PDA

View Full Version : Fitting Handlebars- Advice?

KB
27-05-2007, 10:19 PM
Hi guys,

Fitting new Renthals this week. I've roughly assembled the levers and switch blocks. Not rushing the job coz I've still got to drill the switch block locator holes and don't want to get it wrong. Looks like the new bars bring the cables and brake line close to their limits (had to disconnect the clamps holding the brake line to allow it to reach full lock) but it looks like everything is ok. I figure I'll cut about 15mm off each end of the bars (just seems a bit too wide as is). Any comments/tips?

Cheers, KB

http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/9721/dscf1587on2.th.jpg (http://img186.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscf1587on2.jpg)

Hillsy
28-05-2007, 01:13 PM
Put a bit of bearing blue on the locator dowels of your switch blocks to mark where to drill. Other than that, you're pretty much there ;)

KB
28-05-2007, 08:59 PM
Cheers Hillsy, thanks for the tip.
From the lack of responses I'll assume I'm on the right track. Do you guys reckon i should reconnect the brake-line brackets or leave the whole thing hangin loose?

Cruisecontrol
28-05-2007, 09:06 PM
Just make sure they are not going to get caught up anywhere and if not, leave them as is.

As for cutting a bit off the width of the bars, shame on you.[V]

pt
28-05-2007, 09:10 PM
yeah it's a naked bike to start with so the length should be long enough. bit weird that you had to undo the clamps, but i guess the bars just have a different profile. they probably had those weird narrow chrome bars on there stock?

KB
29-05-2007, 01:20 PM
Yea it had those poxy narrow chrome jobbies. New bars are bout the same height but the switch blocks sit out much wider now.

speeddemon
29-05-2007, 08:39 PM
Just remember to do the clamp bolts up properly first time. I have had a beer or two, pinched the clamps up earlier thinkin later ill do em up proper then the next ride i go braking into the first corner only to have my bars alooot lower and further forward.........[V] It is easy to do.[:o)][:o)]

madmaxman1986
30-05-2007, 03:11 AM
make damn sure the throttle cables snap back and all lines and wires don't get stretched or pulled when turning lock-to-lock. I just put a new set of fatbars on my fighter and I had to bullshit around with all the controls until everything was in the clear.