PDA

View Full Version : Seen them 65 buck chains on ebay ?

Docktor
29-05-2007, 04:31 AM
Ummm. Would anyone seriously consider runnin power thru one or do yas reckon its a glorified pocket bike chain ?

alfiestorm
29-05-2007, 04:43 AM
Whats the item number Doc.

Found them ftp chains never heard of them but the info looks good if it is to be believed.
Cant find any other info on the web about ftp chains either.

Will have to wait to see if anyone has used them?

Seifer
29-05-2007, 08:16 AM
Are you talking about the $65 Gold X-ring chains? I've wondered the same thing actually, not really game enough to be the guinea pig on one tho.

Seifer
29-05-2007, 08:17 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/X-RING-CHAIN-525-GOLD-SUIT-CBR-GSXR-ZX-ZXR-YZF-HONDA_W0QQitemZ180120921821QQihZ008QQcategoryZ2970 5QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
This is them

Booster
29-05-2007, 08:52 AM
Tsubaki chain is well priced from a bearing shop & has some very strong options .
I know of someone that sent some brand name chain to China to be copied, probably a similar scenario on the ebay stuff (or is this the copy of the copy???;) )
I sent the ebay guy a question about tensile strength info, lets see what turns up

TurboKat
29-05-2007, 01:34 PM
I sold a few to bike couriers in the city & they said they last a bit longer than a H/Duty non O ring but not as long as a DID, RK, etc, O ring, they mostly run big bore singles & rarely clean, adjust, or lube their chains.
As for tensile strength, there wasn't any info on them from the importers last time I checked, only the basic "up to 600cc, up to 1100cc" type stuff.

Booster
29-05-2007, 01:46 PM
Similar to the reply from the ebay guy , no tensile specs.

Docktor
29-05-2007, 02:46 PM
Sorry blokes, couldnt reply, was at work,,,,again !!! It keeps gettin in the way of shit I wanna do. Ok I am gathering the general on them is they are crap ?. Thought that was the case.Was a little shy of hangin a 65 buck chain off a 20,000 dollar bike. :).

Jockney Rebel
29-05-2007, 05:32 PM
ill stick one on the old dirt bike im gettin and see if i can break it

Deano
29-05-2007, 06:07 PM
i wouldn;t touch it even you gave it to me for free.

its $65 for a reason. i sell the tsubaki chain packs and don't have any issues at all. after dealing with chains and sprockets in industral applications over the last 10 years i have seen some shit and what problems are caused by shit chains.

a couple of obvious things for you to consider.

oring chain has orings fitted to keep the factory grease in the roller and bush assy and therefore don't need anywhere near the amount of lubrication, all you need to do is keep the orings lubed to stop them from running dry, perishing and letting the factory lube escape.

if your chain has shiny rollers this dosn't mean it needs lube. lubing the rollers will help a very small amount in transfering heat from the chain roller to the sprocket. the lube point should be inbetween the inner and outer plates.

an over lubricated chain with alot of grease build up can take 5hp more to drive than a lightly lubed chain.

never put new chain on old sprockets or vice versa. the chain with strech to the worn pitch of the sprocket auite quickly and therefore be just as streched as the old chain you just took off.

good quality sprockets will increase chain life. if you have good quality sprockets then your chain lasts longer as the pitch of the chain will not where as quick meaning the chian wont strech as quick.

what makes a good chain is the material, tolerances and surface treatment of the side plates and bushes. companies like tusbaki, renold, EK, RK, diamond & DID etc spend millions every year in chain research and different manufacturing techniques to make there chain last longer than the rest. somehow i don't think that the 'who flong choo' chain company would have the same resourses and development budget.

finally like doc said, why put second rate chian on your first rate streetfighter. what happens when you open the taps at 100kph and the chain snaps bunching up at the front sprocket smashing the engine cover and many other components and taking out your ankle at the same time.
just ask Jose what sort of damage a broken chain can cause. he has a gsxr1100 motor that has destroyed engine cases from this exact problem.

at the end of the day it is your decsion but personally i would never us these chain as your new cheap chain could turn into an expensive problem

good luck

zx12argh
29-05-2007, 06:21 PM
Yeah I've got a mate who if he hadn't been wearing boots probably would have scored a broken ankle from a self destructing chain...
As it was just locked the rear at 120 kmph and destroyed the sprocket housing...

Docktor
29-05-2007, 10:19 PM
Cool, glad I asked the question now. Fuck em. Now I gotta go buy 2x good quality 530 chains, there goes my pay check. The buell is coppin chain drive :).

vtr420
07-06-2007, 03:01 PM
FTP Chains are available on www.ftpstunts.com click on Products.

I have 3 boxes of them at home they come in 520 525 and 530.

I cannot vouch for the quality of the chains but they are cheap

Foxy
08-06-2007, 07:44 AM
quote:Originally posted by Docktor

Cool, glad I asked the question now. Fuck em. Now I gotta go buy 2x good quality 530 chains, there goes my pay check. The buell is coppin chain drive :).
Have a chat to Deano, he might be able to fix with you with a decent chain mate.

Don't use those crappy ebay shit things, I got one on the 11 and it stretches like fuck.

Docktor
08-06-2007, 05:29 PM
............. Deano. I got a set of 6 spotters here with your name on em....... Cmon back n talk to meeee.

Deano
08-06-2007, 06:34 PM
quote:Originally posted by Docktor

............. Deano. I got a set of 6 spotters here with your name on em....... Cmon back n talk to meeee.

what do you want me to do? happy to through monies into accocunt and post if that suits mate. just pm the details.