PDA

View Full Version : WHEELIE WORLD RECORD :

Tony Nitrous
12-06-2006, 07:36 PM
200MPH - PLUS WHEELIE TARGET

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/9239/dodge4kz.jpg

Hayabusa pilot Dave ‘Dodge’ Rogers used to hold the world record for the fastest flying kilometre wheelie – and he wants the title back. That’s why he has hired Elvington Airfield in Yorkshire from 9-11 July to stage the World Wheelie Record Breaking Challenge. He will be up against as many as 100 riders, all keen to prove they can pull the fastest and most spectacular wheelies in the world.

He said: “You are going to see in competition some of the best one-wheel riders in Britain – possibly the world – but the rivalry is all very friendly.”

Two records are up for grabs and they are going to take some beating. The record for holding the front wheel airborne over a flying kilometre stands at 156mph (250kph) and the outright record for popping off a short, sharp quickie is over 200mph (320kph)

Dodge, a 40-year-old transport manager from Cheshire, is confident he can do it. He reckons the Hayabusa streetfighter on which he held the flying kilometre record at 137mph from 2002 until 2005 will put him back on top in that class and he is also borrowing Dave Freeman’s incredible turbo-charged Busa.

This beast is officially the most powerful streetbike in Europe with a dyno-tested output of just under 600bhp – more than three times the stomp of Rossi’s MotoGP Yamaha.

Dodge will be unleashing the super Busa for a crack at the fastest wheelie in the world title.

He hosted the same competition in the same place last year. The flying kilometre record of 140mph was then held by Australian Mark Mingay on a Suzuki GSX-R1000. That was bettered by the top 10 finishers at Elvington with Terry Calcott (1000 Gixxer) emerging the new champion. Dodge was sixth, with a best of 148mph, but reckons he was handicapped by being so heavily involved in ensuring the event ran smoothly. This time he has handed over many of those responsibilities to concentrate on his riding.

This year’s entry includes stunt rider Dave Coates, superstock race ace Bob Collins and wheelie school experts Jimmy Fireblade and Paul Gower. Some riders will also be having a crack at other speed records and one or two are taking part for the sheer hell of it.

BOHEMION
12-06-2006, 07:45 PM
Tony U bugga Welcome back. been busy mate?

Tony Nitrous
12-06-2006, 07:48 PM
quote:Originally posted by BOHEMION

Tony U bugga Welcome back. been busy mate?

Naaaa, just a bit pissed off and stressed, but its behind me now.
EDIT: (Bo, you have "mail")

http://img48.imageshack.us/img48/9664/yancy16px.jpg

260 MPH (416kph) on a street bike!
On Sunday, October 30, Lee Shierts smashed out a 260.2886 MPH pass at the East Coast Timing Association's (ECTA) Maxton, NC one-mile track to become the first street bike rider in history to set an official record over 260 MPH. Shierts rode the Rich Yancy built and tuned "BUD BUSA" Suzuki Hayabusa through the 132-foot traps in only 0.34577 seconds, after a one-mile
acceleration from a standing start. Shierts' record is the new world, American, association, and track record for street bikes. The red, highly modified 1999 Suzuki Hayabusa is equipped with a "Mr Turbo" turbo system; that is basically a standard system with an ice intercooler fabricated by Yancy. Yancy reports about 500 horsepower in the tune up used for the 260 MPH record run. Although Yancy's bike has nearly standard wheelbase and fairings, his chassis may carry up to 200 pounds of ballast, in an effort to find and control traction. In repeated testing, Yancy and team riders Shierts, Wayne Pollack, and Scott Guthrie found that too much rear-wheel traction was possible, allowing the front wheel to lift at over 240 MPH. This raised the possibility of a "power wheelie" going over backwards at near 250 MPH, especially if the air got under the bike and continued the lifting the bike even after the throttle was closed. Too little rear wheel traction, the bike would spin the tire for 5,280 feet, and reduce top speed. Yancy and Shierts used Saturday's ECTA racing as a tuning and practice session in preparation for the expected better weather on Sunday morning. With 5-8 MPH headwinds, and with temperatures as high as the 70's, Shierts rode passes of 245.9084 MPH, 252.3412 MPH and 256.2424 MPH, all national speed records. Giving in to the high winds and high temperatures, the team packed up for the day at only 3:30 pm. Sunday dawned beautifully cool and clear. First ECTA record runs began at 8:00 am, but Yancy and Shierts waited until almost 9:00 am to bring the Bud Busa to the line. Yancy risked the chance of bad winds, hoping to see that the crumbling World War Two concrete track was clean, and the timing equipment was "working good". Off the trailer, with no warm-up or practice, Shierts made an almost flawless run at 260.2886 MPH to take the record in a 1-3 MPH headwind and about 54-55 degree temperature. Combining Shierts' last run of Saturday, and his first run of Sunday, Bonneville style, Shierts established a two-run average of 258.2655 MPH. The fastest street bike record at Bonneville is 252.832 MPH. With Shierts aboard, the Bud Busa was the first to set a street bike record over 250 MPH, in October of 2004. He was also the first to break 255 MPH, in October 2004. The Bud Busa, with veteran team rider Scott Guthrie aboard, holds the 251.148 MPH motorcycle track record at the Goliad, Texas "Texas Mile" land speed racing track. The Yancy Bud Busa is the only bike to hold the track record at two major land-speed racing tracks at the same time.

BOHEMION
12-06-2006, 08:06 PM
No probs buddy, welcome back to the circus!

12-06-2006, 09:21 PM
Mark Mingay,is that Matt's brother?

Razorback
13-06-2006, 02:45 PM
I was wondering that too Dave. If it is then hes impersonating Matt coz the guy who sold me my Bandit said he held the current world record and he told me his name was Matt :D

IMP-INC
13-06-2006, 03:00 PM
i hit a bird at 50kph and that neally threw me on, as for 400 well thats just stupid to me,