PDA

View Full Version : Need some help with a vfr800 SSSA conversion

Shojeel
09-05-2007, 09:41 AM
I was reading through some of the post on this great sitetrying to find any info on a vfr800 SSSA conversion for a blade. I saw that Damo1 has done the conversion but I have a few questions for Damo.

What year is your frame on your blade? I am wondering if there is any difference in measurement between the frame where the swingarm mounts up. Mine is a 1994. And did you use those measurements that you gave to center up the shock? Any additional advice is def welcome. I will post picks as I go along. And if anyone else has any opinions please let them fly.

Gix11
09-05-2007, 10:55 AM
Hey Josh, Welcome aboard mate. Both Stu (Quikdraw) and Damo1 have done the very same thing, but the one common denominator is the fact that Ben Shaw (EXBEN) from Extreme Creations did both conversions. Any of these 3 will be along soon to help you out mate.

Shojeel
09-05-2007, 10:58 AM
Great thanks for the info. I have been running around like a chicken with my head cut off looking for anyone who has done this. Thanks alot Gix.

Gix11
09-05-2007, 11:07 AM
While you waiting for their arrival check out Stu's bike as I know you've already seen Damo's:

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/images/gallery/honda/stu/studio3.jpg

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/images/gallery/honda/stu/studio2.jpg

Shojeel
09-05-2007, 11:28 AM
Oh I saw that one on Ben site. What a B-E-A-utiful bike. I can only hope that mine is half of what that one looks like.

damo1
09-05-2007, 01:31 PM
Gday shojeel yeah you are right the frame and swinger are different.

If you read my thread properly you would have seen the measurments that you need the frame and swinger at.

But this may change slightly from bike to bike depending how you go about it.

I took about 5mm off the frame then about 6mm from memory off the swinger once it was all in there then had to machine down the sprocket carrier to align the sprokets also spaced out the engine spocket.

Mate do your self a favour for the fuck around unless you have acess to a machine shop and laths and milling machines and the likes leave it up to the pros as Gix said both Quikdraws and mine were done by exben at extreme hell let you hang around im sure and help to do the job.

yes my bike and also quiks are 94 mods with a VFR800 arm

EXBEN
09-05-2007, 02:24 PM
Although he's from the US, might be too far to come Damo.:D
Josh You need to take 7mm off the frame & 6mm off the swingarm on the opposite side. You'll also need to replace the RHS bearing with a sealed one as you are removing the existing seal.Then you need to make a spacer to go between the gap in the pivot section of the arm.
The shock allignment is easy just space the triangle plates apart with washers as required.

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/66904989116164.jpg

damo1
09-05-2007, 04:34 PM
Whoops whos a silly boy then[:I]

Sorry shojeel didnt even look where you were from:D

damo1
09-05-2007, 04:42 PM
Ah shojeel just had a thought did you actually see the tread of putting it in[?]:)

If not go to your ride section of the site and go to page i think from memory its on about 4 now look for the master and apprentice thread and theres the full story of a how to on fitting a VFR800sss
to my blade[:p]

Probly be easyier than trying to explain it.

If i knew how to drag the thread thingy over for you id do it but i cant because im a dumb fuck[:0] maybe somebody who knows how to do it could do it for you;)

Shojeel
09-05-2007, 11:03 PM
I love the warm welcomes on forums.......

Damo,

I do have access to a machine shop but by no means am I a pro like Ben. More like an apprentice like yourself. I am glad to hear that your bike is the same year as mine. This means that I can follow what you and Ben did exactly!

One question that I have for you and Ben is what size were the bolts that you replaced on the arm that hold the wheel on? And where can I buy them?

Last question for now....
How much did you space the wheel over, 16mm? And was it 2 spacers?

Thanks for everything guys and I look forward to any additional info or suggestions you have.

Shojeel
10-05-2007, 12:51 AM
Also Ben thanks for the up close picture. If you have anything else useful like that please do throw it my way.

Damo I did read through the Master and Apprentice thread a few times. It is a huge help, thanks to you and Ben.

Question, did you take the material off of the swingarm manually or through machining? Basically how did you make sure it was flat and at 7mm?

Iceman
10-05-2007, 01:09 AM
At a guess, I'd say put it in the mill.

Shojeel
10-05-2007, 01:21 AM
I guess that I am trying to be a bit lazy as it is in my nature. I don't want to have to take my frame off of my motor. So I might have to be creative.

FIGHTERMC
10-05-2007, 03:00 AM
Welcome shojeel i see you go my message on the rrzone.
your in the right place now mate these guys know there shit.
Fightermc

Shojeel
10-05-2007, 03:01 AM
These guys do now their shit. Thanks for letting me know about this place. It has all kinds of useful stuff that rrzone doesn't.

damo1
10-05-2007, 08:49 AM
For the frame we used a angle grinder with a 3mm cutting wheel.

The swing arm went in the milling machine.

The spacer we made was all up i think from memory about 25mm but dont forget im running a 7in rear wheel.

Ben could tell you about the studs he got them for me.

As for the RRZONE how do you find the site[?]

Had any run ins with that tool gixerkiller[:0]

If you need any more info just ask im sure if i cant answer it Exben will deffinatly be able to.:D

Dont forget we want photos of the build up its part of the deal here at ASF:D;)

Shojeel
10-05-2007, 09:19 AM
I find the RRzone great specifically for RR's. I mean that is what it is all about. But when it comes to fighters this site by far owns all.

Damo, you say that you are running a 7" tire? Is that the stock rim as well. Really it comes down to the bolts. If I am going to make those spacers for the rear whell I will need to know what size bolts you and Ben used and where I can buy them.

Also did you use vfr sprockets front and back or did you use the 900rr front?

Of course I will post my build but once it is finished. I am alomst done I just need the rest of my parts to come in and a little paint.

EXBEN
10-05-2007, 09:53 AM
The studs are ARP ones & are designed for putting drag wheels on a Jap car 65mm long M12 x 1.5 thread they come in a pack of 5.
You should be able to get them from one of those perfomance supermarkets you blokes have ova there.
You have to drill out the holes in the hub about half a mm cause the new studs have a slightly larger shank.
The Wheel is a 17 x 7 car rim with a 190 bike tyre on it. It's designed to go on a honda car & they have the same stud pattern as a VFR 4 x 100mm. The size spacer you use depends on the ofset of the wheel you use Stu's spacer was 6mm Damo's was 25mm , you really need to see what wheel your gonna use before you know how big to make the spacer.
The swingarm was machined in the mill & the frame was cut like Damo said but he didn't mention that you've got to scribe an accurate line 7mm in on the boss then cut on the scrap side of the line slightly then the best way to get it perfect is to finish it with a flap disk on a 4" grinder. Here's a tip, to check how accurate it is slide the swingarm pivot bolt through with one of the spacers on it then slide the spacer up against the machined face to check it's flat if not keep tweakin it till it is.
Take your time, but if your not confident don't attempt it.
Damo did his so it couldn't be that hard :D
VFR rear sprocket blade front, just be sure they are both to suit the same size chain.

Shojeel
10-05-2007, 10:04 AM
Well I am sure that I am going to use the stock wheel off of the vfr800 swingarm. Now my question is do I need those bigger bolts if I use the stock wheel? I know that they will have to be longer but will the width matter? Or is that the only way the come?

Shojeel
10-05-2007, 10:22 AM
Cool I just downloaded the ARP catalog but I see that they sell 4 and 5 packs as well as replacements. Any difference other than amount?

EXBEN
10-05-2007, 11:12 AM
Jeez your just full of questions aren't ya.
I haven't done the conversion using a standard wheel so my reccomendation would be to fit the arm first then see if you need
wheel studs/ spacer, because it may only be a few mm out so you may be able to get away with the stock studs & a spacer.
The ARP studs are the same thread as the stock ones so yes they will fit the stock wheel.

Shojeel
10-05-2007, 11:39 AM
Well now I am figuring that it will be easier for my machine guy to follow your directions as closely as possible. Not to be a copy cat or anything but I really wanna get this done so I can ride.

Can you tell me what the offset of Damo's wheel was? I am thinking of just purchasing a 17x7 and getting a 190 tire. I dunno if the offset matters.

chopiesel
10-05-2007, 12:01 PM
offset matters.

EXBEN
10-05-2007, 01:27 PM
Either 40mm or 43mm I can't remember which was mine & which was his, I think 43, anyway your options are all gonna be around that cause those wheels are all to suit front wheel drive cars.
When doing any conversion don't take whats written on the internet as law cause theres always gonna be differences between yours & someone elses setup. Always measure for yourself before you cut.

damo1
10-05-2007, 06:34 PM
So there you go the master has spoken:)

As`for it not being hard because Damo did it[:0]

Yes hes right it is easy:D

Good luck mate and yes i think my wheel was 43mm offset

Shojeel
10-05-2007, 11:59 PM
Well I am going to choose a wheel today. I am not sure if I will go with a 40 or a 43 offset though. In any case my machine guy emailed me a said that he most likely will not be able to make me the spacers. So Ben would you be able to make me the spacers or would you need the bike there?

EXBEN
11-05-2007, 12:04 AM
Yeah I can make it if you need. Get the wheel first. If you have the option go for the lesser offset. This means the spacer doesn't need to be as thick.

Shojeel
11-05-2007, 12:40 AM
17x7x40 means 17x7 wheel with a 40mm offset right? If so then......

I just bought the wheel it is a 17x7 sacchi s4 with a 40mm offset. Can you let me know what it will cost to get the spacers made and shipped. I can also buy the ARP bolts if you think that they will be needed. I am guessing that they will.

I am psyched to get this thing on the road!

FIGHTERMC
11-05-2007, 02:51 AM
Shojeel i used spacers that i got in the car shop{4x100}
one is 25mm tick and the other is 10mm tick and i got a
mate to take the centre of them out to fit over the
vfr hub also i drilled one of them to fit over the 4
nuts that hold on the brake disk.
hope this is some help to you.
fightermc

FIGHTERMC
11-05-2007, 02:57 AM
But i'd go with Ben making them up
for you as they will be right
and you don't have the fooking around
that i had.

Shojeel
11-05-2007, 03:08 AM
Agreed. I can wait on them for a little bit but I am getting the itch to ride. It has been an 80 degree week and the sun is shining. I hope Ben isn't to expensive. I am dropping about $1000 on the bke this week....... man I hate spending money, I always feel guilty for some reason.

Shojeel
11-05-2007, 06:02 AM
Quick question. Is there any difference on a car wheel to a motorcycle wheel? I mean is there a special lip the a cycle wheel has to keep the tire on better through extreme turning?

FIGHTERMC
11-05-2007, 07:20 AM
quote:Originally posted by Shojeel

Quick question. Is there any difference on a car wheel to a motorcycle wheel? I mean is there a special lip the a cycle wheel has to keep the tire on better through extreme turning?

no mate no special lip just it will take more air pressure
to get the bike tyre on the car rim,but i found it not
too bad fitting it so you should have no problem.

Shojeel
11-05-2007, 08:33 AM
Fantastic! That is the answer I was looking for.

Ben using the measurements you used for Damo's bike:

7mm off the frame LHS
6mm off of the swing arm RHS
22mm spacer since my wheel has a 40 mm offset.

That should theoretically put my wheel right in the center, right? As long as 17x7x40 means that it is 17 high 7 wide with a 40mm offset.

damo1
11-05-2007, 11:34 AM
WOO WOO WOO there sho Ben already said that the measurments may vary slightly so dont go off exactly what he said you may have to fine tune your own bike to get it exactly right.

Im sure im not out of place here in saying that we take absoulutly no and i mean NO responsability for how your mod goes where only giving you advice on how to go about it and how it worked for my bike.

Whats the deal with your machine guy not being able to make a wheel spacer[:0]i thought it would be easy for a machinist.

EXBEN
11-05-2007, 12:28 PM
quote:Shojeel Posted - 11 May 2007 : 00:40:15
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
17x7x40 means 17x7 wheel with a 40mm offset right? If so then......

I just bought the wheel it is a 17x7 sacchi s4 with a 40mm offset. Can you let me know what it will cost to get the spacers made and shipped. I can also buy the ARP bolts if you think that they will be needed. I am guessing that they will.

I am psyched to get this thing on the road!

Like Damo said you need to fit it all up first then measure what you need.
To make the spacer & post it will be about AU$200
I am a bit curious as to why you can't get someone local to make it for you. It would work out cheaper.
Like FighterMc said the wheel spacer is also a cheaper option as you can get a pair of these for about 20 bucks from an auto parts store.

Shojeel
11-05-2007, 10:18 PM
Good valid points from both of you. Sometimes I get a little ahead of myself, bad habbit. I will look into the spacers from my local auto shop. I just need to be reminded to take one step at a time.

I also need to find a front mud gaurd but am not sure as to what will fit my year of bike. Anyone know of any good sites? I have looked around on the net a bit but haven't found anything satisfactory yet.

Shojeel
11-05-2007, 11:13 PM
Another question towards the swingarm. How essential is it to have a brace between the ends of the arm? Does it help with the flexing, does it add strength?

EXBEN
11-05-2007, 11:35 PM
quote:Shojeel Posted - 11 May 2007 : 23:13:35
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Another question towards the swingarm. How essential is it to have a brace between the ends of the arm? Does it help with the flexing, does it add strength?
Yes this is a must have because the swingarm pivot pushes the swingarm accross to the left by pushing on the inner ring of the bearing. If there is no spacer it won't do this & the swingarm will float around ( not good ).
The spacer can be a piece of steel/aluminium tube as long as it fit's ova the shaft & pushes on the inner ring's of the bearings.

Shojeel
11-05-2007, 11:37 PM
I understand that, what I meant to say was should I weld a tube in between the "y" on the swingarm mounts for added strength? Will that weaken the metal?

FIGHTERMC
12-05-2007, 02:18 AM
quote:Originally posted by Shojeel

I understand that, what I meant to say was should I weld a tube in between the "y" on the swingarm mounts for added strength? Will that weaken the metal?

I'd say this has to be welded up mate and it won't weaken
it.Also what kind of mudguard are you after if it's a streetfighter one look at the parts page at the start of the site and there are a few guys that can supply you with one or use what i'm going to be using,one off a 94 blade cos it's smaller than the 96/99 blade mudguard.
frank

Shojeel
12-05-2007, 02:56 AM
I have a 94 bike and the gaurd as well. I think that I want to go more streetfighter style. Or at least somthing a bit smaller than what I have now. I checked through the main page but still didn't find anything I would like to pay for. I know that Angry Guy has some nice stuff but man they are sooooo expensive.

FIGHTERMC
12-05-2007, 03:29 AM
In that case i'd chop the shit out of the 94 one and see what you come
up with but i think the 94 one looks ok.
Frank

EXBEN
12-05-2007, 08:01 PM
quote:Shojeel Posted - 11 May 2007 : 23:37:56
You don't need to cause theres no side load between the outer's.

Shojeel
12-05-2007, 10:48 PM
Great! I get my swinger back today. I need to take the frame down until it fits in, like you guys said about 7mm. After that it is off to the shop to get my sealed bearings, make the spacer, throw the wheel on and go for a quick ride.

Then break it down again and chop up the front fender, exhaust and paint up the tail and fender. Just waiting for a few parts to come in and I am ready to go. WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPYYYYYYYYYYYY!

I will start posting after the paint is done. Talk to you guys soon. Thanks for all the help.

damo1
14-05-2007, 07:44 AM
Start posting now dont wait till its done we want progress pics:D