PDA

View Full Version : Filler for plastic

Gsxar
23-05-2006, 08:09 PM
I'm attempting to modify my switch boxes. I have cut of some bits and filled in others;) really did seem like a good idea 1 night after a few drinks lol.:D:D
I now need some kind of filler to smooth of the top layer that will stick to the plastic that I can sand?

gibbo
23-05-2006, 08:53 PM
Jo, you can buy a bodyfiller designed to be applied to plastic which is better than standard "bog" but you ned to be careful that it's not made of polypropelene (feels kinda waxy) as not much sticks to this without a special primer. I guess you're going to paint it, if so, and the problems are not too deep I'd suggest you continue sanding with progressively finer grades of paper, prime with K&H plasti prime, sand, paint. Piece of piss really. Failing all that put a sticker on it, or send em to me.

gibbo
23-05-2006, 08:53 PM
Jo, you can buy a bodyfiller designed to be applied to plastic which is better than standard "bog" but you ned to be careful that it's not made of polypropelene (feels kinda waxy) as not much sticks to this without a special primer. I guess you're going to paint it, if so, and the problems are not too deep I'd suggest you continue sanding with progressively finer grades of paper, prime with K&H plasti prime, sand, paint. Piece of piss really. Failing all that put a sticker on it, or send em to me.

pesh
24-05-2006, 03:57 PM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/37298795028594.jpgHey GSXAR have u ever tried using plastex its a plastic based filler that is just used for sticking plastic , filling plastic and molding plastic bits together .. u can buy it from any motorbike shop.. but i have found that u can buy exactly the same product for half the price in big surf shops .. they use it for snowboards n stuff when they cop a huge chunk in the bottom. I have used it a fair bit and u can sand and paint straight over the top .. hope this was of some help... oh yeah u can get it in heaps of different colors too[8D]

pesh
24-05-2006, 03:57 PM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/37298795028594.jpgHey GSXAR have u ever tried using plastex its a plastic based filler that is just used for sticking plastic , filling plastic and molding plastic bits together .. u can buy it from any motorbike shop.. but i have found that u can buy exactly the same product for half the price in big surf shops .. they use it for snowboards n stuff when they cop a huge chunk in the bottom. I have used it a fair bit and u can sand and paint straight over the top .. hope this was of some help... oh yeah u can get it in heaps of different colors too[8D]

gibbo
24-05-2006, 07:11 PM
Actually Jo, plastex is pretty good stuff, I've used it a fair bit, the only problem is that when you paint it all the repair edges show up (shrinkage) but it does have great adhesion and strength, bloody easy to use too.

gibbo
24-05-2006, 07:11 PM
Actually Jo, plastex is pretty good stuff, I've used it a fair bit, the only problem is that when you paint it all the repair edges show up (shrinkage) but it does have great adhesion and strength, bloody easy to use too.

pesh
24-05-2006, 10:01 PM
yeah it's good stuff ... i used it on my tail when i bought it , it had a crack right down one side the plastex worked a treat .. i painted it matt black .. n u cant see where the crack was

pesh
24-05-2006, 10:01 PM
yeah it's good stuff ... i used it on my tail when i bought it , it had a crack right down one side the plastex worked a treat .. i painted it matt black .. n u cant see where the crack was

Gsxar
25-05-2006, 08:25 PM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/55821772663167.JPG
This is what I have done so far, filled the holes I didnt want with acrylic.
The acrylic nail technician:D:D:D is visiting and says she can fix it, yay. So then I just want it painted a smooth shiney black. Think it will look okay?
Gibbo still gonna call ya ;) just waiting to get the bike back from having its new oil lines made.

Gsxar
25-05-2006, 08:25 PM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/55821772663167.JPG
This is what I have done so far, filled the holes I didnt want with acrylic.
The acrylic nail technician:D:D:D is visiting and says she can fix it, yay. So then I just want it painted a smooth shiney black. Think it will look okay?
Gibbo still gonna call ya ;) just waiting to get the bike back from having its new oil lines made.

25-05-2006, 08:59 PM
looks like your left with a starter switch and a horn Jo. What were you drinking?
nice carpet too

25-05-2006, 08:59 PM
looks like your left with a starter switch and a horn Jo. What were you drinking?
nice carpet too