PDA

View Full Version : V-TWIN TURBO"S need cold hard facts please.

veetwo tls
17-06-2006, 07:30 PM
v-twin turbo's on the suzuki TL ?
can someone awnser this subject ?
please that have an idea & advice on the subject.
BEN :)

http://www.tlzone.net/forums/showthread.php?t=71666

EXBEN
17-06-2006, 07:54 PM
So what do you want to know?
Will one work ? Yes
Is a Twin ideal for making big power? Not really
What the TL has got going for it is that it's fuel
injected & a fairly high revving V twin,& Revs = Hot Gas flow & turbos love hot gas flow.
But with twin turbos your efectively turbocharging two singles & while people have done that, your losing out on half your exhaust pulses & thats not good for making strong smooth boost.
Basiclly for the extra expense,plumbing, packaging, & hassle I can't really see that it would be worth it.

Large
17-06-2006, 08:10 PM
METHINKS NOT ENOUGH PULSES TO KEEP THE LITTLE WHEEL SPINNING SMOOTHLY

veetwo tls
17-06-2006, 08:13 PM
spooling up the turbo will be an odd stiuation. since most I-4 firing order is 1-4-3-2, and fire every 90 deg apart. Our v-twin doesn't, so having a quicker spool up is doubtful. Maybe the displacement helps out but it all depends on the turbine A/R size and the turbine wheel profile.

Save your money and overbore the engine and fit race gear. Turbo won't work due to firing order and exhaust pulse

does that cause a problem ?

Booster
19-06-2006, 04:27 PM
Lots of turbo harleys out there, just a matter of sizing the turbo correctly.
The efficancy may be less than a 4 cyl , I work at ~10hp/psi as a reasonable system , probably look to 8 with the TL .
I think there's a Duke in WA (featured in Rapid??) doing ok, wouldn't be any different .

19-06-2006, 04:36 PM
Ever though of just dropping a V-Max 12 engine in?

That'd give you the power boost you're after, and you could just tell you're mates you have 2 V-Twins (if they ride V-Twins as well they probably won't realise what's going on :D)

:)

Pulford's (in CBR) were recently pulling 290 ponies out of a Humpty Dumpty with turbo etc etc, well until they cracked the head, and noone seems too willing to actually give it it's first ride up and down the street. Something being muttered about it being an unrideable peaky temperamental pig (thought they were talking about the ex for a second :) )

Benz
19-06-2006, 07:57 PM
If you are gonna go to the trouble of twin turbos, wouldn't it be more successful, and maybe easier, to spend the bucks on a supercharger, and eliminate the exhaust pulse problem, as well as running cooler.
No waiting for boost, and the torque figures would go through the roof[8D]. Is it Sprintex that is doing this to Hardley Rideables?I read an article in AMCN about an "off the shelf" V rod mod that had the tester dribbling about the improvement.
If it works for a tractor, it MUST be good for a modern, high revving injected TLR

crazymofo
19-06-2006, 09:07 PM
id seriously look at a turbo from a 1.5lt car engine as a starting point and run it as a single turbo set up, mount it up front, having the front exhaust pipe shorter then the rear wont matter much just as long as the pipework is short and direct with minimal bends. actually thinking about it, i would run rear header, down under the engine, and run it accross the sump to the turbo, the front header, come down and do a 180 under the sump to even it up a little and distort the gas pusling a little to smooth it all out a little bit more.

intake plenum will have to be a mininum of 3lt in capacity, to suppress the surging of gas pulses as well, problem with that is.. boost response will be hit on the head a little bit, due the fact the turbo will have to spin up and pressurise the plenum before the engine sees any major bennefit.

a turbo set up could go quite well i reckon, tho i do feel it would be fairly peaky compared to a simular capacity 4 banger, but.. the V-twin has good bottom end anyways, so it'd balance out.

cheers.joe.

Booster
19-06-2006, 09:41 PM
Exhaust length differenced b/t front and rear may give some separation of the pulses benifical for a more even pressure wave .
But i wouldn't worry too much about inlet volumes , calculate the cfm output of a particular turbo and compare it to the volume of any airbox and you will see it takes ~1/2 a sec to fill . A conveniant size and shape usually works well.
Things to check may be injector flow and potential hp, What engine management package , fuel pump? intended hp and an appropiate turbo to suit, personaly i would pick a gt28 ar48ex ar42 inlet(like a steel wheel silvia turbo)and aim for ~200hp max(not familiar enough with required TL engine mods to suit)
I have not turbo'd a twin ,only commenting on what i think is "do able"

crazymofo
19-06-2006, 10:11 PM
imo the gt28 would be a little large for a 1000cc V-Twin, the turbo would constantly rise and fall in shaft speed (at part throttle)

the next frame down (gt25) would be much better suited. you may sacrifice top end horsepower (not by much really), but in terms of all round rideabilty the gt25 would be the better choice.

i mainly suggested a turbo from a 1.5lt car as most guys doing these sort of things and asking these questions usually want to do it themselves on the cheap( wreaking yard bits :P ). (if you had the money, youd take it to someone else to sort out :P ). and old tech exhaust wheels and housings take a little more effort to spin, compared to the gt series.

VF18 OR VF22 could be a start.. mitsu TD05's...

cheers.joe.

Booster
19-06-2006, 10:26 PM
Reason i'm thinking "biggish " is the twin will have more exhaust energy in its pulse than a 4 and not to choke it, sort of like rotarys have big a/r's even though there 12or 1300cc .
Ihi have some nice turbo's but there is less information available on airflow for different models , only there chart that shows the hp range of the various models.rhf5 vj26 is one i'm familiar with that would be slightly smaller than the gt28 mentioned above.

veetwo tls
20-06-2006, 07:54 PM
quote:Originally posted by chalk10

Ever though of just dropping a V-Max 12 engine in?

That'd give you the power boost you're after, and you could just tell you're mates you have 2 V-Twins (if they ride V-Twins as well they probably won't realise what's going on :D)

:)

Pulford's (in CBR) were recently pulling 290 ponies out of a Humpty Dumpty with turbo etc etc, well until they cracked the head, and noone seems too willing to actually give it it's first ride up and down the street. Something being muttered about it being an unrideable peaky temperamental pig (thought they were talking about the ex for a second :) )

V-MAX [xx(] im not that old i aint ready for the ulysses yet :D

Bobster
05-07-2006, 06:46 PM
If you have the time and money you could make any turbo work, although i wouldnt do it. Somebody mentioned a turbo Ducati, any pics? Ducatis are different from the rest cause they run the equivalent of a bigbang firing order and the crank throw, i think harleys run a similar setup hence the odd and erratic exhaust note.

Booster
05-07-2006, 07:17 PM
Bobster found the article (performance streetbike #80) actually has nothing on a turbo duc ???? big pic & build up headlines on the cover but the story only mentions the plan to fit a ct12 toyota turbo ???? thanks for making me look, maybe it didn't work out.

veetwo tls
05-07-2006, 07:33 PM
quote:Originally posted by Booster

Bobster found the article (performance streetbike #80) actually has nothing on a turbo duc ???? big pic & build up headlines on the cover but the story only mentions the plan to fit a ct12 toyota turbo ???? thanks for making me look, maybe it didn't work out.

booster:
yeh he did mate. in a issue or two later was an appoligy aparently there was more than one photo shoot they posted earlyer pics.

http://www.postwhore.biz/albums/userpics/10073/normal_patto-nitro-nite_large%20_Large_.jpg (http://www.postwhore.biz/albums/userpics/10073/patto-nitro-nite_large%20_Large_.jpg)
http://www.postwhore.biz/albums/userpics/10073/normal_IMG_0370%20_Large_~0.jpg (http://www.postwhore.biz/albums/userpics/10073/IMG_0370%20_Large_~0.jpg)
http://www.postwhore.biz/albums/userpics/10073/normal_Pict0119%20_Large_.jpg (http://www.postwhore.biz/albums/userpics/10073/Pict0119%20_Large_.jpg)

EXBEN
07-07-2006, 10:11 PM
I spoke with Todd ( His dad own's the Ducati ) today & it seems we may be seeing a 300+ hp 999 turbo drag bike before the end of the year.

Booster
07-07-2006, 11:05 PM
That would be [:p].

veetwo tls
08-07-2006, 01:32 AM
Woohoo cant wait to see this.

Booster
08-07-2006, 09:35 AM
While on the subject of other twins, i came across this today
http://fxstein.com/blog/index.php?op=ViewArticle&articleId=10&blogId=1
Big Yammie road warrior with intercooled gt28 setup.