degree of adjustabilty, its piss easy to upgrade suspension, gixxer fronts slot in and gixxer shocks fit the rear.

all the tl go fast bits can be fitted to the sv donk too. id personally go for the S model

the TLR is a great bike too (i want one LOL) but the rotary dampner is shit, budget for rear shock conversion, and check the headset bearing when looking at a used one ;)

cheers.joe.

NakedTurboBusa
30-05-2007, 09:15 PM
Hey, I have not owned any of your said bikes, ridden a few here and there..... maybe you need to learn to ride again, or wait until machines catch up to your far superior methods of operating them..... eg. of course most big jap/euro v-twins will go like pigs if your ride them like a big old inline 4 or a fullbore single......
.... knowledge of how a torque curve affects a machine should help...

hehehehehehehehehehe

pete

quote:Originally posted by cutcat

Hi guys, great thread. Here is my exprience you can chew over. With Supermotards, steer clear of European bikes. I used to race a Husqvarna(made by Ducati) single TC610 four-stroke and destroyed 2 motors. My friend was sponsored by Husaburg, he had 3 four-stroke bikes and the factory could not keep him in motors. He quit the team due to sheer frustration. We both raced on dirt. Put sticky street rubber under them and the odd pillion, you are asking for trouble.;)
My guess is European road bikes would be made with similar engineering principles. ie good while they are new, but????????[?]
I am not a fan of the TLR. It is the only twin i have ridden so I figure I just don't like twins now. But I found the TLR gutless and slow and boring as it didn't have a power hit. Compared to my GSXR1100L(10 years older!)it was left wanting in the power and handling departments.
There is a question-mark about the TLR gearboxes also. Ask FIEND.....try 3 blown boxes!!!!
And.....like me, they are ugly naked.:D

cutcat
30-05-2007, 09:25 PM
Hey NAKED if I'm riding it "like an old inline four or a supedup single" then I will be right in the middle of the twins torque-curve!!
DUHH!!

NakedTurboBusa
30-05-2007, 09:47 PM
Sorry mate, was a piss take...... My only point was that if you hold the handle open on those things and they go real fast and sometimes blow up... do that on some big twins and all you get is a rev limiter.....and not much else...

no offence...

pete

cutcat
30-05-2007, 09:59 PM
come on Pete, don't back-off. There hasn't been a good barny on here for a while.

zx12argh
30-05-2007, 10:02 PM
I'm pretty used to riding around a torque curve.. the 12r goes something like this... open the throttle and engage the clutch.. give it stick to get over the lack of low down grunt now as revs hit 2500 quickly back of otherwise you'll end up wheeling and flipping it down the road. revs get up over 4500 get back on the throttle and away you go... makes accelerating out of low speed corners... interesting. When I finally get it on the dyno for a remap the power curve will look like an "M"

I want a bike that needs no brain power but still gets along alright.... I'm starting to lean towards a sv1000s with a few suspension mods thrown at it...

crazymofo
30-05-2007, 10:16 PM
the bueaty of 90* twins, is you can row 2 gears all mountain range, and have effortless acceleration, but like ntb said... revving the tits off them dosnt help much, ride the midrange, twins right down low arent much chop imo either, however, from 2500->7500rpm on the sv1000 is fucking fun!! they tend to run out of puff in the top end. the aprillia's 72deg twin is more of a rev happy thing.

i got to ride a sv1000 and a aprillia rsv mille back to back, the sv is far more punchier, but the aprillia had far more top end stomp!!

from memory i took a sv thou out to $2.45, so can punt along alright.

cheers.joe.

Slingblade
30-05-2007, 11:51 PM
Arguing about v-twins vs. inline fours is like bringing up politics or religion.

Both have pros and cons, but in the end you are either a twin guy or a four guy. You can toy with both but only one will make you really happy.

If you want a twin to commute and double on. Go a SV or Firestorm.
I have a TLS now and its a grouchy, moody big bastard down low, so that after an hour in traffic your pillion would have a good case of whiplash and want to slit your throat.

The upside of TL's?? Run it to redline in the first four gears and you will have a knob so hard a cat couldnt scratch it.

PS Mofo is right. The SV is a bit wheezy up top but great fun in the mid range. Its the result of a re(de)tune for the SV model range. The TL's have a killer top end(for a twin).

alfiestorm
31-05-2007, 03:28 AM
or you could go find a gsxr1100 L to N usd model's freshen the suspension and away you go. The money you save can stay in the bank or buy lots of beer.
Failing any of the above get your self an SV as a work horse to have fun on

megareg
31-05-2007, 06:43 AM

I'm pretty used to riding around a torque curve.. the 12r goes something like this... open the throttle and engage the clutch.. give it stick to get over the lack of low down grunt now as revs hit 2500 quickly back of otherwise you'll end up wheeling and flipping it down the road. revs get up over 4500 get back on the throttle and away you go... makes accelerating out of low speed corners... interesting. When I finally get it on the dyno for a remap the power curve will look like an "M"

I want a bike that needs no brain power but still gets along alright.... I'm starting to lean towards a sv1000s with a few suspension mods thrown at it...

Of course you could always go to something "older" that didn't look like the same as every bike around be it a v twin or inline four, the new ones all look the same to me... exceptions on this forum of course... Nothing wrong with an 1100 Katana.. may not be as fast as modern bikes, may not handle as well but it does not take too much to make it go better... also, in the hands of a good rider, will keep some of the new bikes honest.... look.. there is one here!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/suzuki-katana-1100-gsx-1982-classic-road-bike_W0QQitemZ230135600368QQihZ013QQcategoryZ35232 QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Throw $4000 at the motor 'n' stuff and you have a bloody good ride...
But then I'm biased ..:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
Actually, why not just get a ride that will give a lot of fun at legal speeds, you already have the rocket, it is one of the reasons I do like my Kat, easy to ride, reliable, a bit unique, go-fast bits are well sorted, can still get new parts... and if somebody on the latest "crotch rocket" whips your arse on the road... you can always use the excuse that it's 25 years old...

Cheers

WATEVR
31-05-2007, 08:20 AM
vtr1000's are $12500 ish ride away at the mo?

zx12argh
31-05-2007, 09:16 AM
For any other purpose I'd go old school - I think some of the best bikes came out of the 80's and 90's but I also don't want something with high k's or something thats another project - at this stage anyway ;) - my mates are already having a go at me, they reckon anything I buy I'll end of ripping bits off. I'm going to check out a couple of dealers today, tomorrow and saturday. Get a feel for some different bikes.

and cutcat - I'm a lover not a fighter... come close enough and I'll be humping your leg [:p]

cutcat
31-05-2007, 01:13 PM
As long as its only my leg!!:D:D:D

zx12argh
31-05-2007, 03:37 PM
I feel dirty - sales rep conned me into riding a CB1300... a bloody Honda. It was the most sensible bike I have ever ridden... Very boring... So thats a big no on that one. I think to find a bike I'll be happy with it'll have to be completely different to the 12r... So either small nimble bike i.e. Z750 or a motard... Motard doesn't really go well in the pillion stakes tho - neither does the Z750 when I think about it.

I still haven't tried a Super Duke yet...

suxukifreak
31-05-2007, 03:52 PM
If you want LOW down torque you cant go past the 1400, no need to go over 6 grand all day.....

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/72102684491637.jpg

as compared to the TL1000S....

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/7210268447400.gif

cutcat
31-05-2007, 04:14 PM

I feel dirty - sales rep conned me into riding a CB1300... a bloody Honda. It was the most sensible bike I have ever ridden... Very boring... So thats a big no on that one. I think to find a bike I'll be happy with it'll have to be completely different to the 12r... So either small nimble bike i.e. Z750 or a motard... Motard doesn't really go well in the pillion stakes tho - neither does the Z750 when I think about it.

I still haven't tried a Super Duke yet...

Hey 12, tell us more about the CB1300. The all black ones are a great looking bike, and they are as cheap as chips. I nearly bought one until I did a Google search on them and found they chew 2 gear regularly.[xx(][xx(]

zx12argh
31-05-2007, 04:23 PM
It had heaps of smooth grunt on tap - low rev limit tho red line at 9k. Managed to pop a wheelie on the test ride pretty easy. But saying that it just felt bland - I've had more fun on a Z750 flicking through gears and tossing it round the bends.

The CB1300 just felt heavy and slow (it has plenty of straight line speed) riding position was very upright and there is a huge jump in ratios between 1st and 2nd - I compression locked the rear dropping it down to first. It had a stock can on it and I couldn't hear it at all... I'm used to the straight through pipes on the 12r tho but still this was very quiet. And to top it all off it just looked gay - It was white with red stickers... Just not a good look in my opinion. Cheap tho - $8000 and it ran sweet with 32k on the clock.

cutcat
31-05-2007, 08:00 PM
Thanks man...good call.;)

cutcat
31-05-2007, 08:08 PM
Hey 12 I know what you mean about the 750. When I went from the gsxr1100 to the ZX7R I thought I was going to hate it big-time. I had even bought a turbo for it before I had ridden it. But the end result was the opposite. I found it way fun. Heaps of revs to play with, keeping it on song through the twisties, silky smooth motor, enough grunt, and a meaty power-band to get the front wheel up. Fun stuff.:)[:p]:D

zx12argh
31-05-2007, 09:01 PM
Yeah cutcat. Its a funny old thing jumping onto a smaller capacity bike sometimes - I used to get a Z750 with a yoshi as a loaner bike. This bike had a wicked note and you'd be knocking it up and down gears all the time through the curves. I take the 12r up the mountains - I put it in 2nd and then ride the bike like an auto... its just got lazy amounts of power. I reckon working a z750 will be a lot more fun in that sort of situation.

Maybe I'm going about this whole thing the wrong way around.

speeddemon
31-05-2007, 10:46 PM
twins[xx(][xx(][xx(]

singles:D:D
triples:D:D:D
oiled cooled 4s:D:D:D:D

why use two when 1 is fun, 3 is for me, 4 it revs some more.

fimpBIKES
01-06-2007, 08:07 AM
there is a proper TLS (the 97 model) in at suzuki of newcastle going for 7 grand i think
BARGAIN

want me to test ride her for ya???

Benz
01-06-2007, 09:47 AM
What about a trumpy triple 675, they cost about 15k, won bike of the year, would make a great commuter cause it's small and nimble , and so would make a great track day bike...:)
Three pots, some bottom end, lots of mid range, and a half decent top end, plus the latest model looks great in my opinion.[8D]
Might be a bit underpowered for somebody used to a Big K 12r though...

Slingblade
01-06-2007, 03:38 PM
You can have a ride on my 97 if ya want fimpster. Fitting tre this weekend.

zx12argh
01-06-2007, 03:54 PM
Hey benz - thats on my list of bikes to try - heard good things about them - Not going for something with all out power - like I said thats what the 12r is for.

I just took a current model Z750 for a test ride - nimble quick turning fun tho that exhaust - a little gay. The engine is a bit vibey - felt like I was getting pins and needles in my legs gripping the tank - I'm going to try out the z1000 hopefully thats a different story - again gay exhausts but I think it would be happier on the track then the z750. The Z750 does wicked stoppies tho ;) but you didn't hear me say that...

hate to say it guys but I've all but ruled out getting a TLR... they are a bit too grumpy for daily commuting through heavy traffic and I reckon the clip ons would be murder - I'm almost tempted to go back on what I was saying about getting a repairable write off and having a 2nd fighter. A brand new bike is so very tempting tho...

speeddemon
01-06-2007, 09:46 PM
I hope you know the 750 is actually a quicker bike than the shit 1000 (at least under 200) and the bits on the thou suck (just look at what they did to the forks[xx(]). Now considering the 636 forks and shock r bolt ons:D

I like the 675 trumpy:D

hawksy
02-06-2007, 12:04 AM
tlrs are a cool bike , the question is do you like torque or inline 4 top end power delivery ? have ridden quite a few tlrs's and tls I found the power delivery was very delivered mid range to high and quite frankly f*&k all down low, have owned a tricked up firestorm befor (full microns system remap etc ) and I loved the instant torque of the thing ,pulls hard at real low revs for very quick snap launches , well thats my view anyway . have fun test ridin

madmaxman1986
02-06-2007, 03:22 AM
how about a Ducat...wait...I'm gonna get my ARSE kicked.[xx(]
Never mind, I didn't say anything!!!

KRASH
02-06-2007, 07:43 AM
The '07' Super Duke twin has come down to 15 gorillas for a new one[8D]

Cruisecontrol
02-06-2007, 08:35 AM
quote:Originally posted by Benz

What about a trumpy triple 675,

Those things are tiny. I took one for a spin and had to fold myself up like a pretzel to fit on and they had the lowest set of clip-ons known to man. I am 6ft and it felt like a toy.

WATEVR
02-06-2007, 01:00 PM
honda dealer yesterday had firestorms for $12990 ride away. leaves you with a couple of gorillas to trick it up!!

crazymofo
02-06-2007, 02:17 PM
spend the extra on suspension, cos they def need the attention paid there.

cheers.joe.

zx12argh
03-06-2007, 01:51 PM
Okay guys = thanks for all your input - this is definitely coming to the pointy end of my decision.

Went out yesterday and test rode an 06 GSXR750, 05 GSXR1000, 03 GSXR750 and a ZX6r... All sports bikes with clip ons - Shock horror ;)

The first bike I road was the 06 GSXR750... it was fantastic - I'm 6'3" and had no problems fitting on this bike - the clips ons weren't in such a bad place (not like the 12r - they were fuggen shocking) it had sweet power and delivery and awesome handling. Loved it.

Next up was the GSXR 1000 very similar to the 750 but felt a bit heavier - not as sharp tho still great. Oodles of grunt - if I had just the one bike then I could certainly live with this pup.

The ZX6r - waaaay to small - couldn't read the guages and the riding position fucked with my back - i'm thinking now Kawasaki designs bikes with midget gymnasts in mind.

The clutch on the 03 GSXR750 was fucked - wasn't impressed when team moto tried to tell me that its just I don't know how to change gears when its 1-up 5-down instead of the normal linkage set up.

Loved the thou and 750 GSXRs - The thou is tempting with all that grunt but for that reason I think I'll avoid it. I already have the 12r for power - I reckon the 750 will make me a better rider.

I'm going to test ride a current model CBR600rr this weekend coming and see how that goes. Will probably make up my mind then and get the ball rolling on finance. Sweet.

zx12argh
03-06-2007, 01:53 PM
quote:Originally posted by Cruisecontrol

quote:Originally posted by Benz

What about a trumpy triple 675,

Those things are tiny. I took one for a spin and had to fold myself up like a pretzel to fit on and they had the lowest set of clip-ons known to man. I am 6ft and it felt like a toy.

Yeah cruise - I went and sat on one - tiny but sexy looking bike. Not as small as the zx6r but still a bit too small...

I even looked at a triumph tiger...

fimpBIKES
03-06-2007, 10:58 PM
if want a gix750 there is a k7 in newy
in the special dark blue colour

we managed to talk the dude down to $16k ON ROAD for cash!!!!
not bad

zx12argh
03-06-2007, 11:16 PM
Noice... I'm going to have to finance mine but if the store isn't financing it then I should be able to get a decent deal...
16k hey... I'll use that as a bench mark. - they were trying to sell me an 06 model (K6???) with 7000kms for 15k...

I really like the grey/black colour... Gives me a real woody:D

zx12argh
06-06-2007, 12:42 PM
Just another update - The more I think about it the less I like about spending 15k on a second had bike...

Brisbane Motorcycles are doing Honda VTR1000 for 12k + ORC brand new - now I know its a Honda but everywhere I go everyone has mentioned them when I told them what I was after... And my testicles are big enough to counter any Honda gay effects that may arise. I can always use a heat gun and remove the honda stickers... Put some kwaka ones on it...;)

Hillsy
06-06-2007, 12:50 PM

Just another update - The more I think about it the less I like about spending 15k on a second had bike...

Brisbane Motorcycles are doing Honda VTR1000 for 12k + ORC brand new - now I know its a Honda but everywhere I go everyone has mentioned them when I told them what I was after... And my testicles are big enough to counter any Honda gay effects that may arise. I can always use a heat gun and remove the honda stickers... Put some kwaka ones on it...;)

If it's the matt black one (not sure if they still do them), that would be OK. Good price.

Have you ridden one yet? That would be the decider....