PDA

View Full Version : opinions for a fighter project

throttlejockey
15-06-2006, 06:04 PM
as a fighter project, i would really like a tls to go to work on. great motor but i would junk everything else cosmetically.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4648805692&fromMakeTrack=true

or a kwaka zxr750. renownwed for the front end's, which i reckon i need being front a end heavy rider.

one problem i fore-see is if a bike is (for example) 51% front & 49% rear with rider, changing the riding position this much with raised straight bars is going to greatly effect the handling too right?

by the way, i love this site!

any advise appreciated guys & gals.

willow
15-06-2006, 06:52 PM
Yeah that is a big problem with changing the original forward riding position to sit-up-and-beg position. You sacrifice handling. Besides the obvious - tyres, suspension etc - good handling and road feel requires weight over the front!

fimpBIKES
15-06-2006, 07:06 PM
nup, i refuse to believe that mate

with flat/MX bars there is shitloads less sweep
so there is still plenty of wieght over the front if you want it there

or u can "sit up and beg", its all in the body position

of course, if u rise the bars up heaps and put apehangers on it
you have know-one to blame but yourself [B)]

fimpBIKES
15-06-2006, 07:07 PM
oh, and thats pretty fuckin cheap mate

my TLR cost about that much and it was royally fuckt
i'd buy it

willow
15-06-2006, 07:26 PM
Yeah that's fair enough fimpy. Depends on how you ride of course. But in general, the more front wheel weight bias you have the better your handling and feel in most on-road situations, and this is where clip-ons - yes clip-ons:D - are better than begger bars.

Ya think this might turn into a never ending debate?

throttlejockey
15-06-2006, 07:52 PM
i reckon it could be anever ending debate, cause everyone rides different...

the concern with weight bias is how much confidence it installs in the rider. i am a heavy front end rider, so this is a worry if i am gonna spend the dough.

then again, i had a go of a mates super motard, & after the initial shock of the riding position, i had the most fun in ages along the old road. i had the pegs & brackets dug into the road it offered such good grip, as long as i sat on the handle-bars.
hoped off that & onto a hornet & didnt feel mearly as confident...

i reckon that price for a tls is bloody good too. i may even be able to afford it without selling the gixxer too!
my wife wold kill me though.

BOHEMION
15-06-2006, 10:41 PM
quote:Originally posted by willow

Yeah that's fair enough fimpy. Depends on how you ride of course. But in general, the more front wheel weight bias you have the better your handling and feel in most on-road situations, and this is where clip-ons - yes clip-ons:D - are better than begger bars.

Nah mate Ive sen clip ons on some nice bikes But WILL NEVER use them myself Maybe on an oldskool cafe racer one day but never on one of my bikes.

willow
16-06-2006, 07:15 AM
Yeah Boh, that's your choice and you're certainly entitled to it. But i'd jus like to know why? Is it because the clip-ons make the look of the bike diffrent? Or do the flat/begger bars actually help your style of riding?

throttlejockey
16-06-2006, 09:35 AM
hey fimp,

whats the story with the rear shock on the tl's.
have you got a stock rear suspension?
i have also been told it is easy to fix though, although im not sure on what the problem was - linkages, spring rate????

& how are they for parts, easy to get? cheap or expensive??

16-06-2006, 10:31 AM

Drag bars are better, give you similar height to clip-ons while being further forward, and you can put more of you're weight on to them, pull yourself forward more easily, better control during stoppies. AND retain better control on rough (ie not a race-track) surfaces.

Clip-ons are for race-tracks, cafe racers and twats who like to pose on prissy greaseball machines.

Not tha I have an opinion on such things guys;)

deafwish
16-06-2006, 10:50 AM
If you analyse this, clip ons and flat bars have their place.
I always thought that clip ons allow your wrists to be straighter when your knee is down and hanging off the side of the bike.
Flat bars would make your wrist have to twist (that rhyms!) to maintain flat contact on your grip.
I agree that only rice boys use clip ons.
<runs and hides>
Daz.

16-06-2006, 12:00 PM
quote:Originally posted by deafwish

If you analyse this, clip ons and flat bars have their place.
I always thought that clip ons allow your wrists to be straighter when your knee is down and hanging off the side of the bike.
Flat bars would make your wrist have to twist (that rhyms!) to maintain flat contact on your grip.
I agree that only rice boys use clip ons.
<runs and hides>
Daz.

I'm sure there's enough 'blokes' around here with limp enough wrists for that to not matter. [:D Just check out Fimp on Islington nites [8D]

But at least we agree on the important last point

<runs even faster>

fimpBIKES
16-06-2006, 12:41 PM
limp wrist? yes
erect middle finger? ALWAYS :D

as far as the TL suspension, the min thing to fix is the rotary damper
easy enough to do, u just but a penske/ohlins/bitubo unit and bolt it in
costs about $600-$1000 depending on which brand u go and if u get a good deal

willow
17-06-2006, 09:30 PM
Funny, majority of road riders today must be rice boys. Does that make the rest tough boys?? Saw some riders today that would pass for the curry boys. They were followed by a pack that would most certainly be potatoe boys. Then came a mob of cream-puff boys - they all had begger bars.

BOHEMION
17-06-2006, 10:32 PM

Yeah Boh, that's your choice and you're certainly entitled to it. But i'd jus like to know why? Is it because the clip-ons make the look of the bike diffrent? Or do the flat/begger bars actually help your style of riding?

If you have any recordings of the UK mini twin series and Streetclass from 2004 that will give you your answer. Watch a Rider called Nigel Purdon ( R.I.P ).

I dont knw if your arguing that Fat bars (if ya call em Begger bars i want to slap you) dont make a difference. Its for a more comfortable riding position with much better street control. This has been proven on the track by awesome riders. As for above I think your pretty confued.

willow
18-06-2006, 10:39 AM
I dont knw if your arguing that Fat bars (if ya call em Begger bars i want to slap you) dont make a difference. Its for a more comfortable riding position with much better street control. This has been proven on the track by awesome riders. As for above I think your pretty confued.
[/quote]

Jus takin the piss outa the term 'rice boys'. Means about as much to me as 'curry boys' etc etc.
Flat bars are very similar to clip-ons - they drop your weight forward to an extent and, if my opinion means anything, they look better than clip-ons(tougher). Begger bars are bars you find on pigs like my 1991 model zephyr 750. Called that because they make you sit-up and beg like a dog.

willow
18-06-2006, 10:43 AM
Oh and jus so that no-one takes offence to the term pig. I meant that it wallows around on the road as though its in mud.

(Sheesh Large, now I'm paranoid!)