PDA

View Full Version : Frame straightening

sharky
18-05-2006, 12:54 PM
Can anyone recommend a frame straightener in Vic ?
There are several I have found but I have no idea who to trust...

Deano
18-05-2006, 12:58 PM
bob martin engineering. exxy but good they no their shit quick turnaround

Deano
18-05-2006, 12:58 PM
bob martin engineering. exxy but good they no their shit quick turnaround

sharky
18-05-2006, 01:02 PM
Thanks Deano, I have just spoken to them. They want $380 to do the frame....Its the same price a wrecker wants for a frame...but would that one be straight...

sharky
18-05-2006, 01:02 PM
Thanks Deano, I have just spoken to them. They want $380 to do the frame....Its the same price a wrecker wants for a frame...but would that one be straight...

sluglie
18-05-2006, 01:20 PM
prolly not if you are getting it from a wreckers, (especially someone like vic wreckers) better off getting your own frame straightened, at least you know it is done right then, and as deano says, bob martins know there shit.

sluglie
18-05-2006, 01:20 PM
prolly not if you are getting it from a wreckers, (especially someone like vic wreckers) better off getting your own frame straightened, at least you know it is done right then, and as deano says, bob martins know there shit.

sharky
18-05-2006, 02:34 PM
Whats your experience been like with Vic wreckers Sluglie ?
I thought they were expensive ...
I did have a good local wrecker but unfortunately he died last week...Bump starting a dirt bike in his driveway...throttle jambed and bang straight into a tree !!!

sharky
18-05-2006, 02:34 PM
I did have a good local wrecker but unfortunately he died last week...Bump starting a dirt bike in his driveway...throttle jambed and bang straight into a tree !!!

sluglie
18-05-2006, 05:24 PM
quote:Originally posted by sharky

they dont know there arse from the elbow as far as parts are concerned, and because they are one of the biggest in vic they charge like a wounded bull. but they have a lot of stuff, and for the price you are quoted for the frame, it certainly wont have been straightened, so you would have to have that done to be safe anyway, just get yours fixed, will be cheaper in the end anyway.

bad news about the guy on the dirt bike, shit like that can happen to the best of us

sluglie
18-05-2006, 05:24 PM
quote:Originally posted by sharky

they dont know there arse from the elbow as far as parts are concerned, and because they are one of the biggest in vic they charge like a wounded bull. but they have a lot of stuff, and for the price you are quoted for the frame, it certainly wont have been straightened, so you would have to have that done to be safe anyway, just get yours fixed, will be cheaper in the end anyway.

bad news about the guy on the dirt bike, shit like that can happen to the best of us

fimpBIKES
18-05-2006, 05:57 PM
i got my new SV engine off em for $1500, was the creapest i could find (exchange that is)

with the straightening, do they need to use the subframe at all?
whats involved exactly?

fimpBIKES
18-05-2006, 05:57 PM
i got my new SV engine off em for $1500, was the creapest i could find (exchange that is)

with the straightening, do they need to use the subframe at all?
whats involved exactly?

sharky
18-05-2006, 06:49 PM
You need a complete rolling chassis with engine. They use various jigs and measuring gadgets to check everything out. Even a brand new bike can have a skight twist somewhere in the frame !!

sharky
18-05-2006, 06:49 PM
You need a complete rolling chassis with engine. They use various jigs and measuring gadgets to check everything out. Even a brand new bike can have a skight twist somewhere in the frame !!

sluglie
18-05-2006, 10:15 PM
most modern japanese bike frames have a 5mm tolerance at all wield points which (if the were all off the same direction) can ad up to 20-25mm twist in a frame, doesnt sound a lot i know but bloody hell does it make a difference.

i had a cbr600f4i frame put right by bob martin after some audi 4wd idiot tried to drive over me from the rear, after it came back it felt like a totaly new bike, so much more positive and controlled in corners (the bike was 1 1/2 years old and had no other issues) you will find most motorcycle race frames from club level and superstock all the way up to superbike, the first thing they do is whack it in a jig and make it dead true

sluglie
18-05-2006, 10:15 PM
most modern japanese bike frames have a 5mm tolerance at all wield points which (if the were all off the same direction) can ad up to 20-25mm twist in a frame, doesnt sound a lot i know but bloody hell does it make a difference.

i had a cbr600f4i frame put right by bob martin after some audi 4wd idiot tried to drive over me from the rear, after it came back it felt like a totaly new bike, so much more positive and controlled in corners (the bike was 1 1/2 years old and had no other issues) you will find most motorcycle race frames from club level and superstock all the way up to superbike, the first thing they do is whack it in a jig and make it dead true