PDA

View Full Version : How do you make a two piece fibreglass mould???

zx12argh
21-05-2007, 10:51 AM
Okay - So the tailpiece has worked for the last few weeks so what I need to do now is take a mould of it and reproduce it in fibreglass.

Due to the shape I can see this is going to be a 2 piece mould with the part line on the veritcal axis through the centre of the tail.

Can anyone here advise on how I go about creating a mould and creating the actual end result.

Cheers :D

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/3807622722381.JPG

damo1
21-05-2007, 05:27 PM
Exben when your ready:D

speeddemon
21-05-2007, 06:50 PM
Look up fibreglass websites but something along the lines of using a wax with 3 coats on the plug (existing tail piece) then glassing over that to form up the mould. usual shit with expoxy such as breathing gear & mixing cups that wont melt (metal). Many tips on various website mate,same with CF jobs too as I have been looking around too.

chopiesel
21-05-2007, 07:14 PM
i was at bens last week and his missus was about ready to pop i think she was due tues so he might be a bit busy the next few days!!

but im sure google will answer all your questions.

shift1313
21-05-2007, 08:56 PM
Ive never done it in practice but i have a how to book that mentions it"briefly". Ill try to summarize it for you tonight.

crazymofo
21-05-2007, 08:58 PM
glass in a 50mm flange around both sides where they meet, drill some holes into the flange and bolt the 2 halves together, once the article has set, unbolt and split the 2 halves.

cheers.joe.

zx12argh
21-05-2007, 09:12 PM
Yeah been googling the answer on this one - I've made moulds before but only one piece-ers. The two piece complicates things a bit but from what I reckon will work.

Prep the plug as per normal and work out the split line. Cover the area in glad wrap and using body filler(bog - is that what some of you yanks call bondo?) build up a vertical edge over to once side where the split line will be keeping it as straight as possible.

Once the bog has cured take the overlap of gladwrap (clingfilm) and fold up over the top of the bog covering it completely.

Fibreglass the first half of the mould right up to and including the edge of bog and let it cure. Break away the bog - shouldn't stick too much cause of the glad wrap. Wax up the exposed edges of the shell and fibreglass up the second half of the mould. Let it cure.

Drill locating bolt holes in the cured mould then (hopefully) pull that sucker apart...

What do you guys reckon - I'll be taking a crack at this next week sometime after I clean up my tail piece a bit more. Can you think of any probs? I'm sort of making this up as I go along and from what I've read of the net.

shift1313
22-05-2007, 09:57 AM
i dont think you need the body filler part of it. THe guy who has the fiberglass book at work wasnt there today so i couldnt get the answer for you but i seem to remember them cutting out wood, plastic or metal pieces held together with C clamps at the seam(this was thin wood and it was sealed and stained on the mold edge but thin sheet metal would work the same, just make sure your glass sticks to it.

zx12argh
22-05-2007, 12:36 PM
Thanks Matt - if you could check that book that would be great. I had thought of something along those lines but worried about getting a good seal along the part line edge. My tail piece is fairly curve all over and cutting a piece that follows those curves would be a pain in the arse I reckon. I figured using body filler would give me a good seal along the bottom edge of the part line.

Gix11
23-05-2007, 05:13 AM
The best part is that because your doing it in the negative, any gaps in your mould will be lumps on the final piece so it's just a case of sanding them down. It's a bugger, but all the info above covers most of it mate. Only did it a few times and my biggest problem was making the 'tricky to get bits' not thick enough causing weak spots. The shape you have should flow pretty well. Loads of release agent, good gel coat and thick glass and you'll be sweet. I have one ahead of me again soon......

zx12argh
23-05-2007, 12:25 PM
Sorted - Thanks for your feedback folks I reckon I'm good to go. Now... can anyone recommend a good place around brisvegas for the bits and pieces I'll need? So far all my fibreglassing needs have come from bunnings but I think I'm a bit past there now ;)

evad
23-05-2007, 05:42 PM
Hey Pete, Dont know how good their prices are but I have seen all the gear at Glascraft Marine in The Valley give them a call -32525955

zx12argh
24-05-2007, 08:56 AM
Thanks Dave - I might drop in and have a chat to them.

EXBEN
24-05-2007, 09:12 AM
FGI have a branch up there & they've got everything you need.
http://www.fgi.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=51&Itemid=63
2/6 Ereton Drive
Labrador QLD 4215
Tel: (07) 5563 7771
Fax: (07) 5563 7888