PDA

View Full Version : best material for fibreglass model

pt
25-05-2007, 12:48 PM
ok i'm gonna have a go at fibreglassing my own headlight unit and was wondering what the best material is for making a plug. i'm thinking some sort of foam becuase it will be easy to work with, but i'm not fond of getting itchy.... any suggestions?

zx12argh
25-05-2007, 02:37 PM
I made bits of my tail using high density blue foam and also expander foam. Blue foam is great you can carve it and actually get a half decent surface out of it. I'd hit it with a thin layer of body filler tho to seal it. Fibreglass resin attacks the foam like buggery. Expander foam is great for filling voids and is sandable however it does have a tendancy to create large air bubbles underneath the surface. HTH

pt
25-05-2007, 02:48 PM
yeah think i'll go with the blue foam then body filler it so its nice and smooth. can somewhere like clark rubber get me the stuff?

zx12argh
25-05-2007, 03:21 PM
any place that makes props or arts and crafy - I got mine from a recylcing outlet - cheap as. Just dont get the low density stuff - big puffy white foam balls - useless

pt
06-08-2008, 10:01 PM
way to dig up an old thread. have been chasing decent quality foam for a while now and have found shit all. clark rubber sucks, bunnings has nothing and the fucking weirdos in art shops just look at me funny!

where can i find such treasured material?

Large
06-08-2008, 10:11 PM
I got the blue foam from a place that makes truck cowlings down south somewhere in the shire I think

pt
07-08-2008, 03:27 PM
large is the stuff you got the high density/quality polystyrene? clatk rubber had some blue closed cell foam but it wasn't really that stiff. was tempted to get it but wasn't sure whether filler would stay if the foam moved?

07-08-2008, 07:25 PM
I found this stuff a while back.Heaps less fucking around.Re-usable and sets solid.Available in 100g,500g + 1Kg packs.Just dont tell everyone.;)

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Morphplast-Low-temp-mouldable-plastic-mold-mould-making_W0QQitemZ280250952815QQihZ018QQcategoryZ684 07QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD2VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp 1638Q2em122

Some handy glue's in his Ebay store too.

Gix11
07-08-2008, 07:44 PM
I get mine from a special effects company who build theme park rides etc. They have shit loads of the stuff lying around and I just walked into their factory and asked for a bit. I got enough to do my tail section and Mark's light unit for $20. Industrial areas near you may have a company that uses the same stuff. Check it out.

Here's what I found on a quick search: http://www.scenerysupplies.com.au/Categories-Set-Construction.aspx

Large
07-08-2008, 08:44 PM
quote:Originally posted by pt

large is the stuff you got the high density/quality polystyrene? clatk rubber had some blue closed cell foam but it wasn't really that stiff. was tempted to get it but wasn't sure whether filler would stay if the foam moved?

Yes yes yes It's the super dooper foam for molding purposes.

The seppos call it Blue Foam or Fanfold Foam in its original insulation style.

Hard to beat its shapeability/sandability/rockabillyty
:D

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/282024550160083.JPG

336LJ
08-08-2008, 06:31 AM
where abouts are you? I used to get my blue foam from a place in rocklea that sells it in different thicknesses, by the sheet ($35) last time I checked.

There was a resin proof foam we used to use on the fibrelass pools at my old work, I think from memory its called Formchlor. which would be perfect cause it doesnt disolve or end up all bung.
its really easy to cut up too. Maybe call a company like F.G.I (fibreglass international) and see if they can help you.