PDA

View Full Version : Unregistered Gixxer Project

ScottyJ
19-05-2006, 01:15 PM
Guys

I would like to build up a '89 Gixxer fighter from a wreck.

I would like to know how tough the RTA (NSW) reregistration process is and if it costs much money to jump through the hoops.

Does the bike have to be in its original condition to pass reregistration or can it be presented all messed up street fighter style?

Thanks,

SJ

03gixxerpilot
19-05-2006, 02:13 PM
G'day scotty welcome i live in QLD so one of the NSW members will have to answer that Q

03gixxerpilot
19-05-2006, 02:13 PM
G'day scotty welcome i live in QLD so one of the NSW members will have to answer that Q

Captaintoc
19-05-2006, 04:26 PM
Ummm what do you by messed up?

I wouldn't mess with the frame as you'll have to get an engineers report for it $$$$$ just do whats nessary to get through rego and then play with it.

Also if you increase the engine size by more than 15% I think the running gear has to be uprated to suit i.e. brakes and shocks etc.

oh yeah is it a repairable write off if so add $300 to the cost.

Have Fun
Andrew

Captaintoc
19-05-2006, 04:26 PM
Ummm what do you by messed up?

I wouldn't mess with the frame as you'll have to get an engineers report for it $$$$$ just do whats nessary to get through rego and then play with it.

Also if you increase the engine size by more than 15% I think the running gear has to be uprated to suit i.e. brakes and shocks etc.

oh yeah is it a repairable write off if so add $300 to the cost.

Have Fun
Andrew

fimpBIKES
19-05-2006, 07:04 PM
i dont think it needs to be stock (i hope not)
as far as fairings go

i know an aftermarket streetfighter headlight should need an eng cert (thats about $130)
but seems like most here get away without it anyhoo

fimpBIKES
19-05-2006, 07:04 PM
i dont think it needs to be stock (i hope not)
as far as fairings go

i know an aftermarket streetfighter headlight should need an eng cert (thats about $130)
but seems like most here get away without it anyhoo

sharky
19-05-2006, 09:55 PM
Anyone know about this stuff in Vic.
I have bought a rolling chasis with a bent frame. I have checked with Vicroads and it can be put back on the road after sorting and inspecting.
Anyone done this before ??

sharky
19-05-2006, 09:55 PM
Anyone know about this stuff in Vic.
I have bought a rolling chasis with a bent frame. I have checked with Vicroads and it can be put back on the road after sorting and inspecting.
Anyone done this before ??

hooligan
20-05-2006, 01:02 AM
Scotty,are you using the original frame and engine (That's the 2 biggest probs)? The other shit is fairly easy, as long as it is actually roadworthy. What mods are you planning? And will they be obvious - I had a new subframe put on, but it looks factory, so they didn't notice/care.
Indicators, lights/brake lights that work and mirrors are the main things you need for a blue slip. (mines been outta rego during my suspension, so I'll find out soon enough, eh?)

hooligan
20-05-2006, 01:02 AM
Scotty,are you using the original frame and engine (That's the 2 biggest probs)? The other shit is fairly easy, as long as it is actually roadworthy. What mods are you planning? And will they be obvious - I had a new subframe put on, but it looks factory, so they didn't notice/care.
Indicators, lights/brake lights that work and mirrors are the main things you need for a blue slip. (mines been outta rego during my suspension, so I'll find out soon enough, eh?)

willow
22-05-2006, 12:39 PM
G'day Scotto.
I have put a few F model gixers on the road from racer spec. They are very easy to do as long as you stay with the factory specs. And as long as you stay with the factory specs you will pass a blue slip inspection no problem. However, if you modify the frame in any way you need an engineer's report. And if you do any welding, you have to get a metalurgists report on the welding, then an engineer's report on the metalurgists report! $$$$$$$$$$$! (Stupid bloody regulations!)
The motor doesn't really matter, coz short of pulling the thing down or dynoing it, how the hell do they know what you've done to it unless you have a big turbo hanging off the side??

Hope this helps.

willow
22-05-2006, 12:39 PM
G'day Scotto.
I have put a few F model gixers on the road from racer spec. They are very easy to do as long as you stay with the factory specs. And as long as you stay with the factory specs you will pass a blue slip inspection no problem. However, if you modify the frame in any way you need an engineer's report. And if you do any welding, you have to get a metalurgists report on the welding, then an engineer's report on the metalurgists report! $$$$$$$$$$$! (Stupid bloody regulations!)
The motor doesn't really matter, coz short of pulling the thing down or dynoing it, how the hell do they know what you've done to it unless you have a big turbo hanging off the side??

Hope this helps.

willow
22-05-2006, 12:41 PM
This is in good ol' NSW, of course.

willow
22-05-2006, 12:41 PM
This is in good ol' NSW, of course.

fimpBIKES
22-05-2006, 07:13 PM
willow, on "the list" that the rta have
does it mention what was wrong with the bike to start with for them to declare it a repairable write-off?

i have a cracked weld, but im wondering if they would have that on record somewhere?

fimpBIKES
22-05-2006, 07:13 PM
willow, on "the list" that the rta have
does it mention what was wrong with the bike to start with for them to declare it a repairable write-off?

i have a cracked weld, but im wondering if they would have that on record somewhere?

willow
22-05-2006, 08:31 PM
Not sure about bikes fimpy. I know for certain it does for cars - Usta work in panel shop where they rebirthed (legally) write offs.
Sorry, mate, can't help there.

willow
22-05-2006, 08:31 PM
Not sure about bikes fimpy. I know for certain it does for cars - Usta work in panel shop where they rebirthed (legally) write offs.
Sorry, mate, can't help there.

ScottyJ
23-05-2006, 06:25 AM
Thanks for your advice guys.

Looks like getting my plans past the missus will be harder than getting them past the RTA!

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again,

SJ

ScottyJ
23-05-2006, 06:25 AM
Thanks for your advice guys.

Looks like getting my plans past the missus will be harder than getting them past the RTA!

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again,

SJ